MG ZS EV Incline Start

Andrew M

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi All
New to the forum so thank you in advance for any help. Just purchased a new MGZS EV Essence. So far I love the car, but have a question about starting to drive on an incline. Our driveway has a reasonable incline to the garage but nothing out of the ordinary. I was trying to move forward while on the incline of the driveway but it wouldn’t move. Hand brake released…tried hill assist but it would not move. If I went down to the bottom and drove up with a run up it was ok…any ideas
Thanks Andrew

Hi All
New to the forum so thank you in advance for any help. Just purchased a new MGZS EV Essence. So far I love the car, but have a question about starting to drive on an incline. Our driveway has a reasonable incline to the garage but nothing out of the ordinary. I was trying to move forward while on the incline of the driveway but it wouldn’t move. Hand brake released…tried hill assist but it would not move. If I went down to the bottom and drove up with a run up it was ok…any ideas
Thanks Andrew
Give it more "gas"? They don't like "rolling back" so in general won't move fwd or back until you've given the gas pedal enough movement to overcome gravity. Put in D (or R) & just increase pressure on gas pedal until it starts to move 👍🏻

Were you expecting it to move without accelerator input same as it would on the level?

Hill start assist is just to stop it rolling back, not to assist power for moving off.
"Handbrake released" how ? (maybe you put it on ?).

Using the auto-hold function can also help.

Hill start assist is just to stop it rolling back, not to assist power for moving off.
"Handbrake released" how ? (maybe you put it on ?).
On mine in "normal" i don't think it will roll back/forward? Or have I just not left it long enough to do it? 😁

Good spot re handbrake....

Gotta wait for the op I spose. . . . .

Last edited:
On mine in "normal" i don't think it will roll back/forward? Or have I just not left it long enough to do it? 😁
If you press the brake pedal firmly then let go (in D or R), it will automatically apply hill start assist and hold for two seconds. If it holds for longer than that I suspect you've got Auto hold on.

If you press the brake pedal firmly then let go (in D or R), it will automatically apply hill start assist and hold for two seconds. If it holds for longer than that I suspect you've got Auto hold on.
👍🏻I might have a play if I'm bored enough 😁
Not been an issue for me this far mind.

Hi all thanks for the replies much appreciated. Accelerator pedal is flat to the floor and it doesn’t move. It’s almost like motors reach a certain amperage and an “overload” kicks in. No warnings come up on the dash

Hi all thanks for the replies much appreciated. Accelerator pedal is flat to the floor and it doesn’t move. It’s almost like motors reach a certain amperage and an “overload” kicks in. No warnings come up on the dash
Is it in D or R?

How steep is this "incline"?

That is pretty steep but it should still go.
Perhaps there is a fault.

Might sound daft, but do you have your seatbelt on? I have to open a gate on an incline in one work location and when I try to start it without my seat belt on the car acts like it wants to go forward but is being held back by the brake because I don't have my belt on (for the short journey from the gate to the parking space)

That’s a good point - but doesn’t the car still strain against the handbrake trying to move even without seat belt? The OP is just getting a dead accelerator pedal.

Might sound daft, but do you have your seatbelt on? I have to open a gate on an incline in one work location and when I try to start it without my seat belt on the car acts like it wants to go forward but is being held back by the brake because I don't have my belt on (for the short journey from the gate to the parking space)
I think it's the door ajar that stops it moving on mine. I drive 1/2 mile without seatbelt on every day, few bongs but it doesn't "stop" me..

Brake released? How?
Just put it in D or R & press gas....leave brakes to do their thing....
The only scenario I can see (and I may be wrong), is that the OP is pulling the handbrake switch up thinking that releases it, when in fact that puts it on.
The door ajar and seatbelt not on only come into effect when using Auto hold AFAIK.

The only scenario I can see (and I may be wrong), is that the OP is pulling the handbrake switch up thinking that releases it, when in fact that puts it on.
The door ajar and seatbelt not on only come into effect when using Auto hold AFAIK.
I tried this just on mk1 -

no safety belt on,
footbrake,
into R,
pull up on (P) switch (so handbrake on motors whir),
off footbrake,
gas,
car tries to go but held by parking brake & message on screen to put seatbelt on!

Seatbelt on,
press gas,
handbrake releases itself (whirry whirry) &
off we go backwards.

I was having trouble reversing up a steep drive. Car would jump out if R into P as soon as I took foot off brake to press accelerator. Problem solved as soon as I put my seat belt on

Yes in D brake released. Incline is 20 degrees
20° is nearly 40%. What car can do hill start at 40%?

My previous physics calculation was wrong. I think ZS won't start at 40% or 2:5 or 20° with full load.

My drive is 12%, which need about 30% power to get up.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom