MG ZS EV OBD software for airbag reset etc

thefirstzs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.. I'm looking to find out what software there is available to carry out advanced functions on the MG ZS EV such as airbag reset etc. I have bought a crash damaged MG ZS EV and it will not drive as it has the "Danger evacuate vehicle safely" message on screen, and the vehicle will not go into the "ready" state , so it won't drive. The HV system was not touched by the accident damage, however the airbags did go off.

As the vehicle cannot move, I can't get it to the main dealer to plug in, and having spoken to my local dealer, they wouldn't know what to do with it even if I did take it to them by the sounds of it!!

I'm very familiar with Vagcom VCDS on the VWs and was hoping there would be something similar for SAIC / MG, but after much googling and researching, all I could find was GRADE-X which appears to only support the LDV van side of SAIC motors...

Any pointers would be appreciated

Last edited:
Hello, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.. I'm looking to find out what software there is available to carry out advanced functions on the MG ZS EV such as airbag reset etc. I have bought a crash damaged MG ZS EV and it will not drive as it has the "Danger evacuate vehicle safely" message on screen, and the vehicle will not go into the "ready" state , so it won't drive. The HV system was not touched by the accident damage, however the airbags did go off.

As the vehicle cannot move, I can't get it to the main dealer to plug in, and having spoken to my local dealer, they wouldn't know what to do with it even if I did take it to them by the sounds of it!!

I'm very familiar with Vagcom VCDS on the VWs and was hoping there would be something similar for SAIC / MG, but after much googling and researching, all I could find was GRADE-X which appears to only support the LDV van side of SAIC motors...

Any pointers would be appreciated
Hi The crash sensors,airbags,seatbelt tensioners and airbag ecu will need replaced before it will drive.It might drive by replacing the airbag ecu first.The airbag light will still be on but the car will drive.

Last edited:
Hi Arthur, thanks for the reply! So you don't need to "code" the new ecu's, pretensioners etc to the car like you do with VW group cars?

Hi Arthur, thanks for the reply! So you don't need to "code" the new ecu's, pretensioners etc to the car like you do with VW group cars?
Hi My car had the same message on the dashboard and would not run or charge until i replaced the airbag ecu.I had already replaced the crash sensors airbags and seatbelts.My airbag light is still on.I think replacing the airbag ecu might get it running.It cost £110 from mg as nobody could remove the crash data from the old one.

Hi The crash sensors,airbags,seatbelt tensioners and airbag ecu will need replaced before it will drive.It might drive by replacing the airbag ecu first.The airbag light will still be on but the car will drive.

Hi My car had the same message on the dashboard and would not run or charge until i replaced the airbag ecu.I had already replaced the crash sensors airbags and seatbelts.My airbag light is still on.I think replacing the airbag ecu might get it running.It cost £110 from mg as nobody could remove the crash data from the old one.
Excellent, thanks. This airbag ECU is under the centre console yes? I take it there are no secret clips/screws and it's pretty straight forward to remove the centre console?

Also I found this safety sheet that others may find helpful

Attachments

• original.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 509
Hi The airbag ecu is at the front of the centre consul drivers side. Unfortunately i found it a pig of a job to remove.I ended up removing the lower section of the dashboard.The main dashboard was a doddle in comparison.

Hi The airbag ecu is at the front of the centre consul drivers side. Unfortunately i found it a pig of a job to remove.I ended up removing the lower section of the dashboard.The main dashboard was a doddle in comparison.
Thanks, yes I agree.. pig of a job! just got it out, and was a total pain. Luckily had to remove the whole dash anyway, but finding out all the hidden bolts and working out which are "pull hard" clips and which are hidden bolts is always fun..

Tip for anyone doing this in the future.. As soon as you remove the ABS ECU, if the car previously would not let you drive it.. it will once you remove the ABS ECU!!

I removed the SRS control module (and can confirm it's a pig of a job). Can now drives.

Interested in feedback about the impact sensors. Does anyone know whether they are 'use once' or re-usable. They only have two connection wires and are open circuit so I'm not sure how the work.

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to thank the pioneers that have found a fix to the crashed MG not driving.
I bought a Stat right off MG4 a week ago First post here Anyone know where I can get a workshop manual for an Excite 64 and after recharging the 12v battery, all the symptoms mentioned here occurred.

If the car runs again with the ABS ECU removed, will it also run without the airbag ECU?
As the plan involves moving all the EV gear to a '74 VW Kombi, airbags and ABS will be foreign language to '74 model vehicle. I certainly don't want to add airbags and would prefer not to have to deal with the ABS system ....

T1 Terry

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom