MG ZS EV Shipping Updates

View attachment 8954
See post from Miles on 13th May - assume no fine on the 60 vehicles he managed to get?
My understanding was that those cars were allocated to the dealership as stock by MG. As such, no they didn’t get a fine as it wasn’t a case they had made ghost orders for stock.

My understanding was that those cars were allocated to the dealership as stock by MG. As such, no they didn’t get a fine as it wasn’t a case they had made ghost orders for stock.
My dealer on the Isle of Wight has orders going back to March for SR cars - yet MG decide to give 60 to an other dealer. I know in Miles defence, MG approached him and said would you like 60 cars to sell, but why are MG supplying cars to stock when customers have ordered them and are told delivery TBA. Maybe these cars were made after the price rise - @£500 per car multiplied by 60 - MG got £30K more than if they had satisfied customers orders who are on waiting lists.

There are plenty of folk on this forum raging on 'Where is MY car as Chorley have been allocated 60 cars?'
There is a very simple answer.
SAIC (MG) build in batches NOT to an order.
VW, Ford, Mercedes all build to an order. The dealer puts the order in and your car is given a slot to be built, and some you can follow it along the production line.
Not so at SAIC!

Re the MG ZS EV range, there are 6 options (forgetting colour) available in the UK.
SE SR, Trophy SR, Trophy Connect SR, SE LR, Trophy LR and Trophy Connect LR.
I have no idea what size a batch is, could be 500, 1000, maybe 2,000 or even 5,000, who knows.
Also we have no idea what the true state of the order book for the UK orders is, as that is commercially sensitive.
Maybe there are 400 orders for the SE SR model, and 500 turn up in the batch destined for the UK.
Therefore MG have 100 SE SR cars going spare, Chorley take 60 of the spare cars.
No person has been usurped and got a car before anybody else, because only 400 SE SR cars were ordered!
Untwist those knickers now!

MG (SAIC) will always try to satisfy the 'exact' order i.e. the colour.
They can't offer you a SE SR when you ordered a SE LR, you would lose your government grant in the first instance. The only thing you can change without penalty is the colour.

What does need to happen is representation from MG UK to SAIC China to build a batch or two of the most popular model be it Trophy LR or Trophy Connect LR.
That of course is dependant on the various chips and wiring looms being available!
Those batches have to integrated into the ROW LHD cars, now we can see why things don't just turn up on our shores!
Mg i.e. SAIC are beginning to understand how European car manufacturing works, a be it slowly!
Tesla have the same problems but seem to manage it better!!

My dealer on the Isle of Wight has orders going back to March for SR cars - yet MG decide to give 60 to an other dealer. I know in Miles defence, MG approached him and said would you like 60 cars to sell, but why are MG supplying cars to stock when customers have ordered them and are told delivery TBA. Maybe these cars were made after the price rise - @£500 per car multiplied by 60 - MG got £30K more than if they had satisfied customers orders who are on waiting lists.
Maybe they were all SE when your dealer wanted/ordered Trophy or Trophy Connects?

Maybe they were all SE when your dealer wanted/ordered Trophy or Trophy Connects?
Hi Ian, all I can say is my dealer is trying to get hold of the MG Area Manager. He has a number of orders 26 in total LR and approx same number SR and not received one car. I was told by another member of the forum that the other dealer on the Isle of Wight has a very similar story. So how come in May did MG UK not satisfy existing orders. Out of 60 vehicles at least one must have matched an order on the Isle of Wight.
The excuse of chips shortage has me questioning what the difference in chips between the LR Trophy and the SR Trophy? Surely it is just a bigger battery? China are the biggest manufacturer of EV Batteries followed by South Korea. I can’t imagine MG sourcing batteries from Russia or Ukraine?
It just doesn’t add up.

Just wondered, booked in January with octopus via salary sacrifice. Octopus back then told me they ordered my car in November.... Has anyone got clear date/order number from octopus?
I managed to get the MG order number from Octopus- but after asking very directly and after a lot of frustrated emails. Also ordered in January but believe they then raised it directly with MG instead of already having it on waiting..

Last edited:
ZS EV SE long range in white, looks to be exactly what MG Lancaster are selling ^^ :( currently scheduled for September but no build date judging by 'approximates'. Also trying to find out what dealership Octopus have used, they're quite secretive about that too

ZS EV SE long range in white, looks to be exactly what MG Lancaster are selling ^^ :( currently scheduled for September but no build date judging by 'approximates'. Also trying to find out what dealership Octopus have used, they're quite secretive about that too
I'm literally in exactly the same situation as you. Same car as well!

Hi Ian, all I can say is my dealer is trying to get hold of the MG Area Manager. He has a number of orders 26 in total LR and approx same number SR and not received one car. I was told by another member of the forum that the other dealer on the Isle of Wight has a very similar story. So how come in May did MG UK not satisfy existing orders. Out of 60 vehicles at least one must have matched an order on the Isle of Wight.
The excuse of chips shortage has me questioning what the difference in chips between the LR Trophy and the SR Trophy? Surely it is just a bigger battery? China are the biggest manufacturer of EV Batteries followed by South Korea. I can’t imagine MG sourcing batteries from Russia or Ukraine?
It just doesn’t add up.
My dealer (sounds like drugs doesn't it!) had mostly an order book of Trophy LR and Trophy Connect LR cars, not many if any SEs, so if SAIC builds a batch of SE SR cars, none are going to our dealers. Customer unhappiness!
Chips aren't the problem right now, but I am sure the batteries are. The SR battery isn't the same, that is exact chemistry, to the newer Long Range one. My feeling is they have a surfeit of SR batteries and want ride of them!
Just because the profit margin is greater on the SR model, I'll let you decide why we are seeing SR cars for sale!

As for the global supply in the car industry, just because the car is made in China, Korea, Austria, or Brazil, doesn't mean that all, not even half the components, come from that country.
My I-Pace, built in Austria, but many of the components came from India, South Africa, and Brazil. It is and probably will stay a global industry never mind the Ukrainian war.

Can dealers track orders to see what the state of the car is - e.g. being built, on ship, at docks etc..?
No! The cars are built in batches, and there is no way for MG UK or the dealers to see where their cars are!
As I said this is the Chinese way of building cars, not the European way. They may change, who knows, but I would hold your breath!

It appears to me that the MG main dealers are firstly protecting there own business, by trying to satisfy customers back orders, when at all possible.
Third party orders ( lease companies etc ) are getting almost nothing.
Any stock / proposed Demo orders, are being offered up for sale in a “free for all” inflated price war.
These cars in many cases, are priced way above the price that existing waiting customers will have signed up to pay.
These early cheaper deals are less profitable now as Gants have been lost and the retail price of the car has increased.
MG have that many orders, they can afford for some of its customer to drop their original orders.
Any customer cancellations made at the dealer, will be left to come into stock.
The dealer will let the order run !.

It just doesn’t add up.
This is exactly the point...and of those I called, your dealer isn't the only one waiting on SR deliveries but hasn't had any, and had no clue about any extras.

Spare SR should only be the case when the existing backlog is satisfied.

View attachment 8954
See post from Miles on 13th May - assume no fine on the 60 vehicles he managed to get?
No fine would apply on these as they were freely offered by MG - it's not anything that Chorley did/didn't do, is my understanding.

Given how little has trickled down, they'd have been crazy not to take these spares they were offered if there's a chance they could sell them and get some coins in.

Last edited:
Can dealers track orders to see what the state of the car is - e.g. being built, on ship, at docks etc..?
From my experience the dealer I'm using can see what point there car is at from being built, to on the sea which they have been able to show to me. This is accompanied with an estimated arrival date which they have taken with a pinch of salt all the way along. I don't know what other stages it shows on the way. When I last checked my trophy LR was on the see with a 12th July estimated date.

They won't have a demand problem forever, particularly with the new prices and no grant.

I won't forget the way they've handled this when choosing my next car...

Dacia Duster, Comfort spec, £16345
MG ZS EV, SE long range, £31495

Even at £2/litre £15150 will buy a lot of petrol.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom