MG ZS EV 80% charge distance

chrisaustralia

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi
Mg zs trophy long range 11/2022
My mg is doing 149 miles on 80% charge,short local journeys,max 55 miles round trip.
Every time I charge to 80% it says around 149 miles,which is rubbish considering the car is supposed to do 270 miles 100%
What is everyone else getting,I know it’s winter(sort of)
Also I can’t get my i phone to pair with car,!!
It keeps saying can’t sync

If you want to see more miles reset both trip meters
But it doesn't mean you'll actually get more it's to be expected this time of year
Remember to do a good balanced charge every now and then

It's when you charge to 100% then keep it on charge say over night so cells can have time to balance\equalisation

Do you use a home 7kW EVSE or rapid charger?
You can only battery balance on a fast AC charger. Just leave it plugged in after it has reached 100% the charge rate will drop to 300-500w.

I just charged to 100% for the first time since picking the car up in September, plugged into the home 7kw charger (EO Mini Pro 2) it got to 100 and stopped, no more current being drawn. How do I know if The balance happened, needs to happen?
tia
adrian

I just charged to 100% for the first time since picking the car up in September, plugged into the home 7kw charger (EO Mini Pro 2) it got to 100 and stopped, no more current being drawn. How do I know if The balance happened, needs to happen?
tia
adrian
Just leave the charger plugged in when it reaches 100% and it will self balance if needed for a number of hours depending on condition.

Just leave the charger plugged in when it reaches 100% and it will self balance if needed for a number of hours depending on condition.
That’s what I expected, but it wasn’t drawing any current, so I can assume it didn’t need to balance. Just surprised as it was 1st time charging to 100% in 4 months of ownership (usually only charge to 80%) as that is recommended for the battery on the long range ZS

And to the original question, my long range is showing 184 miles @100% similar, lots of short journeys, max usually about 30 round trip

And to the original question, my long range is showing 184 miles @100% similar, lots of short journeys, max usually about 30 round trip
And the original answer was if you want to see your original factory gom mileage you need to reset both trip counters

That’s what I expected, but it wasn’t drawing any current, so I can assume it didn’t need to balance. Just surprised as it was 1st time charging to 100% in 4 months of ownership (usually only charge to 80%) as that is recommended for the battery on the long range ZS
How were you monitoring how much current the car was drawing?
As it's only 300-500w you will probably only see it on your IHD if you know you background usage.

Unplug it then plug it back in again, see if that starts it balancing.

But you need to do to 100% with balance it's actually recommended once a month
Where is this recommended? I've not heard of this for an EV before, despite having driven/owned EV's since 2016.

Certainly Tesla and Nissan only recommend charging to 100% before a long journey and not frequently. On the Nissan Leaf, when the display shows 100% the battery is actually at 95%, so it's not possible to charge to 100%

@RetiredPope
This is MG
Screenshot_20221211-013810.png

Here is info on Tesla battery balancing

As for nissan they do it differently they drain the high cells to match the low ones

Last edited:
I really do have a problem with this recommendation from MG but only on the LONG RANGE model and would be extremely grateful if somebody can explain to me why I have wrong ??.
We know and understand that the battery chemistry in the standard range is completely different to that in the long range version ✅.
In the standard range model you NOT able to set a percentage charging level, you have to charge to 100% every single time, so therefore as you are likely to leave the car plugged in and go on to commence a HV battery balance / equalizing cycle ( same thing, different name ).
The long range has a different chemistry and that MG recommends that for daily use and shorter trips, you charge the battery up to 80% and then ONLY charge to 100% level for longer journeys to assist with long term HV battery life ✅.
Okay, I can totally understand and see the point of this recommendation due to battery chemistry.
However, as we already know a balance charge can NOT commence until the HV battery has reached 100% fully charged.
Now compare the above MG recommendation of :- "In order to maintain the health of the high - voltage battery pack, the customer should carry out equalizing charge once a month".
Then that is contradiction in terms, on the long range model surely ❌?.
So, if by charging to 80% SOC on a LR totally suits the customer needs for the majority of their usage, why are you then having to follow guidance to then charge to 100% and balance at least 12 times a year to satisfy this advice, I clearly see this as contradiction in terms surely ??.
They both don't work hand in hand really, do they ???.
Restrict your charging to 100% to maintain the health of your battery(y) followed by charge 100% once a month to perform a balance(n).
Surly it has to be an incorrect "cut and paste" exercise and applied to the LR model ?.
Which is not uncommon in the manual as we know.
Answers on a post card to MG Customer Services.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom