Mg zs ev audio

Hey, just bought this car for my wife. Going to upgrade the speakers, can you please help me confirm it’s 6.5 in the front, what size are the rear speakers ?
Hi, The standard speakers are around 5.25" moulded into its own casing. You'll need some adapters to fit 6.5" speakers. I used these which we a good fit but you'll still need to drill another hole to mount to the door.

Attachments

• IMG20201231144950.jpg
    IMG20201231144950.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 1,395
  • IMG20201230213312.jpg
    IMG20201230213312.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 736
Hello

Yes it can be done. I upgraded all 6 speakers to focal and a under seat sub also the focal brand. I usually do this myself but in this instance I had a independent do it for me as I had the car sound deadened at the same time. If you are just replacing the speakers it should just be door cards off and a straight forward speaker replacement with adaptors.
What is the size of rear door speaker??

Hi, The standard speakers are around 5.25" moulded into its own casing. You'll need some adapters to fit 6.5" speakers. I used these which we a good fit but you'll still need to drill another hole to mount to the door.

Thank you so much that’s very helpful. Assuming then that the rear doors will be the same? I am hoping to add some focal 6.5 component speakers plus amplifier. Also hoping I can replace the tweeters too. Are you really pleased with the difference? The other thing I am hoping to add is sound deadening into the doors given they will have to come off anyway. Actually, is the door fairly easy to take apart, I haven’t done this sort of thing in quite a while.

Thank you so much that’s very helpful. Assuming then that the rear doors will be the same? I am hoping to add some focal 6.5 component speakers plus amplifier. Also hoping I can replace the tweeters too. Are you really pleased with the difference? The other thing I am hoping to add is sound deadening into the doors given they will have to come off anyway. Actually, is the door fairly easy to take apart, I haven’t done this sort of thing in quite a while.
Hello, Glad it helped and yes the rears are the same so will require adapters for 6.5".

My install is replacement front, rear speakers, tweeters and an active underseat sub but no additional amp. I'm still playing around with the headunit settings but yes definitely improved over the standard setup. Wish I had more control over the tweeters which seem really bright or too much volume and not really inline with the speakers. Probably more me though to be honest. It does need an amp though to get the best control and performance, which is lacking from my setup. I didn't want to get carried away fitting an amp especially with a dodgy back.😭

Door panels really easily to remove, 2 covers, screws then pry from the bottom corner upwards. See link

This was the sound deadening I used. Amazon product ASIN B00URUIKAK
I only had a few sheets left so mainly used it around the adaptors and dotted around the doors.

Hope it goes well and will be nice to know how you get on.

These are the old speakers just so you get an idea of what they look like. Use this link on how to remove door card.
PREVIEW
2:00
MG ZS front door panel removal
YouTube · jeff tan ACA Tan
20 Nov 2019
I'm looking for the speaker box so I can tell you the model that was used. I did turn the sub off and played with the equalizer and you can turn it up with no distortion and a decent amount of bass. I still prefer having a sub though but that's just me.
What size the front and rear door speakers? Is it 6" or 6.5"

Just reading though the comments.
I think I will upgrade speakers as well.
I don’t see the model number for the focal speakers. Just don’t want to buy ones that won’t fit. Anyone got model numbers.
Thanks

I am very interested which type of Focal or other respected brand) or what exact size would work?) will be good replacement for the current (Luxury / Exclusive version) speakers. Do I need to replace all, or would replacing the two main front-door speakers by already a good plan?

Has anyone found a solution for the USB stick issue that al FLAC music files in a folder seem to have a not playing duplicate? ( I am pretty happy that its working for FAT32 and ExFAT configured sticks).
My flac files are playing great.

Hi,

No problem at all. It wasnt too hard at all but as long as you're ok at taking things apart you should be fine.
For the headunit removal I followed this youtube guide:

The hardest part was removing the radio bezel surround as this wouldn't budge and was scared of snapping this but it does take a bit of brute force to a certain degree. Once off then just 4 screws to removal the radio. I taped into the front left/right speakers wires to connect the Kenwood KSC-SW11 sub (under drivers seat) and took the power and switch remote from the fuse box on the passenger side.

I was going to remove the seat to make wiring easily but no need really. The loom from the sub can tuck and run down the side of the centre console to the front then up at the back of the dash behind the radio then through to the passenger side fuse box.

Quite impressed with this sub for the money as didn't want to spend a lot just for some fill in bass which is seems to do well. My days of twin 15" parcel shelf subs, mdf boxes and multiple amps are long gone but depends what you're into, as this can run away once you start.

I would say the Focal ibus range with the right iso adapters is neater solution and easily to connect without cutting wires or soldering.

I would certainly fit the active sub first and see what you think. I feel this will give you the biggest noticeable difference. As said I've replaced the front speakers with 6.5" with adapters from the oem fit which were just over 5" and replaced the tweeters. I cant seem to balance right on these and for the effort I would just start by adding the sub. Reading Allen78 setup, it does sound great though using more premium speakers and been a complete setup all round front/rear/sub.

I will stop waffling now :)

Sorry in advance, Im not the best at describing "how to" nor is my grammar.

Hope this helps anyway and I have a few strip down photos if required.

Yes it was a Bitch getting the radio bezel off, but as you say brute force does it. I could piercing it out on the driver side works better. The bottom clips were the worst. I took them out altogether as I was just having a look till I wire it all up next week.

Hi,

Old post but I just got my ZS EV Long Range and really need to upgrade the audio. Do you still have the mesures of the old speakers? Worth a shot before I take the doorcovers off :)
Really want to. Still perfectly reasonable to want to if an enhanced sound is desired.

I had some unexpectedly good results with (inexpensive) Vibe Slick 6" components a Suzuki which I'm planning to repeat on the MG EV. The key seemed to be to use some high density foam to make an acoustic seal between the speakers (in adapter rings) and the door card (which I then added some felt to and some dynamat where it was thin - the MG may not need that).

My hope was to make the woeful factory system at least audible for talk radio... but the sound is heavy, clear and full-range - 100dB at 40Hz from the factory head unit.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom