MG ZS EV Shipping Updates

Heard from my dealer over the weekend yet another push back to May/ June.
This is from October 21, I am getting very cynical about the situation now, is it a ploy by dealers to get people to cancel orders that have been good deals at the time, so they can up the price and interest rates why the get the stock
Those deals were based on the government grant so they'll make exactly the same profit they would with the increased prices after the cut. They make no profit on a cancellation.

Just thought I would post my experience so far.

Ordered the ZS EV LR SE in Battersea Blue on the 20th January via Arval Ignition who use Drive Vauxhall fleet services (Salary sacrifice via work) for this particular order.

The initial date I was given was the 31st May 2022 for delivery, however when I followed up the other day I was advised it is too early to follow up, they advised me it is better to chase after 8 weeks since the order was made.

Have to say, when I do chase them they are quite quick to response and do seem helpful where possible, but I reckon when I chase at the end of the month I am expecting a push back until Aug/Sep realistically as this seems pretty consistent with other comments on this thread.

I would have taken the SR version but sometimes I do complete journeys over 120 miles each way so LR makes sense. I would say I am happy to wait but impatient (I want it now)

I notice the local dealership in Weston super Mare has a black and red ZS outside their showroom now with notes in the windscreen saying available, enquire within. I presume they are SR models. which came in on the Sunlight Ace.

Our friends wanting to buy a new iPace have to place an order and wait 12 months. Even then that is not an absolute guarantee.

Tesla are quoting 14 to 20 weeks. They have been delivering cars to meet targets with features missing because of chip supply problems.

The entire automotive industry in having problems meeting customer orders. It is even worse for EVs where demand already outstrips supply.
Same as Polstar, just to get the cars out

Are we expecting anything EV on it or will these be petrol and phev
Who knows 🤷‍♂️ but it was said on the last podcast that due to chip shortages the Trophy connect may be the car that is delayed more then any other but no one really knows.

Those deals were based on the government grant so they'll make exactly the same profit they would with the increased prices after the cut. They make no profit on a cancellation.
Unless the grant application is gained against the customer name, who made the original application and that particular order AND then IF that customer cancels the order, then the grant literally “dies” when that customer cancels his / her order.
If not, then the car will remain ordered by the dealer, they are not going to cancel the order of that car !.
Then selling on that car could be very profitable!.

I don't buy that dealers are trying to prompt customers to cancel orders. Bumping a few sales so they drop into the next quarter...sure, I could see that. Most of them have brick & mortar premises, salaries, taxes, utilities & other overheads to cover and cash is king.

Unless the grant application is gained against the customer name, who made the original application and that particular order AND then IF that customer cancels the order, then the grant literally “dies” when that customer cancels his / her order.
If not, then the car will remain ordered by the dealer, they are not going to cancel the order of that car !.
Then selling on that car could be very profitable!.
Uh?
Sake of argument price to dealer is £25k.
Pre grant they sold it for 31k, so 8.5k profit (6 + 2.5k grant).
They now sell it for 33.5k, a cancelled order doesn't qualify to get the grant. Still 8.5k profit.

Prices rounded, taken from carwow and mg site.

Potentially, the biggest worry to shipping/delivery dates for all EVs, not just MG, is news like this:

1646814434888.png

LME closed the Nickel market yesterday and has cancelled trades due to the ridiculous price rises over the last few days. Along with the enormous rises in energy costs, which will make production and shipping many times more expensive than they are today, expect these and many other factors combined to push build/delivery dates out and prices up :(

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom