MG ZS EV 2022 Trophy Charging Procedure

markh12345

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi,

Just got my new zs ev trophy. I just want to clarify the charging procedure as im having issues when using the public chargers.

so...

car unlocked and turned on.
plug in charger point - locate app and start charge / tap card
press start charging on touch screen / or try app that doesnt always connect.

is this correct??

getting issues of charger connected but not charging and i press start charging and then it just times out.

i know the older models needed to be locked and ive tried this also with no luck, tried it with the car turned off and on etc.

Just not sure if its the way im doing it or is it just a faulty charger?

thanks in advance

From the manual (page 191 - 192)

Rapid Charging Safety Precautions
• Before connecting the rapid charger, switch the vehicle
power system OFF and wait 10 seconds.
Note: If at any time during the charging process you
should want to check the state of charge, please switch
the vehicle power system to the ON position. The high
voltage battery state of charge will be displayed in the
message centre in the instrument pack.
Note: Considering the safety and service life of the
high voltage battery, when using a rapid charging
station to charge the vehicle the battery will not
become fully charged, and therefore the instrument
pack may display less than 100% power. If you have a
long journey planned, it is recommended that you use
a slow charging point to charge the vehicle so as not
to affect your journey (Battery Pack Type 1

Using an AC charging device:
1 Ensure the vehicle power system is OFF and all doors
are closed.
2 Open the charging port door, remove the waterproof
plug cover from the 7 pin charging plug connector.
3 Plug the cable from the charger point into the vehicle.
4 On completion of the charge, shut off the power,
unlock the vehicle and disconnect the plug from the
vehicle.
5 Ensure the charge socket is free from debris, fit the
waterproof plug cover. Close the charging point door.

Last edited:
From the manual (page 192)

Using an AC charging device:
1 Ensure the vehicle power system is OFF and all doors
are closed.
2 Open the charging port door, remove the waterproof
plug cover from the 7 pin charging plug connector.
3 Plug the cable from the charger point into the vehicle.
Lock the vehicle.
4 On completion of the charge, shut off the power,
unlock the vehicle and disconnect the plug from the
vehicle.
5 Ensure the charge socket is free from debris, fit the
waterproof plug cover. Close the charging point door.
possibly its cos i have the doors open then ??

so do you not have to press start charge then, just plug in shut doors and then lock the car??

From the manual (page 192)
No3 don't work for me as I have the update I don't need to lock the car because if I do when I press unlock it stops charge on public charges but at home it just pause the charge 30 sec or so

I've edited the post to add the rapid charging procedure which you were asking about.

I drive up to the charger and switch off the car, read the instructions on the charger (some like you to plug in first, others to pay first), plug in the CCS connector and start charge. I then get back in the car, switch it on and watch a video or listen to some music.

No3 don't work for me as I have the update I don't need to lock the car because if I do when I press unlock it stops charge on public charges but at home it just pause the charge 30 sec or so
Agree. The manual has not been updated for the new firmware. (I'll edit that out for clarity)

Switch car off then Read instructions.. some rapids you plug in cable first then select ccs then use contactless... some you select ccs then pay then plug in

ok so for example im at a hotel tonight with free charger, i tried to connect but cant.

so if i turn off the car, shut the doors, leave unlocked and plug in the charger the light appears near the plug and on screen it says connecting but then times out and says connected but not charging.

should it just start to charge or do i need to press start charge in the app with it being a free charger??

I was recently at tallys end Barlborough. 2 old instavolt and two brand new units. There was a mg 5 charging at one of the old units. He left and i plugged in. charger said waiting for car and after a while charger timed out. Yet went to one of the new units and it worked first time

I was recently at tallys end Barlborough. 2 old instavolt and two brand new units. There was a mg 5 charging at one of the old units. He left and i plugged in. charger said waiting for car and after a while charger timed out. Yet went to one of the new units and it worked first time
this is the problem im finding and i wasnt sure if it was me or just the chargers...

i tried the one at the hotel here for about 20 mins and then gave up.

just noticed another car in the bay now charging so it worked for them but not me !!

ok so for example im at a hotel tonight with free charger, i tried to connect but cant.

so if i turn off the car, shut the doors, leave unlocked and plug in the charger the light appears near the plug and on screen it says connecting but then times out and says connected but not charging.

should it just start to charge or do i need to press start charge in the app with it being a free charger??
If there is a button in the app to start charge then I would use it

Once you've plugged in the charger then lock your car that will then lock the charge port and should start charging unless the charger needs to be started from an app.

You will only need to lock car if you don't hear the car lock the charge plug in automatically (ie cars on old software)

Is there a way to know if the car has the update?
Yes if you on charge AC home if you unlock car charge should pause so you can remove cable on non updated car you have to stop charge in car to remove cable
This is a side effect of the update to stop cars bricking on DC charges as there was a problem with 1st batch

Turn Car Off. Read instructions on charger. Follow instructions on charger. Lock car, go get something to eat.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom