MG ZS ev Brake disk corrosion

jdavies414

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just completed 1st service at 8.5k miles. Only item mentioned was minor corrosion on brakes. Dealer suggested it was because car did not do many miles!! My L200 only does 5k a year and no corrosion.
I use setting '3' KERS, and, seem to hardly touch the brake pedal. Basically I think that then is causing this issue. So I will occasionally set KERS at '1' and use the brakes!
Anyone else had this issue?

Disks won't get scrubbed as much due to regen. The rears will likely be scored though possibly due to ACC use.

Premature brake disc corrosion and brake friction pads sticking in the callipers, is a recognised issue on a lot of on EV's as they age.
This is certainly more evident in EV's rather than a ICE cars.
Mainly down to the lack of friction brake use, due to Regen braking taking over for most of the braking needs of the car.
This subject has been raised before and many have agreed that this so called "Pitting / Corrosion" is very likely to be a magnet at the time of service visits and MOT's.
As is clearly evident at the time of your visit !.
May I be as bold to suggest they are looking for work ?.
They have noted it on the system, that's for sure.
I would not even consider for a minute, replacing disc's at 8,500 miles.
The fiction pad material is likely to out last the car :ROFLMAO:.
Typically in this case, less mileage covered by the car is going to be an issue.
Owners covering MORE miles are less likely to be as badly affected by this situation I think you will find.

Not using the brakes brings its own set of potential problems.
It would probably be a good idea to occasionally do some high speed hard braking just to clean everything up.

Just completed 1st service at 8.5k miles. Only item mentioned was minor corrosion on brakes. Dealer suggested it was because car did not do many miles!! My L200 only does 5k a year and no corrosion.
I use setting '3' KERS, and, seem to hardly touch the brake pedal. Basically I think that then is causing this issue. So I will occasionally set KERS at '1' and use the brakes!
Anyone else had this issue?
This is a Known issue on EV’s as most of your braking is done by the regen on the motor which means your actual brakes are used very little, therefore are more prone to rusting/ sticking thru lack of use.
I was advised when first getting an EV to once a week do at least one journey with no regen and use your normal braking simply to overcome this issue as it makes sure your brakes are actually being used therefore not leading to this issue.

Not using the brakes brings its own set of potential problems.
It would probably be a good idea to occasionally do some high speed hard braking just to clean everything up.
I tries this the other day on my MG5 and got rid of the sleeping noise and cleaned them up well.

Hi,

Good idea to use the brakes regularly.

I've used this for some time to prevent rust starting on the discs and calipers. Water based and simply spray on occasionally through the alloys. Works very well and a bottle lasts a long time.

Bilt Hamber Atom Mac Migratory Contact Corrosion Inhibitor 500ml (New Larger Bottle) Amazon product ASIN B08L4Y4GJQ

That's interesting @Aussi55. Do you find it affects the brakes at all? Do you need to "burn it off" by using the brakes a bit to get full stopping power? Thanks :)

Hi,

Good idea to use the brakes regularly.

I've used this for some time to prevent rust starting on the discs and calipers. Water based and simply spray on occasionally through the alloys. Works very well and a bottle lasts a long time.

Bilt Hamber Atom Mac Migratory Contact Corrosion Inhibitor 500ml (New Larger Bottle) Amazon product ASIN B08L4Y4GJQ
Thanks for sharing this. It looks interesting. How about the inside of the brake disc that’s mostly covered by the splash guard? I guess it’s hard to protect this?

Hi,

I've only used this on ice cars and it did a great job of protecting the calipers and discs free from corrosion.

Yet to see how it does on the MG. As you point out it's much harder to get at the areas you can't see.

I guess you could use something like this to apply:

Depends on how far you want to go I guess.

You dilute it and it's water based. I never noticed any reduction in braking.

I think it wise to use the brakes regularly too as that helps keep them working properly.

This is a Known issue on EV’s as most of your braking is done by the regen on the motor which means your actual brakes are used very little, therefore are more prone to rusting/ sticking thru lack of use.
I was advised when first getting an EV to once a week do at least one journey with no regen and use your normal braking simply to overcome this issue as it makes sure your brakes are actually being used therefore not leading to this issue.
Toyota sussed this EV issue back in 1996 when they made the Toyota RAV4 EV fully electric version and fitted aluminium brake disks, no corrosion issues due to regen hardly any wear either

Are you sure aluminium is very soft?
Motorcycle disks are usually stainless steel.
I could get 100k out of my pads in my ford ranger and that was used for towing. That never had any corrosion issues.

Are you sure aluminium is very soft?
Motorcycle disks are usually stainless steel.
I could get 100k out of my pads in my ford ranger and that was used for towing. That never had any corrosion issues.
Yes 100% sure, and so were Toyota, a brilliant idea for a car that has regenerative braking as the main form of retardation, possibly other makers will catch up one day? As the only RAV4 EV in the UK I had hands on and touched the brake disks myself

Last edited:
Didn't know that. That's something new I've learnt.
My Guzzi's disks have a fairly large steel content for bike disks if it's stood for awhile I almost go over the bars when I first use them.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom