MG ZS EV perspiration from leather effect upholstery.

Thanks for this. I would have gone for the SE version with cloth trim had I known about it. Ive had a few cars with genuine leather trim and never experienced this problem before. I'll certainly be pre-cooling the cabin in future on warm days.
Leather is a more breathable produce, the Pleather / so called Vegan leather has vinyl / plastic properties, this is the cause of “stickiness” on your skin.
After all, it’s not a breathable skin produced it’s a man made “look a like”.
Feels similar, looks similar but it not the same.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230315_094002_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230315_094002_Samsung Internet.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 60
Leather is a more breathable produce, the Pleather / so called Vegan leather has vinyl / plastic properties, this is the cause of “stickiness” on your skin.
After all, it’s not a breathable skin produced it’s a man made “look a like”.
Feels similar, looks similar but it not the same.
Sigh, and I thought the seats in my car were from those carbon fibre breed cows... 😥

not felt sweaty, but have had occasions in the summer when we get very hot backs, where both me and the passenger have felt like the heated seats were on, no lights on the seat buttons and because the air temperature was warm we can't tell if the seats have been somehow activated or not. It only happens for a shortish period but has not happened during the winter months. Still unable to decide if it is just the dodgy leather or the seats are randomly turning on.

not felt sweaty, but have had occasions in the summer when we get very hot backs, where both me and the passenger have felt like the heated seats were on, no lights on the seat buttons and because the air temperature was warm we can't tell if the seats have been somehow activated or not. It only happens for a shortish period but has not happened during the winter months. Still unable to decide if it is just the dodgy leather or the seats are randomly turning on.
The heated seats do not have any stepped / level feature, like in some cars.
They have only two positions, off or full on !.
If they when ON in the summer time, you would very quickly know.
It’s purely down to the fact that the Pleather material is unable to breather sufficiently enough in hot weather conditions which it turn causes a damp condition at the base / mid section of your spine typically.
Pre-Cooling the car before you intend to use it, will help considerably.
If the seats are already warm from the sun on entry, it just accelerates the problem.

Last edited:
I got the car last summer and immediately got a sweaty back from it. When the summer comes back round I’ll start trying out some seat covers or maybe a small lumber cushion.

Like so much else with these cars the seats are also cheap nasty plastic. We may not have exceptionally hot days in the UK but the days we do are more than enough to get out of the car with a wet shirt.
The upholstery is like something left over from the 70's, so on a really hot day it may well take the first layer of skin off if sitting on the seats in shorts or no shirt on.

Like so much else with these cars the seats are also cheap nasty plastic. We may not have exceptionally hot days in the UK but the days we do are more than enough to get out of the car with a wet shirt.
The upholstery is like something left over from the 70's, so on a really hot day it may well take the first layer of skin off if sitting on the seats in shorts or no shirt on.
I've always preferred the fabric seats of the more Excite and SE models for that reason. I even considered the idea of buying a pair of Excite front seats from a vehicle dismantler and swapping them out, but actually fitting thermal blocking, nearly clear, window film at the front of the car was simpler and retained heated seats for the winter. The MG4 at least has a fabric insert where you sit.

I wouldn't say it was cheap and nasty plastic. It does a similar imtation of leather like many manufacturers do now (even Mercedes with their MBTex). It isn't as bad as say the 70's vinyl seats.

Tbh I don't think real leather is much better in hotter conditions (in my experience).

Pre cool the car and lose a few miles with the Air Con turned up.

I have found real leather very nice in hot weather but my last 2 cars have had vented a\c seats probably makes all the difference

Leather is as natural ( skin ) product is more breathable, over the so called vegan ( plastic ) leather counter part alternatives on the increase.
What ever your personal views are on using animal skins to furnish car interiors, if you use the vegan / plastic alternatives, then in hot weather this IS going to be uncomfortable on the skin.
I once owned a VW Golf that had vegan leather covering the seat bolsters and then the centre sections of the seats where covered in a really soft smooth alcantara type material.
For me it was the best combination of two materials I have ever had in a car.

The inside of my car reached the low 40s today and while I did put A/C on for 10 minutes the seats were baking when I and my daughter sat in. Ladies with skirts have a real problem and I should probably not be wearing a kilt in this weather either.

We were travelling to Wales on one of the hottest days last month & it was 27 degrees.We had the same experience of wet shirt stuck to my back on exit from the car.Have now got a solution.Bought 2 black cotton bath towels & punched 4 stainless steel eyelets on one end so when folded in half the eyelets can be placed on the 2 shafts of the headrests and the towel tucked into the gap of the seat where the squab meets the seat back.The towel doesn't move and no more sticky back. PS wash the towel first to avoid any colour run.The towels can removed & laundered when required.

We were travelling to Wales on one of the hottest days last month & it was 27 degrees.We had the same experience of wet shirt stuck to my back on exit from the car.Have now got a solution.Bought 2 black cotton bath towels & punched 4 stainless steel eyelets on one end so when folded in half the eyelets can be placed on the 2 shafts of the headrests and the towel tucked into the gap of the seat where the squab meets the seat back.The towel doesn't move and no more sticky back. PS wash the towel first to avoid any colour run.The towels can removed & laundered when required.
Egyptian cotton ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom