• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG ZS EV Door handles locks faulty or is there a knack?

I have same issue with NSR on my 23 Plate ZS - doesn't work 9 out of 10 times, no friction on the handle either so something not right. Booking in with Garage...

Took mine to dealer last Friday as NSF door not opening about once a week. They have done an adjustment, but said if not fixed they would order a new lock. Now fails to open every other time it's tried. New lock on order.

I have a return date now and assuming it all goes as planned then that'll be 113 days with a courtesy car! Anyone beat that?
Well car didn't turn up 🤬...but today it has 🎉 so that was 114 days with a courtesy car!

Last edited:
The front passenger door on my 21 reg ZS Excite has just stopped working.

It’s was fine till I got it back from the dealer coding a new spare key, but I assume that’s just coincidence?

Is it something that’s covered by warranty in a car just over 2 years old?

It is worth stating that other manufacturers also have had problems. I had a VW Passat along with probably 20 others as works vehicle. I had two door locks fail and there were at least 10 others with the same problem.

My wife has just had a new ZS EV delivered from lease company 4 days ago, today was the first time she had passengers in it taking the kids to school but then found out when in a mad rush that both passenger front and rear door handles don't open the doors. It's like they both have child locks turned on as the handles move and aren't stiff or jammed but the doors just don't open. We've turned on and off the rear child lock but it made no difference. The doors work from the outside no problem and we also think the front passenger door has worked once or maybe twice but most times it won't and the rear never works. Just wonder if anyone has had the same issue and / or if there's a knack or if it's a fault and has to go back to a dealer to be checked over, which will be a right royal PITA..
Use a 10 spanner to undo 12v battery, leave for 20 mins and then reconnect battery. This should reset the system. I had same problem when I got mine.

Now in November and MG still hasn't resolved the issue with the front door not being openable from rhe inside! Mine is one of several in our fleet of identical company cars with the same issue.
This is absolutely the worst car I've had the misfortune to have, the only positive being the massive reduction in company car tax

Similar behaviour on MG5, but two things that work for us are drivers control button, to disengage door locks, and the (quick succession) double pull on passenger handle. I have to say when my wife attempts the double pull she never does it in quick succession hence it fails. Perhaps I'm not so 'gentle' yet works every time.

Now in November and MG still hasn't resolved the issue with the front door not being openable from rhe inside! Mine is one of several in our fleet of identical company cars with the same issue.
This is absolutely the worst car I've had the misfortune to have, the only positive being the massive reduction in company car tax
It's a simple fix that only takes less than one hour to complete, they just need to order then replace the complete locking assembly in the effected door.
A number of ZS EV facelift models have suffered with this problem.
On either one single door, or even as many as 2 - 3 doors on the same car !.
A relative of ours was unable to open the front passengers door from the inside, on his collection day !.
This was rectified in about 10 - 14 days.
Then about five weeks later, he then discovered that the rear passengers door would not open from the inside either.
The wait time on this part was about three weeks now, as demand had increased due to the increased demand.
Again, simple fix when the lock arrived.
The dealer replaced the lock while he waited.
Below, is the MG part number for the N/S/F ( front passengers side ) lock assembly.

N.S.F Lock 2023-01-09 at 22.26.28.png

live in New Zealand
I have a Dec 2022 ZS EV
MG in New Zealand have done a warranty recall for drivers door unable to be opened in some circumstances. My vehicle goes in next week.
I dont know if the recall is only for ZS EV or other models as well
By all accounts its a hardware issue, not a software issue.
I carry a couple of break glass tools in the vehicle at all times.. just to be sure

It's a simple fix that only takes less than one hour to complete, they just need to order then replace the complete locking assembly in the effected door.
A number of ZS EV facelift models have suffered with this problem.
On either one single door, or even as many as 2 - 3 doors on the same car !.
A relative of ours was unable to open the front passengers door from the inside, on his collection day !.
This was rectified in about 10 - 14 days.
Then about five weeks later, he then discovered that the rear passengers door would not open from the inside either.
The wait time on this part was about three weeks now, as demand had increased due to the increased demand.
Again, simple fix when the lock arrived.
The dealer replaced the lock while he waited.
Below, is the MG part number for the N/S/F ( front passengers side ) lock assembly.

View attachment 21830
MG have finally sorted the door. They had the car nearly a week as they had to wait for the replacement part. Originally they said I could have my car back until the part came in, I declined the offer and kept their courtesy car until mine was repaired.

MG have finally sorted the door. They had the car nearly a week as they had to wait for the replacement part. Originally they said I could have my car back until the part came in, I declined the offer and kept their courtesy car until mine was repaired.
Shocking that they still have this problem tbh. At least the parts seem to be available now which is something. I had a courtesy car for almost 4 months waiting for parts and when it was fixed it had a new problem which ironically was that one door would now open from the outside even when locked. Fortunately the parts shortage was cured and I got a replacement replacement very quickly. Imagine how cheap these cars would be if they could build them properly in the first place!

Our new 2023 model has been doing this also intermittently since we picked it up, we disabled the autolock but that didnt fix it, its just the front passenger door thats playing up. The double pull trick works sometimes at others the only solution is to have the driver open the door for the passenger from outside, or wind the window down and use the external handle to open the door.

Told it will be 6 weeks before they can even look at it, which is disturbing since i consider this to be a safety issue. If the car gets in an accident or even catches fire, and the passenger can exit the car thats dangerous.

To top it off 15 days after picking it up we stopped in the driveway to open the gates, and then the car refused to move with an awful grinding and shuddering coming from underneath when we tried to drive. Had to be towed back to the dealership.

Under Australian law the following applies

Can I get a refund or replacement?​

If your new car has a major failure, you can choose between a replacement, refund or repair.

A major failure is defined as any problem which:

• cannot be repaired or is too difficult to repair within a reasonable time
  • prevents you from using your car and cannot be repaired in a reasonable time (e.g. car won't start)
  • makes your car unsafe to drive (e.g. braking malfunction)
  • would have prevented a reasonable consumer from buying the car if they'd known the issue would occur

In addition, as of December 2020, if the product has two or more minor failures and you would not have bought the product if you knew the nature and extent of these failures, it can amount to a major failure. (Note: These failures don't need to relate to the same consumer guarantee.)

Had i know a brand new car would only last 15 days before being towed back to the dealership i would not have bought it, had i know the passenger door would lock shut preventing exit in an emergency and that it would be 6 weeks before it could be even looked at under warranty i would not have bought it.

We have told MG Australia we want a full refund and compensation for the costs of installing the charge hub and its removal.

Has anyone else had to ask for a refund ? and How does MG respond, i fear we will have to take them to court and what started out as a exciting new adventure into electric, has become a stressful nightmare. Im Hoping MG will just promptly pay up so we can move on.

Aside from the fact that there may be a mechanical fault in some instances, I found that on both the gen 1 and the gen 2 ZS EVs, that the dooor handles could stick or stick open when there was bad weather & a lot of rain. In any case, the preferred solution is Silicone spray:

Since I treated all the doors and the boot latch with this in both cars, the problem never returned, well not yet.

[ Edited moderator: silicon → silicone ]

Last edited by a moderator:
live in New Zealand
I have a Dec 2022 ZS EV
MG in New Zealand have done a warranty recall for drivers door unable to be opened in some circumstances. My vehicle goes in next week.
I dont know if the recall is only for ZS EV or other models as well
By all accounts its a hardware issue, not a software issue.
I carry a couple of break glass tools in the vehicle at all times.. just to be sure
I could really use any links or documents that relate to this recall, i am puting it to ANCAP australia that the same should happen here. Doors that dont open from the inside in an emergency such as an accident or fire are serious dangers imo. Any links etc would be hugely appreciated

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom