MG ZS EV- Charging using 3 pin UK

navneeth1986

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi,

How long does it take to charge the car to 90% using the standard 3 pin UK power? Without Type-2 charging pod.

Also, by default is the electricity charges low during midnight? or is it only if we change the plan to Green energy, I am with British Gas.

Kindly advice.

Thanks

Hi,

How long does it take to charge the car to 90% using the standard 3 pin UK power? Without Type-2 charging pod.

Also, by default is the electricity charges low during midnight? or is it only if we change the plan to Green energy, I am with British Gas.

Kindly advice.

Thanks
Roughly speaking 3 pin charges at about 2.4kwh per hour so,

44KWH ZS to 90% from 0% is 40kwh so 16.5hrs
51KWH ZS is 45kwh so 19hrs from 0% to 90%
73KWH ZS is 66kwh so 27hrs from 0% to 90%

These are very rough figures and are for gross battery size and assuming a linear charging curve.

When I used the granny on my MG5 I was going between something like 20-80% which took about 12-14 hours.
Over night tariffs like Octopus Go is a max of 5 hours so you won't get it all charged economy 7 is a bit longer but then your day rate will be higher.

Ok. Thanks Guys, Hmm 12 hours isn't that bad. Thinking if I really need a pod charger. I usually make short trip and occasional long ones.

Got recommended for a Rolec smart charger, which apparently charges only when the rates are really low, which I think inturn I need to change the plan with my supplier right.

I am using standard charger at home now. 77KW battery, 3 hours for topping up about 10%

Attachments

• Granny_2.jpg
    Granny_2.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 145
Ok. Thanks Guys, Hmm 12 hours isn't that bad. Thinking if I really need a pod charger. I usually make short trip and occasional long ones.

Got recommended for a Rolec smart charger, which apparently charges only when the rates are really low, which I think inturn I need to change the plan with my supplier right.
If long trips are only occasional then you might just want to charge with the granny charger. I have a Pod-Point wall charger and rarely use it.

You have to sign up to a supplier for cheaper overnight tariffs. Octopus Go is an EV favourite. Not sure if they taking on new business at the moment.

Check with Octopus Go or Go Faster Tariff. This is what I am on:
1643981545250.png
1643981567190.png

Go Faster gives you a choice of 5 hour nightly window starting 9.30pm. You can change it to any 5 hour window ending before 5.30am I think. So you can start at 10, 10.30,11 and so on until 12.30am I think if you wish to. GO will give you a 4 hour window but fixed between 12.30-4.30am and it costs 7.5p With the current sky high electricity prices, you will be looking at atleast about 25p without changing to these plans unless you are on a fixed plan prior to Aug 2021 and paying lot lesser.
IMO If you have a 7kw charger at home, it helps to go with the cheaper night rates. I also tend to shift the usage of electricals like washing machines and dishwashers after 9.30pm currently and it helps keeping my electricity costs down.

You have to sign up to a supplier for cheaper overnight tariffs. Octopus Go is an EV favourite. Not sure if they taking on new business at the moment.
They are taking on new customers but we cannot signup online. One has to call them up to sign up.

Another question, if I am using a granny charger. is there a way to set the starting time for the charging via the App or via the infotainment system?

Thanks Guys, Feeling anxious to change suppliers right now given there are loads of them going bust.
Your concerns are valid but from what I know and understand, Octopus is here to stay. Am not marketing for them as such but I think they are the best ones right now IMO and offer good services.

Ah darn, spoke to Octopus, They are taking new customers at the moment. But they will need a smart meter with the current supplier, which I don't have. British Gas are really slow at this. :(

Ah darn, spoke to Octopus, They are taking new customers at the moment. But they will need a smart meter with the current supplier, which I don't have. British Gas are really slow at this. :(
Oh ok. I signed up with them last October and I don't think they had that rule back then. I had the smart meter installed by them after my switch over. But with the current situation, they may have changed their onboarding process.

ah ok. Right now british gas has a electric vehicle plan, which is around 15p(off-peak), which is okish, not cheap as Octo. thinking about that now.

Check with edf as well. They did something called GoElectric 35 plan. Scottish Power had an electric plan as well. Worth shopping around. Not sure who are accepting new customers though.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom