MG ZS Ev (2020) Charging point / Android auto not working

Shanes

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi there,

Completely new to the forum, and completely new to the car, (two days in). Loving is so far, but I've got one major issue - The USB ports.

When I plug into the right most USB port, my phone comes up with 'Slow charging, check cable / connection'.

When I plug into the tethering USB port, it charges but more to keep the battery at the same level rather then charge, where it'll state it might take an hour to charge indoors, it'll state around 3 hours in the car, which isn't the main problem, but might be a symptom of why it's misbehaving?

When I click on 'Android Auto', it tells me to plug a phone in via the USB in order to connect. My phone is plugged into the tethering socket, and I've tried two different phones (S22 Ultra & S22) and multiple different cables but not once has it said anything other than 'Please connect an android phone...".

I'm guessing it's because android auto doesn't work, but when I press the telephone, ice symbol or voice command symbol on the steering wheel, nothing happens either. Is that right?

Any ideas why this is happening? Any help would much appreciated.

I find that my phone has to be "live" (can't think of a better word!) prior to plugging in. In other words showing the main screen. Not blank or a screensaver.

Only when Android Auto is up and running does the Android Auto button on the car main screen work.

I have a Google Pixel 6 and I don't have any of the problems you describe.

Ditto Jamesie's comments above, and unlock the phone on your first attempt to connect it before pressing the Android auto button.

Your slow charging warning is a red flag for me though. Either your cables are bad or there is something going on with the car's USB power supply.

So I've gone back out, I've compress aired the ports and still the same results.

I've disabled, reinstalled, force stopped, everything I can think of on my phone, I've replugged a million times and still nothing. It just says: "Please connect an android phone to the car with a USB cable to start using android auto" - I'm quite tech savvy, so I've tried resetting everything, restarting, the phone in different states, changing settings on AA, uninstalling..

So frustrating.

I've only just got the car, is this something the warranty would look at?

I'm not sure what else I can try.

My phone is plugged in to the tethering port at the moment and it's only 85% and it says it'll take an hour and 15 minutes to charge :/

Thanks for your replies so far

Three different cables and tested they can transfer via a laptop.

Most recent Android version, I think so? My phone auto updates but I'll check that it's all up to date.

I'm starting to think that maybe the previous owner spilt something into the sockets? But then surely they just wouldn't work at all? I don't know what else to try if I'm honest

I have got my daughters low end Android tablet somewhere, maybe I'll give that a go? Could be a Samsung galaxy s22 / ultra issue? At least I could rule that out

Have you tried using the other port, I vaguely remember someone mentioning they were the wrong way round on theirs.

Tried using both ports too :/

I've all but given up by this point if I'm honest. It's a 2020 reg, do you think the warranty would cover anything like this?

I've all but given up by this point if I'm honest. It's a 2020 reg, do you think the warranty would cover anything like this?
The MG warranty may not but the sale of goods act should.
You have 6 months anyway on second hand cars.

Should be covered 36 months 45k miles warranty
Screenshot_20230404-182849.png

The 3* are for third party apps but if it's a fault usb you should be covered

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom