• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG ZS EV ECU data via the Torque Pro app

@JodyS21 I have been trying to figure out how to do exactly this and haven't yet been able to convince Torque to display ASCII values. I suspect that a "plugin" as opposed to Extended PIDs" may be required to make this work. Unfortunately the author of Torque has been MIA since circa 2016.
It's weird really that the author hasn't seemed to reply to any messages at all for years given he must still be making money from people buying the app.

I've been playing with IOS Car Scanner ELM OBD2..... @Cocijo you can try this as you're ios.

Preamble:
Install app.
Choose a car (ZS EV) & connect to obd2 device etc.
[Settings cog] Sensors. Choose Custom in the dropdown (most of values there aren't any good I think).
[+] Add a new PID sensor, fill in the details as appropriate (see all my screenshots).
Hit Test to check it works.
<Back to main screen>
[Live data] Can only get it to show 2 sensor values at a time on free version.
[All sensors] though will show some of the press-up values, but more importantly after them it shows all the custom ones.

I cannot get the EXPORT button to work so can't generate a csv etc unfortunately, with means I don't know the format to create one for importing :(
I've been manually adding these values so far...
(there's no ascii convertor available here either to convert the hex version data like torque pro)

IMG_4316.PNG
IMG_4322.PNG

IMG_4320.PNG
IMG_4321.PNG

I’ve downloaded the app. Can you recommend obd2 connector - bluetooth?

I’ve downloaded the app. Can you recommend obd2 connector - bluetooth?
I got one that was recommended from ebay, but I've just looked and it's sold out/not available anymore.
If you go back in the forum posts there's some others recommended I think.
I just got a bluetooth one, I do wish I'd got a wifi & bluetooth version - as it'd probably work further away - from my sofa then!

@JodyS21 my understanding is that unless you have a PID on a gauge then it's not reading it. I also agree with you that both should be available and that's what I've done, however I'm not reading the PID a second time to run in though ABS, but rather using a "Virtual PID" to re-process the existing data. As you can see, no PID is being read in the third column of the second row in the below example:

"MG Vehicle Speed Actual","Speed","0x22ba00","(INT16(A:B)- 20000)/100",-200,200,"km/h","7E3","","",1
"MG Vehicle Speed","Speed",,"ABS(VAL{MG Vehicle Speed Actual})",0,200,"km/h",,"","",1
I can't get the Speed PID 22ba00 to work, get a response of 7F2231, but equation cannot make sense of it. It might be because we use MPH (miles per hour instead of Kmph) which I would have thought would have been a slightly different equation only to convert it. But it's possible we need a different PID.

I can use the mobile (I.e. Val{Speed (GPS)} ) but it seems rather irratic.
Any ideas?

I can't get the Speed PID 22ba00 to work, get a response of 7F2231, but equation cannot make sense of it. It might be because we use MPH (miles per hour instead of Kmph) which I would have thought would have been a slightly different equation only to convert it. But it's possible we need a different PID.

I can use the mobile (I.e. Val{Speed (GPS)} ) but it seems rather irratic.
Any ideas?
HEX: 7F22
Decimal: 32546
-20000 = 2546
/100 = 25.46 kmph

What is the "7E3" on the line?

I got the impression that you tell torque pro what format the data is i.e. "km/h", then in the app you can choose the format you want the data to be shown in i.e. mph, it then does the necessary conversion.

I can't test it out though, not got the app still!

I was stai
HEX: 7F22
Decimal: 32546
-20000 = 2546
/100 = 25.46 kmph

What is the "7E3" on the line?

I got the impression that you tell torque pro what format the data is i.e. "km/h", then in the app you can choose the format you want the data to be shown in i.e. mph, it then does the necessary conversion.

I can't test it out though, not got the app still!
I was stationary at the time.
7E3 is the header I think it mean 7 x10^3 = 7000
Torque displays whatever units you enter, it doesn't calculate it convert it separately. It relies on the original calculation.

I was stationary at the time.
7E3 is the header I think it mean 7 x10^3 = 7000
Torque displays whatever units you enter, it doesn't calculate it convert it separately. It relies on the original calculation.
My assumption of 7E3 =7000 was wrong.
I removed the 7000 previously inputed and replaced with 7E3 and it works.

My assumption of 7E3 =7000 was wrong.
I removed the 7000 previously inputed and replaced with 7E3 and it works.
Yeah sorry I should've realised actually, 7E3 is indeed the header.
So you're getting a valid "MG Vehicle Speed Actual" 2 byte hex reply now?

@JodyS21 I have been trying to figure out how to do exactly this and haven't yet been able to convince Torque to display ASCII values. I suspect that a "plugin" as opposed to Extended PIDs" may be required to make this work. Unfortunately the author of Torque has been MIA since circa 2016.
Use this equation to display ASCii. I use it at 0x22f194 to capture the BMS SW ver. However, it can only display 1 element at a time, "H" in this example, just replace the "h" at the start and end with "A" etc to get the rest. I just cant figure out how to combine them all into one display.

LOOKUP(h:h:65='A':66='B':67='C':68='D':69='E':70='F':71='G':72='H':73='I':74='J':75='K':76='L':77='M':78='N':79='O':80='P':81='Q':82='R':83='S':84='T':85='U':86='V':87='W':88='X':89='Y':90='Z':48~57=h-48)

Use this equation to display ASCii. I use it at 0x22f194 to capture the BMS SW ver. However, it can only display 1 element at a time, "H" in this example, just replace the "h" at the start and end with "A" etc to get the rest. I just cant figure out how to combine them all into one display.

LOOKUP(h:h:65='A':66='B':67='C':68='D':69='E':70='F':71='G':72='H':73='I':74='J':75='K':76='L':77='M':78='N':79='O':80='P':81='Q':82='R':83='S':84='T':85='U':86='V':87='W':88='X':89='Y':90='Z':48~57=h-48)
I was thinking along this lines.
If you can't get it all into one "value", I wonder if you could get the data in one entry, then use virtual PIDS to grab each byte from that and do a lookup.

Torque Pro is triggering the car alarm (when it is locked) which is problematic.
Any solutions?
Yeah, I've just had this. For me it happens when the OBD adapter is left plugged in with the Bluetooth still enabled.
The car was locked on my driveway and I was in my house just looking at some Torque Pro settings on my phone when the car alarm went off. I think Torque Pro on my phone connected to the OBD adapters Bluetooth in the car outside (which was still locked). This happened twice within about 5 mins of each other, but since I disabled the OBD adapters Bluetooth (switch on the adapter) then its been ok.
Just means I have to remember to enable and disable the adapter Bluetooth every time.

Have been trying out the Extended PID's in the the CSV file I downloaded from GitHub (Nix) and have set up my own Dashboard in Torquepro:

TP Dashboard.jpg

From the list of PID's I saw that there wasn't one for Battery Temperature, so took a chance and created a new one using the values listed by OVMS in their spreadsheet (22b056). I then used the same equation as the Battery Coolant (A * 0.5) -40.0 and the value in the above screenshot (13 C) corresponds with the value I am seeing in the Thai App.

I also added the Fan Speed, it only show a max of 3 steps. 1 corresponds to 2 steps when the fan ribbon is visible in the infotainment screen. As for HVAC temp not sure what this value is. In the OVMS list there is one called "FL Face Outlet Temp 22e013) will give that a try tomorrow.

The other issue I have is Charge kW which is displaying 3276.7 regardless of whether the car is being charged or not. I am using 22b402 which is in the OVMS spreadsheet, this shows 3276.7 all the time. Howvere, there is also one with 22b712 which is included in the NIX spreadsheet and this show no data. The equation used in both is INT16(A:B)/10. I have no idea what the logic is when adding an equation, so any help on this would be very much appreciated. If anybody can help with the correct equation would be much appreciated.

Seems I may have found the PID that reports Outside Temp and mirrors what we see in the car. Previously I had been using 22e01B "Ambient Temperature" but this returned no values. I have checked what the infotainments screen is displaying a number of times and I am seeing the same value in the widget added in Torque.

Outside Temp PID.JPG

Not sure if the Formula is correct and will show negative temperature time will tell :)

Ambient Temp.JPG

Seems I may have found the PID that reports Outside Temp and mirrors what we see in the car. Previously I had been using 22e01B "Ambient Temperature" but this returned no values. I have checked what the infotainments screen is displaying a number of times and I am seeing the same value in the widget added in Torque.

View attachment 3303

Not sure if the Formula is correct and will show negative temperature time will tell :)

View attachment 3304
Yes, that's the correct PID for Ambient (Outside) air temp that I use as well, and it will show negative values too.

If you want to see the correct Fan speed for the HVAC (I don't know why this is useful) then use:
MG_HVAC Fan, 22e00f, equation LOOKUP(B:B:249='1':43='2':100='3':207='4':129='5':182='6'), header 750. When creating new PIDs like this one then you MUST include a Max and Min value for it to be accepted and displayed by Torque Pro.

Yes, that's the correct PID for Ambient (Outside) air temp that I use as well, and it will show negative values too.

If you want to see the correct Fan speed for the HVAC (I don't know why this is useful) then use:
MG_HVAC Fan, 22e00f, equation LOOKUP(B:B:249='1':43='2':100='3':207='4':129='5':182='6'), header 750. When creating new PIDs like this one then you MUST include a Max and Min value for it to be accepted and displayed by Torque Pro.
Thanks for the fan equation, with TP displayed while I am driving I can always see the fan speed. If you change it the infotainment screen is so laggy that it can take a few seconds to display the fan speed ribbon after you rotate the fan control. With the phone I am using for TP in my line of sight, I don't need to look at the infotainment screen and wait for it to refresh.

Thanks for the fan equation, with TP displayed while I am driving I can always see the fan speed. If you change it the infotainment screen is so laggy that it can take a few seconds to display the fan speed ribbon after you rotate the fan control. With the phone I am using for TP in my line of sight, I don't need to look at the infotainment screen and wait for it to refresh.
ok, that's true. In the same light, I've also got PIDs for Vent position (Screen/Vents/Floor etc), HVAC On/Off, Air Con On/Off. Rear Demist On/Off, Screen rapid demist On/Off, Cabin recirculation Fresh Air/Recirc. Im looking for a PID for temp selection as well but not found it just yet.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom