MG ZS EV Connected but not charging

Hi, I’m having similar issues with my ZS ev (mark 2) I was travelling to London recently from the midlands and the charger didn’t work on multiple sites. I actually had the EV tech at the rapid charger on the service station and he couldn’t get it to work either. Between the pair of us, we also couldn’t get the damn thing to come out either! Eventually it worked but there was no difference in the working attempt to the times it didn’t work.
I am now struggling to charge it tonight at home and despite multiple attempts to plug and unplug it isn’t working :(
Final point, it often gets stuck in the charge point and will not come out for love or money despite unlocking car etc. I feel a trip to the dealer is going to happen. It’s a shame as it’s a great car other than these issues.

Did you try ending the charge from the screen in the car to release the cable?

If all else fails - From the manual :

C85FE44D-E084-42BB-9E29-3D0D6AAF8B02.jpeg

F469F44D-10B8-4883-81A5-B90A94A2D3FB.jpeg

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I’ve ended it from the car and the phone app. It seems to stay locked for quite some time after failing to charge, meaning you can’t take it out and try another charge point. Eventually charged last night!

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I’ve ended it from the car and the phone app. It seems to stay locked for quite some time after failing to charge, meaning you can’t take it out and try another charge point. Eventually charged last night!
Turned up at Sainsburys pod point last week. Plugged in - car said ‘charging’ and went shopping. Came back, still had about 4 hours to fully charge. Opened the door lock but couldn’t pull out the cable - still locked in car port. Couldn’t interact with podpoint app, as it wouldn’t connect (but didn’t kill the charge after 15 minutes as it should) So popped the bonnet, pulled the string and released the cable. All OK. Returned to same point this week and couldn’t get charging to start - couldn’t hear the lock engage. Tried lock/unlock for several times but wouldn’t work. I’m just wondering if pulling the manual release left the lock in a state where the electronics thought it had been pulled I.e the string didn’t fully return to it’s ‘on’ position IYKWIM…
Haven’t tried it yet, but I intend to pull the string again and release it while it’s at full extension, so that it pops back in - rather than just releasing it gently…. Will also clean the cable connectors with iso-propyl alcohol and a cotton bud to see if that helps. I have. 20 reg ZS EV exclusive with comfort 2 and BMS update that allows open door charging BTW.

We had this problem when we took our new ZS EV LR to France. Nearly missed the boat. Tried unsuccessfully to charge at a Lidl on the outskirts of Coventry, took it across the road to Morrisons, same problem. Called out MG Assist aka The AA. They turned up, eventually, and their report was:
Connected EV charging station and member connected. Vehicle display showing error message on dash charger connected but not charging. Have the charging cable a bit of pressure and a wiggle in charging slot, cable then locked in and started charging. Possible charging lock jamming.

The problem returned in France but I managed to get charges using 22KVA chargers (which of course only give 7KVA). That got us as far as Banbury on the way home, where there is an InstaVolt charging station near the Premier Inn. Same problem, called out MG Assist again. Nathan turned up and found a video on his AA tablet which showed him how to push the locking pin back in. That got us as far as Wetherby Services, where I got a successful charge and reached home.

The local dealer (Croxdale Motors) cannot find a fault and we have left it that I am trying various rapid chargers and when it fails again I will take it to them. Which is not satisfactory as we have a trip planned to London around Christmas.

For my MG5 SR I have a granny charger, which in 18 months I've used maybe 3 times. The rest of the time I use PodPoint. This has been free at Tesco until a few weeks ago, but you still get 15 minutes free without needing to use the PodPoint app, before the device automatically ends the charge. As I only average about 11 miles a day, I've been taking advantage of the 15-minute free charge. On occasions I've wanted to do a further consecutive charge. You need to unlock the car, disconnect both cable ends, then reconnect (car first, Podpoint second). The green light on Podpoint flashes green for sometimes up to a minute and the in-car display reads "connected not charging". When the green light stops flashing it takes a few seconds before the display reads "charging". The car does not need to be locked whilst this is happening (but remember to lock it before you walk away)! I have once or twice rushed the procedure for the second charge, and the Podpoint light remains flashing and charging does not start. If this happens the only solution is to unlock the car, disconnect cables, wait patiently, and start again. If I need a longer charge time, I use the Podpoint app and am charged 28p per kWh which is still cheaper than the 35p/kWh charged by my British Gas tariff.

Last edited by a moderator:
For my MG5 SR I have a granny charger, which in 18 months I've used maybe 3 times. The rest of the time I use PodPoint. This has been free at Tesco until a few weeks ago, but you still get 15 minutes free without needing to use the PodPoint app, before the device automatically ends the charge. As I only average about 11 miles a day, I've been taking advantage of the 15-minute free charge. On occasions I've wanted to do a further consecutive charge. You need to unlock the car, disconnect both cable ends, then reconnect (car first, Podpoint second). The green light on Podpoint flashes green for sometimes up to a minute and the in-car display reads "connected not charging". When the green light stops flashing it takes a few seconds before the display reads "charging". The car does not need to be locked whilst this is happening (but remember to lock it before you walk away)! I have once or twice rushed the procedure for the second charge, and the Podpoint light remains flashing and charging does not start. If this happens the only solution is to unlock the car, disconnect cables, wait patiently, and start again. If I need a longer charge time, I use the Podpoint app and am charged 28p per KWh which is still cheaper than the 35p KWh charged by my British Gas tariff.
But not on CCS?

I can't get mine to charge anywhere. I've had it two days now. Tried the three pin charger at home, all I could get was connected but not charging. Same at my neighbours house. Tried genie point tonight and got nowhere. Couldn't even get the connected message. Know the point was working as I had to wait for the tesla in front of me to finish.
Also the lead doesn't seem to lock into the car. Is that normal?
Thanks
We have ours in the dealers at the moment with a similar issue.
MG5 - had it five weeks and will not charge at any charging point.
Tried BP, Gridserve, Genie but nothing will work.
Radio silence from the dealer at present so I assume it’s not a quick fix.
Remember that you can ‘reject’ the car if you’ve had it for less than 30 days and get a full refund.
Consumer Protection Act, 2015.
Thats what I’m doing if this carries on.

Hi
I have tried to charge my ZS EV 2020 first time at fast charging station at schell patrol station. I had same issue it come up with message connected but not charging. I want too different charging station had same problems. This is first time l am charging vehicle but not sure if the problems is with my car or charging station. Is something l am doing wrong not followings correct procedure.

Any help or advice l will be greatfull

Hi
I have tried to charge my ZS EV 2020 first time at fast charging station at schell patrol station. I had same issue it come up with message connected but not charging. I want too different charging station had same problems. This is first time l am charging vehicle but not sure if the problems is with my car or charging station. Is something l am doing wrong not followings correct procedure.

Firstly, did you follow the procedure on the charger? Some need you to plug in first, others need you to use your debit card or app first. Second, have you got scheduled charging set? Those are the most obvious I can think of to start with.

Yea I did follow procedure according to the charger but it still failed. I am thinking to use 3 pin charger slow one which come with car to see if the car charger from that.

The other questions I have in mind I was wondering if someone can advise.

I was thinking to setup home charge which is best one to go for?

Has anyone used commando version of 7 kW cable charger in this forum and do we know if they work with MG ZS EV 2020?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Did you try locking the car ?

Well, this just got very odd.
quick update….
I bought my MG5, secondhand, (8 months old) and it broke down, refusing to charge.
I had it for 36 days before it went kaput.
Dealer has had it now for three weeks. Repaired it after two weeks and called me to go and collect it - then called me back an hour later to say it had broken down again as they were getting it ready for me to collect.
Now saying it’s a ‘nightmare’ and might not be able to fix it at all?
They have a similar car in the showroom at the same price, so I proposed that they give me that one with some slight adjustment on the price for the 36 days of ‘wear and tear’ that I had out of my old car.
They said they would let me have it for an extra £3700, plus, of course, my old car.
Not at all happy about this.
Can’t have my old car back (can’t be fixed) but would have to find £3700 to replace the car after 36 days of use.
Ideas on a postcard please…….

I can't get mine to charge anywhere. I've had it two days now. Tried the three pin charger at home, all I could get was connected but not charging. Same at my neighbours house. Tried genie point tonight and got nowhere. Couldn't even get the connected message. Know the point was working as I had to wait for the tesla in front of me to finish.
Also the lead doesn't seem to lock into the car. Is that normal?
Thanks
I just bought a used MG ZS Excite ev, and it was fully charged but now it won't charge, I left it for an hour at the pod point at tesco, but although connected it didn't charge at all. It is now on a 3 point through my home window and says "connected but not charging" PLEASE HELP! I need to travel 70 miles tomorrow and only have 53 range! Eeek!

I just bought a used MG ZS Excite ev, and it was fully charged but now it won't charge, I left it for an hour at the pod point at tesco, but although connected it didn't charge at all. It is now on a 3 point through my home window and says "connected but not charging" PLEASE HELP! I need to travel 70 miles tomorrow and only have 53 range! Eeek!
Have you locked the doors?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom