MG ZS EV NOT CHARGING

debbien

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Thank you everyone I’ve called out breakdown as dealers couldn’t help today, if anything of interest comes out of this I’ll post. Owned the EV for 8 months without any charging problems but now when I try to charge at home or elsewhere on the charging port the blue light doesn’t turn to green and all lights eventually turn off. On dash it’s showing it try’s to connect but can’t. When I connect the charge plug to the car and the supply the blue light comes on as usual and it makes the little noise but then nothing. Any help would be appreciated. I’ve done a factory reset, made no difference. Thanks

Last edited:
Do you lock the car after plugging in?
Is the timer somehow been turned on in the car?
Is the timer somehow been turned on in the charger?

Do you lock the car after plugging in?
Is the timer somehow been turned on in the car?
Is the timer somehow been turned on in the charger?
Yes I’ve followed the procedure in the manual and checked the timer. I’ve been charging without a problem for 8 months. Thanks

Yes tried the granny charger, tried different cables and charging facilities. Now trying to get through to dealer which is a nightmare.

Academic if it won't on non-rapids, grannies, & its going in to the dealer?

I wouldn't be gambling my last 20 miles of range finding a rapid to test your theory! 😬
I've just been through this scenario with my Smurf (2016 Kia Soul EV). Too little range to risk getting to a DC (rapid) charger - but DC did work when we popped in on the way to the garage. Upshot was a faulty On Board Charger which handles AC (granny & fast) charging. It has been replaced under warranty.
Strange it's happened after only 8 months, #debbien 😢

I've just been through this scenario with my Smurf (2016 Kia Soul EV). Too little range to risk getting to a DC (rapid) charger - but DC did work when we popped in on the way to the garage. Upshot was a faulty On Board Charger which handles AC (granny & fast) charging. It has been replaced under warranty.
@debbien this is why I suggested trying to pull a charge from a rapid unit, had one been close enough or on route to the dealer.
Just a another step in the process of elimination really.
If the car HAD accepted a charge from a D/C unit, then this could well start to point the finger at the internal charger / inverter unit, as in your case.
D/C energy not requiring converting by the inverter.

Academic if it won't on non-rapids, grannies, & its going in to the dealer?

I wouldn't be gambling my last 20 miles of range finding a rapid to test your theory! 😬
Thank you. Spoke to dealer don’t have a curtesy car for 1 month and nobody to look at it today anyway. Dealer (that we bought from from new last year) suggests I get it recovered in by our breakdown people who will supply a cutesy car, not exactly what I call service.
Had the AA out but they couldn’t find a solution, earliest slot with dealer 2nd March, what am I supposed to do until then. Anyone thinking of buying an MG from Waylands please don’t, they don’t have the capacity to service/repair the amount of vehicles they sell.

That's terrible service. I used them (Cumnor Hill) for annual service and they are a very 2-bit organisation. There is another dealer near Banbury but I don't know if they are better.

Thanks, we are now using Waylands Newbury branch who can get us in on 20th February and have spoken to AA on our behalf about getting a hire car, as ours wasn’t recovered in to dealers as it had some charge AA refused us a hire car (would only have been for 3 days anyway). So all round better service from Newbury rather than Oxford who have 1 technician for MG’s.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom