MG ZS EV Rear mounted bike carrier

KJI

Banned
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hoping someone will be able to help me with this, I'm looking to get a rear bike rack for my ZS EV but not sure if they are compatible. Saris Bones looks to be the favourite but their fit guide doesn't include MGs

I've previously had roof mounted carrier (on a saloon) but feel the bike will just be too high up on the ZS

Any suggestions gratefully received

Are you talking tow bar mounted? I got a tow bar fitted to mine for precisely this reason. The nose weight of the tow bar is 50 kg which may be a problem if you need many bikes or heavier electric ones. If you mean the "clip on" ones then I don't know I'm afraid, I suspect there are racks of that type that fit but personally I wouldn't trust those types of bike rack.

I was literally about to start a post about toe bar bike carrier recommendations, how did you go about sorting yours please?

I got the 2022 model because it is rated for attaching a tow bar and will take a load of 50 kg on the tow ball. This will support a bike rack for two e-bikes. I recommend the
Thule EasyFold XT - which will take two e-bikes. It's tiltable and folds for easy storage. Make sure you choose one with a minimum distance betw bikes of 22cm, to easily fit the bulkier bikes (i.e. avoid the VeloCompact model).

Are you talking tow bar mounted? I got a tow bar fitted to mine for precisely this reason. The nose weight of the tow bar is 50 kg which may be a problem if you need many bikes or heavier electric ones. If you mean the "clip on" ones then I don't know I'm afraid, I suspect there are racks of that type that fit but personally I wouldn't trust those types of bike rack.
No, just a hang on the rear door sorry

The racks that fixes to the rear hatch are okay if you are only carrying a couple of light weight bikes.
But although some will handle 3 - 4 bikes, it puts a lot of strain and pressure on the tail gate skin panel.
My son had a VW Tiguan and had two adults bikes and two kiddie bikes strapped on.
They were very secure, but you could see large pressure dents in the hatch back due to the weight.
When the bikes and rack was removed, you could still see some metal distortion in the skin panel.
For this reason alone, a tow bar hitch has to be the best way to go really.

Although most bike racks are super expensive or not compatible, we found a £45 one on eBay (new) which carries 3 bikes and works a treat. Fiddly to fit but no issues in use.

3 Bike Carrier Rack Car Van Truck Mount Bicycle E Bike 60Kg to fit MG 5068652957887 | eBay

PXL_20230408_123558127~2.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom