MG ZS EV Facelift - Have you cancelled?

More than one week on, and still waiting for my refund, although I didn’t really expect it to be quick, given the the dealer’s track record to date.

Got the usual run-around when trying to speak to the ‘accounts’ department, so tomorrow is when I start making a nuisance of myself, phoning every 30 minutes on the hour and half hour, until such time as I get some sort of result…

More than one week on, and still waiting for my refund, although I didn’t really expect it to be quick, given the the dealer’s track record to date.

Got the usual run-around when trying to speak to the ‘accounts’ department, so tomorrow is when I start making a nuisance of myself, phoning every 30 minutes on the hour and half hour, until such time as I get some sort of result…
They are quick enough to take it, sadly not as fast to return it !.

Don't waste your time with them, call your bank and get a chargeback or a section 75 if it's over £100.

Here's a thing.

Was talking to a friend yesterday, who ordered a SR Trophy.

He is thinking of cancelling his order for two reasons.
1) He has no idea when he will receive the car.
2) Morally, he is not happy with the way China are not denouncing Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

I am not sure about China's involvement, if any, in the war in Ukraine.

Only thing I would say is that, the vast majority of consumer goods now come from Asia, so are we to cancel all of our purchases from that area?

Any thoughts.

Please discuss.

Here's a thing.

Was talking to a friend yesterday, who ordered a SR Trophy.

He is thinking of cancelling his order for two reasons.
1) He has no idea when he will receive the car.
2) Morally, he is not happy with the way China are not denouncing Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

I am not sure about China's involvement, if any, in the war in Ukraine.

Only thing I would say is that, the vast majority of consumer goods now come from Asia, so are we to cancel all of our purchases from that area?

Any thoughts.

Please discuss.
I had to fight with my moral conscience on buying a car from China. I’ve intentionally bought a number of UK built cars (Astra, Auris, Civic) and each has been well built and reliable. Choosing an EV made this more difficult.
For good or worse, a lot of our consumer goods are made in China and it’s difficult (but not impossible) to find locally made alternatives. My China conundrum is more about shipping across the world and different working standards.

I’ve sworn to never buy a VW product (despite being tempted by the Cupra born) after how the company behaved in dieselgate.

I too had this dilemma. There is no effective way of boycotting China. If you do not buy goods direct from China, anything else you buy from anywhere in the world will either have been made in China or have components made there. They have very cleverly infiltrated all aspects global manufacturing and made themselves indispensible.

I have some reservations about the ownership of the company. Not a “made in China” bias/quality thing, I think it’s pretty good quality, I really like the car. It’s also true that so much is made in China that it seems a little nonsensical to reject product A whilst still buying product B. It is also tricky as has been pointed out, wherever the final product is made components come from many places. However, that doesn’t make it all alright either. SAIC is directly owned by the Chinese government. It’s not a Chinese car it’s a Chinese government car, its Gazprom on wheels. The Chinese government is backing Putin, squashing Hongkong’s local democracy, the Uyghur situation, and Tibet, and… The world seems to be dividing ever more starkly into Democracy vs Autocracy and I am buying my car from the wrong side of that line, in fact my money is going direct to the Autocrat. I am not very comfortable with that. Am I going to cancel, I don’t know, probably not. If a viable alternative appears, maybe. The delays and lack of communication are on one side of the scales, the car itself on the other, but behind it all is a vague sense of unease that I am doing the wrong thing.

I had to fight with my moral conscience on buying a car from China. I’ve intentionally bought a number of UK built cars (Astra, Auris, Civic) and each has been well built and reliable. Choosing an EV made this more difficult.
For good or worse, a lot of our consumer goods are made in China and it’s difficult (but not impossible) to find locally made alternatives. My China conundrum is more about shipping across the world and different working standards.

I’ve sworn to never buy a VW product (despite being tempted by the Cupra born) after how the company behaved in dieselgate.
As you say many other items are manufactured in China - iPhone, Polestars, Teslas - it goes on. SIAC apparently manufactured 4 million cars in 2020 some for themselves some for Ford, some for GM and some for VW.
As for VW - they were far from alone doing that dieselgate thingy. They do tend to make more solid and reliable products (software might be an exception but they are getting better and over-the-air updates are apparently good. However - their waiting time is no better - 47 weeks one quote for an e-Up!

As you say many other items are manufactured in China - iPhone, Polestars, Teslas - it goes on. SIAC apparently manufactured 4 million cars in 2020 some for themselves some for Ford, some for GM and some for VW.
As for VW - they were far from alone doing that dieselgate thingy. They do tend to make more solid and reliable products (software might be an exception but they are getting better and over-the-air updates are apparently good. However - their waiting time is no better - 47 weeks one quote for an e-Up!
Yep
My colleague ordered an Audi Q4 Etron in Sep21. Now been told Mar-23.
18m wait for a 36m lease!

Taking moral dilemmas aside and I am not even going to give my opinion on buying products from china and whether we should or shouldn't for whatever reason.

But the car market at the moment is in a shambles... if you are already in a waiting line for your MG ZS EV and have now cancelled what other EV are you going to spend more money on purchasing and joining an ever longer queue "at the back" because lets face it, pound for pound and mile for mile, there is no EV out there currently that is close to the value for money that you get with the ZS EV, nothing at this price point has the range, and those which do have the range either lack equipment or are 10k+ more than the ZS.

As much as I would love to have my ZS EV already I know that if I cancel I am not going to get value for money and it is not going to mean I am in a car sooner than if I just wait it out so I am genuinely intrigued as to what people are opting to swap for that they think will get here quicker and for the same price/range/equipment because I am at this crossroads but see no answer other than to wait in this line that I am already in that is moving, albeit slowly.

I have no regrets about cancelling, and I was in a good position.

I had negotiated a discount on the Trophy Connect along with free mats and charge cable, and being an early November order, got the £2.5k grant as well.

I am genuinely intrigued as to what people are opting to swap for that they think will get here quicker

I personally am not getting something else instead, but merely keeping what I already have.

The supply issues might not be MG’s fault directly, but the way that they and their dealers have handled it has eroded whatever tiny amount of confidence that I used to have in the brand.

Don't waste your time with them, call your bank and get a chargeback or a section 75 if it's over £100.

I used a debit card, so a section 75 would not have been possible, and I feel that a chargeback could have all too easily been disputed if the dealer had decided to play hard ball.

However, I m happy to report that as of this afternoon, the £500 deposit is back in my account.

It took three ‘chasing’ calls, but in the end, a satisfactory outcome.

Yes we have. We gave it a lot of thought over the last week or so and decided to hold on to our pug for a while longer.

Contacted the dealer by email on Saturday and waiting for a reply. If not heard by close of play Wednesday I will chivvy them up.

Yes we have. We gave it a lot of thought over the last week or so and decided to hold on to our pug for a while longer.

Contacted the dealer by email on Saturday and waiting for a reply. If not heard by close of play Wednesday I will chivvy them up.

A sad state of affairs really, that things are such that cancelling is preferable, but not having to worry about if and when the MG might turn up is somewhat calming.

I shall continue to visit this site however, a bit like a TV game show where having already taken the money, you have to play on to see what the outcome might have been had seen it out to the end.

A sad state of affairs really, that things are such that cancelling is preferable, but not having to worry about if and when the MG might turn up is somewhat calming.

I shall continue to visit this site however, a bit like a TV game show where having already taken the money, you have to play on to see what the outcome might have been had seen it out to the end.
I'm two weeks into my New Zoe ZE50 GT line, but still checking in. Glad I cancelled to be honest. The deal I got on the Zoe was too good to pass up really and as tested last week does a realistic 200miles at motorway speeds. Only go it for 2 years so we will see what state of play is then. Might need to order a year before end of contract!

I'm two weeks into my New Zoe ZE50 GT line, but still checking in. Glad I cancelled to be honest. The deal I got on the Zoe was too good to pass up really and as tested last week does a realistic 200miles at motorway speeds. Only go it for 2 years so we will see what state of play is then. Might need to order a year before end of contract!
You didnt get put off by the 0 star ncap crash test then?

You didnt get put off by the 0 star ncap crash test then?
No, I firmly beleive the car is fundamentally safe. 5star in 2013. Just ncap goalposts changed. I understand the side airbag issue but it has all the passive safety equipment my Leaf had.
Lack of ncap rating at all has not put off those buying the MG5.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom