MG ZS EV Shipping Updates

Hi all, like a lot of you we ordered a Trophy in Black Dec 2022. Small dealer in Tunbridge Wells knows nothing and MGUK are telling us to talk to our dealer. Incredibly frustrating.

The thing I'm now getting concerned about is an increase in price and the £2500 EV grant not being honoured. Has anyone found any online government mention that they will honour ev grants from the time of order for manufacturer delays and how long they will do so? Dealer keeps telling me that's safe and accounted for but trust is a little low tbh. The main reasons I'm now holding on are this and price. Anyone experienced price increases from order as I know other manufacturers are doing so, like Mercedes for example.
Same here Dec 9 order. Gov. Grant is part of deal and the dealer needs to apply for an extension - which will be granted - if 9 months are exceeded between order and delivery.

Same here Dec 5th had to sign a form in Jan to say I had purchased car on the 5th as am sure the dealer did not put in for grant in time he told me it will be OK 😠

Would suggest you talk to your dealer about grants. There is a process and providing it was followed by the dealer it should be ok. A good question would be to the dealer - have you had any experience of grants being rejected? My dealer has only done one grant and that was ok.
As for prices I think MG have honoured the list price at order so far.

Spoke to a friend today who ordered lr trophy in Feb, he's just been told not to expect delivery until at least end of Q2 2023

I ordered my Trophy Connect LR at the beginning of November 2021.
I picked it up on 4th July!
Richmond Portsmouth were my dealer.
Because I raised some pertinent questions with MG regarding pricing and availability, they (MG) 'found' me a car to the EXACT specification - correct colour etc. - on a ship that was docking on 14th June in Bristol!
I could ask the question 'why do you have spare cars on the ship?
What is very interesting , well to me is, there was a build sheet in the glove box relating to my car, correct VIN etc. that has a build date of 25th Feb 2022!
Question if SAIC build in batches why wasn't this and others in the batch shipped before now! March, April, May and half of June is WAY longer than is needed to transport from China to UK. Cars were being loaded on to ships during that time even during their lockdown.

By the way it is not all love and roses as the car was handed over to me with a Sat Nav which didn't work, the PDI should show up things like this.
A 6 hour stint at the dealers sort of cured this.
Now, it seems after a DC charge, the Sat Nav 'forgets' the route after 10 mins of driving! Very user friendly, NOT!
The radio on certain DAB channels has its volume controlled by the throttle and brake!

A lot of software re-writes are needed, so maybe by the time your cars arrive that will be sorted?
My sister's pickup time for her new Skoda Enyaq was delayed by an hour because the dealer hadn't finished all the latest downloads for the car! Well done that Skoda dealer in Epsom for checking for the latest updates before delivery.

The brochure is current but not up to date. No more Trophy Connect. No more sunroofs.
Hang on a minute. Did I just get that correct. SAIC are still making cars to the old spec (3 models and sunroofs) and dealers are claiming delivery of these well into 2023. Now we have a dealer advising a 4 month delivery on the new spec car (no sunroof etc)
This would mean that SAIC are to build 5 different models on the production line.
It would also mean that existing orders are pushed further back to give precedence to the new spec cars. I am hoping that your dealer was telling a lie.

Maybe question the ability for the dealer to deliver - ask for £100 discount for every month that the delivery is delayed and also offer additional £100 to the price for every month that the delivery is early.

Hang on a minute. Did I just get that correct. SAIC are still making cars to the old spec (3 models and sunroofs) and dealers are claiming delivery of these well into 2023. Now we have a dealer advising a 4 month delivery on the new spec car (no sunroof etc)
This would mean that SAIC are to build 5 different models on the production line.
It would also mean that existing orders are pushed further back to give precedence to the new spec cars. I am hoping that your dealer was telling a lie.

Maybe question the ability for the dealer to deliver - ask for £100 discount for every month that the delivery is delayed and also offer additional £100 to the price for every month that the delivery is early.
Not too mention magic’ing up a brand new MG4, together with a new facelift MG5 before Christmas!

It would seem that Billy Smarts are running the factories within the SAIC group.

I ordered my Trophy Connect LR at the beginning of November 2021.
I picked it up on 4th July!
Richmond Portsmouth were my dealer.
Because I raised some pertinent questions with MG regarding pricing and availability, they (MG) 'found' me a car to the EXACT specification - correct colour etc. - on a ship that was docking on 14th June in Bristol!
I could ask the question 'why do you have spare cars on the ship?
What is very interesting , well to me is, there was a build sheet in the glove box relating to my car, correct VIN etc. that has a build date of 25th Feb 2022!
Question if SAIC build in batches why wasn't this and others in the batch shipped before now! March, April, May and half of June is WAY longer than is needed to transport from China to UK. Cars were being loaded on to ships during that time even during their lockdown.

By the way it is not all love and roses as the car was handed over to me with a Sat Nav which didn't work, the PDI should show up things like this.
A 6 hour stint at the dealers sort of cured this.
Now, it seems after a DC charge, the Sat Nav 'forgets' the route after 10 mins of driving! Very user friendly, NOT!
The radio on certain DAB channels has its volume controlled by the throttle and brake!

A lot of software re-writes are needed, so maybe by the time your cars arrive that will be sorted?
My sister's pickup time for her new Skoda Enyaq was delayed by an hour because the dealer hadn't finished all the latest downloads for the car! Well done that Skoda dealer in Epsom for checking for the latest updates before delivery.
Thanks for updating this information which is really interesting. From your information it shows that it has taken up to 12 weeks to get from the production line to the delivery ship. Does this mean that in China they have a stock of cars with the steering wheel on the right awaiting shipping?

Maybe part of the delay is finding space on ships to transport?

According to the current brochure, which I have just downloaded, the Trophy & Trophy Connect have 'panoramic sky roof'?
The brochure needs updating... it refers to pre 1st July models. 'Trophy Connect' model was essentially renamed as 'Trophy' with the roof being deleted and rear privacy glass added instead, which you can see under the specs here: New MG ZS EV | Electric SUV

What is forum members' opinion on whether orders through lease companies come before private orders?
based on fact/hearsay/guessing
Personally I've not seen anything to indicate that lease takes precedent. I was actually told when I was initially enquiring at MG dealers, that there's better margin in customer cars (plus there's finance deals) so they look to satisfy those first. Whether that bears out in reality I don't know...

I'd guess the dealer is just quoting the standard 4 month lead time. That being said, when I keep in mind all the 'spare' SR that turned up even though the LR went on sale first, nothing would surprise me.

As to built cars sitting in China awaiting transport, that's no surprise...just good to get a better idea of the timeframe. I'm sure Miles has covered in the podcast some time back about the competition for shipping slots as well as the increased cost. This is why I'm interested in whether SAIC have got their ships online yet as you'd think it'd speed things up.

The brochure needs updating... it refers to pre 1st July models. 'Trophy Connect' model was essentially renamed as 'Trophy' with the roof being deleted and rear privacy glass added instead, which you can see under the specs here: New MG ZS EV | Electric SUV

Personally I've not seen anything to indicate that lease takes precedent. I was actually told when I was initially enquiring at MG dealers, that there's better margin in customer cars (plus there's finance deals) so they look to satisfy those first. Whether that bears out in reality I don't know...

I'd guess the dealer is just quoting the standard 4 month lead time. That being said, when I keep in mind all the 'spare' SR that turned up even though the LR went on sale first, nothing would surprise me.

As to built cars sitting in China awaiting transport, that's no surprise...just good to get a better idea of the timeframe. I'm sure Miles has covered in the podcast some time back about the competition for shipping slots as well as the increased cost. This is why I'm interested in whether SAIC have got their ships online yet as you'd think it'd speed things up.
Lack of ships is not the problem.

My delivery date has now moved to October 2022. 11 month wait, ridiculous all round!
That's not a real estimate. As has been said multiple times on this thread, the only official line from MG themselves is 'TBA', everything else from lease companies and dealers is just a guess based on nothing unless they've been told YOUR car is built.

What is forum members' opinion on whether orders through lease companies come before private orders?

Thanks for updating this information which is really interesting. From your information it shows that it has taken up to 12 weeks to get from the production line to the delivery ship. Does this mean that in China they have a stock of cars with the steering wheel on the right awaiting shipping?

Maybe part of the delay is finding space on ships to transport?
You can but hope🤞

We've only seen a few cars coming through a leasing company/broker, maybe 5?
On that basis it appears priority is being given to dealer orders.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom