MG ZS EV Shipping Updates

Nigel. I think they are as fed up as us. Hes been honest each time we've spoken and said they just don't know whats happening or when.

Ordered my on the 17th December and was told the government had just stopped the grant, no warning what so ever, so I missed out on that by 2 days, I know how lucky am I?…still got the £1.5k from the dealership, I think it was..
Depending on what spec your car was you would have still been eligable for £1,500 from the gov and if bought on finance another £1,500 from the dealer

There are only 6 variants with 5 different colours.
Does anyone know; do they have 5 different paint shops, or do they have to clean all the hoses and jets between each batch? If it's the latter, that's going to take valuable time between each colour batch.

Don't think it makes any difference its in the software already
Just looked and think you are correct. My test drive was pre facelift and had old clocks - facelift is fully digital.
9FA01B7E-2E83-4BB7-983B-8E1C57878DD9.jpeg

Ah, just watched some Youtube videos on car production lines . . . fascinating. They start with panel pressing and robot welding to form the shell. Inspection for door and panel alignment and off for a few dips in the primer baths. Then come the robot sprayers, and in one video I could see a car being sprayed blue whilst the one being inspected was red. This makes me think that each robot has 5 paint nozzles and hoses on each arm, which kind of makes sense.

Once the shell is ready, they get to work fitting the drive train and then fit out the interior.

So from what I saw on the videos, production is quite flexible so that colour or trim wouldn't be an issue in production bottlenecks. The dashboard goes in quite early on in the process, so if they are waiting for circuit boards to go into the dash on a specific trim, they may not assemble those cars until they have the electronics in the dash before the robot inserts it into the car.

Last edited:
I’ve just ordered a ev5 from Richmond MG Portsmouth today and the sales man said it’s about 6 months lead time , but they do have some on preorder
I’m lucky that my current car (Kia Ceed 2 ) is only 3 1/2 years old so is ok for now

Ah, just watched some Youtube videos on car production lines . . . fascinating. They start with panel pressing and robot welding to form the shell. Inspection for door and panel alignment and off for a few dips in the primer baths. Then come the robot sprayers, and in one video I could see a car being sprayed blue whilst the one being inspected was red. This makes me think that each robot has 5 paint nozzles and hoses on each arm, which kind of makes sense.

Once the shell is ready, they get to work fitting the drive train and then fit out the interior.

So from what I saw on the videos, production is quite flexible so that colour or trim wouldn't be an issue in production bottlenecks. The dashboard goes in quite early on in the process, so if they are waiting for circuit boards to go into the dash on a specific trim, they may not assemble those cars until they have the electronics in the dash before the robot inserts it into the car.
They are are moving lines though, with cars typically taking a day to make it down the line to completion. Unlikely they are making them and pulling them off the line into storage waiting for parts.

They are are moving lines though, with cars typically taking a day to make it down the line to completion. Unlikely they are making them and pulling them off the line into storage waiting for parts.
Can’t imagine any car factory do that , I deliver to Mini in Oxford and there’s no spare space to do that

That's why I think they are not assembling cars they haven't got all the parts for, which could be why some people who ordered their cars a month or two ago are getting them before people who ordered a different spec last year.

That's why I think they are not assembling cars they haven't got all the parts for.
parts problem is even affecting trucks ,
DAF are sending out mirror cam trucks without the screens (just the bracket on door pillar ) but the still the cameras , and normal mirrors , looks very odd

Has anyone on here recieved a lease vehicle from one of the many online lease companies? I spoke to an MG dealership the other day who was adamant that I would not likely see my vehicle as MG wouldn't likely supply the lease companies throughout this supply issue? Something to do with fleet vehicles and losing money??
It would be good to know people opinion and if any other lease companies have been supplied with vehicles at all?
Not sure on this one as my local Derby dealer had around 10 mg5 in and when I asked about them the salesman said they were awaiting collection from a leasing company

Depending on what spec your car was you would have still been eligable for £1,500 from the gov and if bought on finance another £1,500 from the dealer
Trophy LR…only got £1.5k, though it was from the dealership, maybe it was a government grant…doesn’t really matter..

Not sure on this one as my local Derby dealer had around 10 mg5 in and when I asked about them the salesman said they were awaiting collection from a leasing company
Ah that's interesting! Maybe the lease companies order through the MG dealerships, acting as a kind of middleman, getting preferential rates as bringing in volume of sales!? I wonder if anyone can confirm or deny this.

Ah that's interesting! Maybe the lease companies order through the MG dealerships, acting as a kind of middleman, getting preferential rates as bringing in volume of sales!? I wonder if anyone can confirm or deny this.

I am waiting delivery of a trophy connect LR through OctopusEV, who are a leading company. They make an order on my behalf through a dealer local to me.

Yes Nigel is the most honest one among them. So I am assuming your order status is no longer TBA?
At 1st he told us March. Then it jumped to June ish maybe.. Not been told TBA. Now Nigel rang out of the blue and said by end of June. BUT, until his hands on bonnet no promise on pick up date. Hopefully we have another call soon.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom