MG ZS EV Limit charging by % on home charger

The SE has to be charged to 100%
No it doesn't! And I think you mean SR

Do what you are comfortable with the battery has a 7 year warranty.
This.

The fact the LFP car doesn't have a charging limit has nothing to do with lifespan.

It's a clutch by MG so you are more likely to end up going to 100% so the GOM makes better guess.

I go to 100% maybe every few weeks on my SR. Lots of other ways NOT to go to 100%..e.g. from wall box schedule, to just simply unplugging it...

Last edited:
Last weeks pod cast covered many different subjects, but the charging process / balancing procedures for both types of batteries came under discussion.
Anybody who is interested in this subject may find it interesting 🤔.
It about one hour long, but as always some useful information given out by Miles and the team.

That is 100% correct ✅.
Of course owners of the standard range CAN stop the charge at any point manually if they wish.
But as @jusher has correctly said, you can’t set the charge level percentage like you can on the long range version.
So, unless you manually stop the charge, it will want to 100% SOC every time.
As LFP batteries are happiest when charged to 100% they are also conducting a balance cycle after the battery has reached 100%.
LFP batteries suffer less from battery degradation when consistently charged to 100% and are therefore more suitable for models with a shorter range, as these are likely to be charged closer to 100% and are lighter and cheaper to produce.
The fear here is I guess, if standard range owners continue to charge to 70 - 80% manually, then the battery never gets to perform the balance cycle and the battery / range could suffer as the cells become unbalanced.
Not providing the ability to set the SOC level below 100% in the standard range is the clue here.
The long range is almost the opposite in a strange way, because charging to 100% SOC is entirely possible and expected for longer trips, but charging to 80% SOC for daily use is the more recommended usage pattern.
This is why MG give you the option to set the charge level on the LR unlike the standard range model.
I know a lot of standard range owners were disappointed when they discovered they could not set the SOC levels from the App etc.
Until they discovered the reason that this had been done, was best suited to the LFP chemistry type of their cars.

Thanks for this, exaclty what I was looking for, but - do you have a link or any emirpical evidence for this 'MG recommendation' for the short range ZS EV? I'm not challenging you & I appreciate your posts, but I cannot see this in the manual nor in the MG site itself.

Reason being: I am considering upgrading from the Mk1 ZS EV to the new facelift Mk2 and one of the main reasons being the battery chemistry. Pretty much always charging on a home 7Kw Wallbox here, little highway driving or public charging (so we can leave that out of the equation for now). Mostly around town use for me.

In my Mk1 and the MK2 facelift Long Range ZS EV, both use NMC battery chemistry and require the regular 80% charging regime, with 100% and lengthy battery balancing every couple of months or so. The software charging screen in the LR ZS EV indicates exactly this.

In the case of the short range MK2 facelift however, the LFP battery 'should' be able to be charged regularly to 100% at home (just like the recommendations for other LFP batteries in (say) the Atto 3 or the Tesla MY RWD.

And if indeed this is as you claim '100% OK' (makes sense), then what is the required 'battery balancing' practice' for LFP? Some claim this is very short & transparent, others make it sound just like the MK1 - in my case this takes exaclty 105 mins, every time I change to 100%. Tired of that, for sure.

Again, one of my main reasons for upgrading" theoretically, 100% charge every time or as I wish, and with liittle to no battery balancing concerns.

Appeciated in advance for any advice.

Last weeks pod cast covered many different subjects, but the charging process / balancing procedures for both types of batteries came under discussion.
Anybody who is interested in this subject may find it interesting 🤔.
It about one hour long, but as always some useful information given out by Miles and the team.

Thanks for this, but it is difficult to navigate because there are no bookmarks.

In additon, the question "Can the MG ZS EV SR be charged to 100% regularly without battery degregation issues?" has been raised several times but is as yet unanswered.

Thanks for this, exaclty what I was looking for, but - do you have a link or any emirpical evidence for this 'MG recommendation' for the short range ZS EV? I'm not challenging you & I appreciate your posts, but I cannot see this in the manual nor in the MG site itself.

Reason being: I am considering upgrading from the Mk1 ZS EV to the new facelift Mk2 and one of the main reasons being the battery chemistry. Pretty much always charging on a home 7Kw Wallbox here, little highway driving or public charging (so we can leave that out of the equation for now). Mostly around town use for me.

In my Mk1 and the MK2 facelift Long Range ZS EV, both use NMC battery chemistry and require the regular 80% charging regime, with 100% and lengthy battery balancing every couple of months or so. The software charging screen in the LR ZS EV indicates exactly this.

In the case of the short range MK2 facelift however, the LFP battery 'should' be able to be charged regularly to 100% at home (just like the recommendations for other LFP batteries in (say) the Atto 3 or the Tesla MY RWD.

And if indeed this is as you claim '100% OK' (makes sense), then what is the required 'battery balancing' practice' for LFP? Some claim this is very short & transparent, others make it sound just like the MK1 - in my case this takes exaclty 105 mins, every time I change to 100%. Tired of that, for sure.

Again, one of my main reasons for upgrading" theoretically, 100% charge every time or as I wish, and with liittle to no battery balancing concerns.

Appeciated in advance for any advice.

I think you are over thinking it.

I have the SR and plug it in three times a week and have the scheduled charging on. Sometimes it charges to 100%, sometimes it doesn't in that overnight window.

I don't really think about and everything is fine.

It's a non issue.

The flaky software on the other hand...

I think you are over thinking it.

I have the SR and plug it in three times a week and have the scheduled charging on. Sometimes it charges to 100%, sometimes it doesn't in that overnight window.

I don't really think about and everything is fine.

It's a non issue.

The flaky software on the other hand...
Not at all & like many others here. LFP would the current Go-to for performance, safety reliability etc - at least until we see CATL’s sodium batteries in the marketplace.

both BYD (brilliant Blade LFPs) & Tesla models with LFPs are crystal clear about all that. The MG approach seems decide wobbly & vague at best. EVs cost a lot & so I would prefer to be careful & more informed about the next purchase.

Not at all & like many others here. LFP would the current Go-to for performance, safety reliability etc - at least until we see CATL’s sodium batteries in the marketplace.

both BYD (brilliant Blade LFPs) & Tesla models with LFPs are crystal clear about all that. The MG approach seems decide wobbly & vague at best. EVs cost a lot & so I would prefer to be careful & more informed about the next purchase.
I thought that only the standard range was available in Australia, have they now released the long range too?
I have the long range (zs) and am fine with it, generally charging at home to circa 80% and 100% if going on long journeys.
I did contemplate the SR but decided that the flexibility of the LR suited me more.
The LFP does have the advantage of increased charging cycles not affecting the battery degridation as much as the the NMC.
One question I would like answered is that in the NMC battery, charging on rapid chargers slows down (for various reasons) and can cause damage to the battery at 80%, does the same happen with LFP batteries? e.g. is recommendation charging to 80% for LFP batteries on rapid chargers, or do they continue to charge at high rate until 100% ?..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom