MG ZS EV Owner shame on you

If someones car is plugged in and finished charging and they aren't back, I thought you were allowed to remove it from their car and start your own charge.

Can you unplug a car without a key fob to unlock the plug? Unsure about Rapid Chargers, but at home I have to unlock the car and unplug within several seconds, otherwise the plug/connection is locked in...

Was EVd out of multiple rapid chargers a few weeks ago. Pretty sure the cars belonged to a few locals who lived across from the chargers, but at half 10 at night, and all bar one vehicle charged, there wasn't anyone nearby coming to get the cars off charge.

I've heard/read others saying they've unplugged from other cars that had finished charging on rapid ccs, so am presuming once the charger stops charging the car then the cars socket automatically unlocks.

Anyone got any first hand experience of this?
Hmm, I wonder if different cars handle this differently. Obviously there is a protocol that the car should conform to in order to handle the charger comms etc, so I presume that unlocking should be part of that protocol, but....we know not all cars fully comply to the protocols...
Interesting :unsure:

Can you unplug a car without a key fob to unlock the plug? Unsure about Rapid Chargers, but at home I have to unlock the car and unplug within several seconds, otherwise the plug/connection is locked in...
It has been configured to lock in the cable to the car with good reason.
e.g. - because if you where using a 7 kw public charger and somebody wanted disconnect you from the post, then they could do this IF the cable was not locked into the car's port.
Maybe they could then steal your type 2 cable, if the post then released the other end of the cable I guess ?.

This is why charging etiquette needs to be more of a thing, and also why charging providers need to strictly enforce overstay fees. Situations like this should never occur on rapids.

Tesla is the only provider that has got it right so far. Plenty of chargers so there is generally always one point available. Big overstay fees are automatically deducted from users' accounts.

Last edited:
I've heard/read others saying they've unplugged from other cars that had finished charging on rapid ccs, so am presuming once the charger stops charging the car then the cars socket automatically unlocks.

Anyone got any first hand experience of this?
Done this once, a Kona finished charging, nobody in it, I unplugged the Kona and then charged mine!

Had a great away day at football today. Planned charging from East Lothian to Aberdeen.
Stopped at Forfar 50kwDC charge free and parked in Bon Accord shopping centre and got free charge in Aberdeen(£6) parking.
On way back stopped at Forfar for a top up.
High winds affected my range and Edinburgh city bypass closed at Hillend. Pulled off at Hermiston with 18 miles remaining.
Only to find another mg ZS EV identical to mine parked with the 50kw ccs plugged in with nobody in it.
It’s bad when we get iced but I thought MG owners would know better.
Shame on you!
Took me an extra 1 1/2 hours to get home
Has anyone else had this problem?
Do we post pics of the culprits ?
Maybe this will embarrass them to stop being so selfish!
Hi Stuart, back in August forum member Dave S opened a thread on this very subject which went on for quite a while it was entitled 80% ENOUGH Campaign.

There was around 26 posting on that thread and below is what I wrote back then, and I still stand by it.

From this thread (same subject really) it appears not much has changed so something is needed to help stop this happening I made some suggestions of what could be done in dave’s thread and and I repeat I stand but it.
Les

[IMG alt="Les burrows"]https://www.mgevs.com/data/avatars/m/2/2525.jpg?1617527569[/IMG]

Les burrows

Premium Member
JoinedDec 15, 2020Messages421Reaction score406Points66Age74 WiganDrivingMG5 EV
Hi first off I want to say to DaveS well done for this campaign it is well worthwhile will it make any difference I hope so.

So I think most EV owners know charging on a rapid above 80% ish is not the best thing for the battery which is why the car or the chargers or both throttle back the charge rate When they get some where around this level of charge.

I have wrote before on this forum that I don’t think anyone using a rapid should leave that vehicle for any longer then a toilet break that’s my opinion on it, if you intend to be more let’s say 15/20 minutes you should stay with the car until it’s at 80% most owners have a good idea how long there car needs to get to that level and then they should move it from the bay.

I also think it’s a very good and courteous thing to leave contact number on the car as some one on here Suggested even when you are only on a toilet break that takes away the anxiety of people waiting if they call you and you say ok I’ll be back there in whatever time 10-15 minutes they can wait or find another Charging point.

Now Lovemyev has written above #21

The cost of that charge does NOT reduce in line with the speed of the charge though.
Sitting on the rapid to gain that last 15 - 20% until fully charged, is going to be a lot slower than when the charge cycle commenced that’s for sure.
The last 20% of a charge is going to be the most expensive anyway !.

Well I don't understand where you are coming from with this lovemyev as we pay for the charge by the amount of KW we put in the car so if the car is taking In let’s say 50 Kw at say 40p per kw when the charger slows at around 80% and then you leave it still charging and the rate of charge drops to around 7KW you still only pay the same rates for the KW that goes in it just takes much longer doesn’t it

Now I know that my sons Tesla model X sends him a warning when is car is up to around 75-80% charged and if he doesn’t unplug within about 10 minutes of that warning he is charged for the charge

So unwittingly lovemyev May have hit on a very good idea which I’m sure could be done by the networks that being timed charging instead of KW charging for example on a rapid £5.00 for 30 minutes £12.50 for an hour £20 for longer just the way most carparks work that would make owners think twice about leaving there cars for longer than they should and give everyone a chance
Les

In NZ we pretty much have one charging network. Typical price is 25 cents per minute plus 25 cents per KW (UK pence is 12.5 for each).

Occasionally get annoyed when the charge is slower than it should be but otherwise a good system…although my preference would be a fixed price per KW with ‘late fees’ if > 80%.

75 minutes is the limit, changes to 90 minutes next week, I thought it was 90 and had the £10 fee this week, was in the car, It was Engie , contacted them and Genie refunded the fee as a goodwill gesture , they looked at my history to decide to refund, very good I thought
Well blow me down..... I could have sworn it was 90 but you are right. Was it ever 90 since we both thought so, did they drop it to 75 at sometime without us noticing?
I'm not against it, it would solve all these people leaving their cars plugged in overnight.

Was EVd out of multiple rapid chargers a few weeks ago. Pretty sure the cars belonged to a few locals who lived across from the chargers, but at half 10 at night, and all bar one vehicle charged, there wasn't anyone nearby coming to get the cars off charge.
Another reason to do away with free rapids. ☹️

Well blow me down..... I could have sworn it was 90 but you are right. Was it ever 90 since we both thought so, did they drop it to 75 at sometime without us noticing?
I'm not against it, it would solve all these people leaving their cars plugged in overnight.
Very strange as I was convinced 90 mins , so I am glad we are both mistaken not just me

I think you meant p or cents per kWh. @Les burrows @michaelgaunt

difference-between-kW-and-kWh.png

May I throw another option out there, increase the price per kWh once the car reports to the charger that it has reached 80% full.

Actually thinking about it (I don't use them much), rapids don't allow you to choose to only charge it to a certain SOC% do they / or only supply X amount of kWh, maybe they should?

Personally I don't think you should only be allowed to charge to 80%, it maybe necessary for people to get a higher charge SOC.
Also, to put arbitrary limit of 80% is not right as different cars allow different rated charges, think new ZS BMS vs old BMS.

The actual issue is people tying up the charger when they're only accepting a low charge rate, how can this be overcome via pricing.
The actual power consumed must be charged for as that is a directly related cost.
The only other option is to charge for time too or, somehow make the cost per kWh proportional to the rate at which the car is accepting a charge - this would be difficult to "explain" to the customer.

Here's a crazy but fair idea, charge per kWh (but a low marked up price based on AC kWh wholesale cost), then add on a per minute cost to effectively cover the fixed costs of the physical charger.
Make the pricing equal to what it would be currently if you charged at a rate of 50kW.
Let's work out a fair split:
So currently 45p per kWh, if you did 30kWh charge = (30*45)=1350p.
New price: 15p per kWh (30kWh*15p)=450p & (60/50*30=36mins@50kW) 25p per minute.

The ideal solution is for DC rapid chargers, to have more than 1 CCS connection that can be used concurrently & just charge per kWh. The first car has priority but the second/subsequent car gets whatever DC power is left over e.g. if the charger is capable of outputting 80kW and the first car is only accepting 20kW, then allow the 2nd car the remaining 60kW.
(Plus allowing cars to be unplugged if they've finished charging)

Done this once, a Kona finished charging, nobody in it, I unplugged the Kona and then charged mine!
This is an accepted etiquette amongst long-standing EV owners. if you have finished charging you no longer need to be plugged in. I have loads of little business card-sized notices in my car aimed at ICE and EV owners who block chargers. nobody would leave their car parked at a petrol pump would they?

A couple of weeks ago I left my car on a charger while getting groceries. When I returned to my car , someone was attempting to pull out the connector from my car.

Whenever I charge my car at a "public" charger I now put a note on my dash with my phone number. Works a treat. Whenever someone needs to charge their car they can call me.

May I throw another option out there, increase the price per kWh once the car reports to the charger that it has reached 80% full.

Actually thinking about it (I don't use them much), rapids don't allow you to choose to only charge it to a certain SOC% do they / or only supply X amount of kWh, maybe they should?

Personally I don't think you should only be allowed to charge to 80%, it maybe necessary for people to get a higher charge SOC.
Also, to put arbitrary limit of 80% is not right as different cars allow different rated charges, think new ZS BMS vs old BMS.

The actual issue is people tying up the charger when they're only accepting a low charge rate, how can this be overcome via pricing.
The actual power consumed must be charged for as that is a directly related cost.
The only other option is to charge for time too or, somehow make the cost per kWh proportional to the rate at which the car is accepting a charge - this would be difficult to "explain" to the customer.

Here's a crazy but fair idea, charge per kWh (but a low marked up price based on AC kWh wholesale cost), then add on a per minute cost to effectively cover the fixed costs of the physical charger.
Make the pricing equal to what it would be currently if you charged at a rate of 50kW.
Let's work out a fair split:
So currently 45p per kWh, if you did 30kWh charge = (30*45)=1350p.
New price: 15p per kWh (30kWh*15p)=450p & (60/50*30=36mins@50kW) 25p per minute.

The ideal solution is for DC rapid chargers, to have more than 1 CCS connection that can be used concurrently & just charge per kWh. The first car has priority but the second/subsequent car gets whatever DC power is left over e.g. if the charger is capable of outputting 80kW and the first car is only accepting 20kW, then allow the 2nd car the remaining 60kW.
(Plus allowing cars to be unplugged if they've finished charging)
Education is more of an issue than anything else. You are wasting your time remaining plugged in beyond 80%. much quicker to drive to the next rapid if on a long journey.

All EV's should come with some sort of basic guide that is universal to all. this is one key rule that most have no clue about! Personally, I only rapid what I need and allow a little extra for peace of mind. Why pay 40p/kwh when I can pay 5 at home?

A couple of weeks ago I left my car on a charger while getting groceries. When I returned to my car , someone was attempting to pull out the connector from my car.

Whenever I charge my car at a "public" charger I now put a note on my dash with my phone number. Works a treat. Whenever someone needs to charge their car they can call me.
there is actually a service via an app for this to avoid leaving your number but can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

You register your car, reg, and mobile number and if someone rocks up and needs a charge they log on to the app, put your reg in and you get a notification that someone is waiting to charge.

Education is more of an issue than anything else. You are wasting your time remaining plugged in beyond 80%. much quicker to drive to the next rapid if on a long journey.

All EV's should come with some sort of basic guide that is universal to all. this is one key rule that most have no clue about! Personally, I only rapid what I need and allow a little extra for peace of mind. Why pay 40p/kwh when I can pay 5 at home?
Not necessary true.
On one of the rare occasions I needed to use a rapid on a long trip, I calculated that I needed 85-90% charge to get safely home, I did not want to have to detour/find another rapid somewhere, so I charged up to something like 86% I think it was - I've got the new BMS and was still getting a good charge rate until I unplugged.

Completely agree, all EV purchasers should be given some sort of guide, I've seen numerous folk on the FB groups that have bought an EV without a clue about how they're going to charge it etc.

Not necessary true.
On one of the rare occasions I needed to use a rapid on a long trip, I calculated that I needed 85-90% charge to get safely home, I did not want to have to detour/find another rapid somewhere, so I charged up to something like 86% I think it was - I've got the new BMS and was still getting a good charge rate until I unplugged.

Completely agree, all EV purchasers should be given some sort of guide, I've seen numerous folk on the FB groups that have bought an EV without a clue about how they're going to charge it etc.
like every rule, there are exceptions. I was referring to extended journeys requiring multiple rapids.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom