MG ZS EV 2022 - Vehicle Control System Fault [Solved]

jseabra

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi,

I got a brand new MG ZS EV Long Range and at 200 miles (2nd day) I stopped to charge it in a fast charger, with the battery at 16%.
The charger wasn't working and gave no charging sign but when I got back to the car I had a "vehicle control system fault" in the dashboard. I tried all the tricks I could find, including disconnecting the battery for more than 10m but nothing worked. The road assistance tried to read the car via ODB but their system didnt work and the car had to be towed back to MG.
It seems to me this issue is slightly different from other reported for 1st gen.

Has anyone faced similar issue in 2022 MG? What was the issue?
Do you know if it's possible to delete errors via OBD app like torquepro or others?

Thanks

Hi,

I got a brand new MG ZS EV Long Range and at 200 miles (2nd day) I stopped to charge it in a fast charger, with the battery at 16%.
The charger wasn't working and gave no charging sign but when I got back to the car I had a "vehicle control system fault" in the dashboard. I tried all the tricks I could find, including disconnecting the battery for more than 10m but nothing worked. The road assistance tried to read the car via ODB but their system didnt work and the car had to be towed back to MG.
It seems to me this issue is slightly different from other reported for 1st gen.

Has anyone faced similar issue in 2022 MG? What was the issue?
Do you know if it's possible to delete errors via OBD app like torquepro or others?

Thanks
Happened to us today as well. Almost same as you... This could be my post. Only difference is mine did start to charge and mine happened too late to be towed to dealer so its on my drive for now. Getting towed back with hazards on etc has now caused 12v to drop below 12v so now we are getting every fault under the sun come up. It's basically shut down every system.

Hi,
Bad luck day for both of us ;-)
I expect to have a diagnostic by MG tomorrow so I'll keep you posted.

Did they give you a courtesy car?
I didn't request it yet, I need it but I'm not in a rush. I was informed they will only get the car Wed. at the garage, so Ill give some time for diag and depending on the severity / time issue takes to solve I will consider it.
Let me know how it goes on your side. :cool:

I didn't request it yet, I need it but I'm not in a rush. I was informed they will only get the car Wed. at the garage, so Ill give some time for diag and depending on the severity / time issue takes to solve I will consider it.
Let me know how it goes on your side. :cool:
I'm having a 'mare. Car is still on my drive. Can't find a dealer locally who can take the car before 6th April. Nobody seems to want to answer me when I ask about a hire/courtesy car. AA seem to know less about EVs than my nan... Not a great start and not filling me with confidence for the next 4 years of ownership.

My MG5 LR could not charge at rapid charger yesterday. The car shown system fault and the HV battery fault. I have called AA assistance. The guys told me that it has many MG cars have similar cases within this days. At last, I drove my car to Tesco to use the 7Kw charger to charge more than 4 hours and back to home. I arrived at home at 2:00 am. The mileage is left 12 miles!!

IMG_6802.jpg

My MG5 LR could not charge at rapid charger yesterday. The car shown system fault and the HV battery fault. I have called AA assistance. The guys told me that it has many MG cars have similar cases within this days. At last, I drove my car to Tesco to use the 7Kw charger to charge more than 4 hours and back to home. I arrived at home at 2:00 am. The mileage is left 12 miles!!

View attachment 7458
Did AA assistance clear the fault log and it came up to life? How did you solve it?

Did AA assistance clear the fault log and it came up to life? How did you solve it?

They could not fix it. I went to the nearest Tesco and charing my car 4 hours till to 12:00 midnight and drove back to home,

Today, I go to Tesco and try 50kW charger. It's works.

I have booked the MG service on 23 Mar. Let's see what they say.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Gen 1 did same thing last year whilst on holiday to York, RAC knew nothing other than it was a car with 4 wheels. Low loadered back to Essex, which took 6 days) Glyn Hopkins said the 12v battery was low, jumped started it and its been fine ever since, even with the original battery fitted.

Picking my car up in the morning from the dealer. Didn't tell me what they've done to fix it so will ask in the morning when collecting but glad to have it back. 6 days off the road total albeit it took me about 3 days to find a dealer who could take it and look at it straight away.
Ask for a VDS report which should list out a log of all events that have occurred on the car. If you get it, please share it. Just curious what events/faults it exhibits.

Just got the car!

I plugged it in the charger while the car was in start mode. This generates an error that locks the car with the error above and can only be deleted by OBDII by MG. It's stated in the manual that you should never charge the car in Ready state. Also the 12v battery discharged probably because of this. They replaced the battery with a brand new one and deleted the error.

I charged at a fast charger and the car is working just fine.

Hope this helps :)

Just got the car!

I plugged it in the charger while the car was in start mode. This generates an error that locks the car with the error above and can only be deleted by OBDII by MG. It's stated in the manual that you should never charge the car in Ready state. Also the 12v battery discharged probably because of this. They replaced the battery with a brand new one and deleted the error.

Congratulations on getting you dragon's tooth (as rare as . . .) :)

Just got the car!

So the advice for the rest of us it to use this waiting time to actually read the manual :LOL:

Enjoy the car - nice to see some deliveries are making it.

I think the manual also suggest that once it is charging you can turn the car on to use the heater and such, but it won't be in Ready mode as the charger is plugged in.

I know I've been very careful using fast chargers after reading some posts on here, basically I've turned the car off and counted to 10 before even getting out an plugging it in.

When stopping for a fast charge on the M1, we attempted to charge with the vehicle still switched on - our mistake! Sadly we got the "Vehicle Control System Fault" message, and the vehicle locked. This was worrying. However after switching on and off a few times, and a wait of a few minutes. The message cleared, and it was possible to drive again. The moral of the story - always switch off before plugging in your fast charger.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom