MG ZS EV Brake discs

a6taxipl

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Just over 4400 miles and getting grinding noise from rear brakes (low speed braking).
So photos of all 4. Clearly 2 fronts are smoother than rears. How's yours looks like?

Attachments

• IMG_20210304_152801.jpg
    IMG_20210304_152801.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20210304_152816.jpg
    IMG_20210304_152816.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20210304_152831.jpg
    IMG_20210304_152831.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20210304_152847.jpg
    IMG_20210304_152847.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 211
Rear brake disc scale / rust, is a direct result of our good old friend "Max Re-gen".
The rear brakes get very little usage due to Re-gen and therefore rust / scale builds up quickly.
I think it is very likely that rear disc's could get replaced prematurely due to scale and rust build up and NOT down to wear / scoring from the brake pads.
In wear terms only, I could see a set of rear pads lasting the life of the car !.

From the photos does not look like a lot of wear. Likely to be scoring. Something caught between the pad and disc. Increased use of brakes should get rid of that.
I have the same problem with my hybrid. Have to get them cleaned out every year.
Don’t be tempted to (unless you know what you are doing) to clean this out yourself. Brake dust gets everywhere. One place you definitely don’t want it is in your lungs.

Yes - EV brakes get nowhere near the use and subsequent wear of those on an ICE car. The rear brakes even less than the fronts. Far less brake dust and much cleaner wheels! The negative side is they can seize up if used very lightly and in salty/adverse conditions. Most cars will need the brake pads taking out and a general clean and light grease of certain (no not the face of the pads!) mating surfaces before reassembly. The linings and discs will usually last a long time - the biggest issue being disc corrosion due to lack of use - although this is partially true for any car that is not used much.

Does regen work in "R" ?
Just thinking maybe you could clean light rust off by reversing then braking.

Take it round the Nurburgring that’ll sort them out!

From the photos does not look like a lot of wear. Likely to be scoring. Something caught between the pad and disc. Increased use of brakes should get rid of that.
I have the same problem with my hybrid. Have to get them cleaned out every year.
Don’t be tempted to (unless you know what you are doing) to clean this out yourself. Brake dust gets everywhere. One place you definitely don’t want it is in your lungs.
Noone recommended WD40 yet lol

I've noticed the rear brakes (electronic handbrake) is a bit "sticky" sometimes in the mornings, can feel it ping/release when I start reversing off drive sometimes.
Same here !.
My previous PHEV did the he same thing.
If I wash the car and use a mild alloy wheel cleaner, then rinse off with clean water, then leave overnight.
The handbrake can release with a heavy “Clunk”.
If I run the car around the block and apply the foot brake a few times, before parking up for the night.
The following morning, the handbrake will release more easily and with no “Clunk”.

Just checked my brake disks. Done 1500miles now since got 6 weeks ago.
The rear brake disks definitely look scored - one side has 3 or 4 "groves" all the way around!

I know they're not used much, but blimey that's not good.

Just checked my brake disks. Done 1500miles now since got 6 weeks ago.
The rear brake disks definitely look scored - one side has 3 or 4 "groves" all the way around!

I know they're not used much, but blimey that's not good.
I wouldn’t worry too much as all discs gets scored. As long as they are not badly scored, worn or corroded. The effective area that the brake pads operate on is not really impacted by light scoring. the odd stone will always get stuck in there and score the disc. The worst enemy on EV’s is lack of use and seizing/rust. It is worth now and then giving the brakes a bit of a work out if your normal driving means that they get very light usage. Nothing too severe. As i previously mentioned it is also worth popping the brake pads out every couple of years and having a general clean up and regrease, depending on use and road conditions.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom