MG ZS EV Sim Card Battery??

AndEV

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I’ve been having trouble getting the app to connect to the car in recent days, which has coincided with the cold snap we’re experiencing. This morning, it wouldn’t connect, so I went out to the car, put it in ready mode, then switched off, and low and behold, the app connected. I’m just wondering if anybody knows whether there’s a separate battery used to power the internal SIM card, which me be causing the problem. Car is going in to the workshop today for investigations into the passenger door opening intermittent failure, so I’ll raise the issue with the dealership too, but it would be useful to know in advance. Cheers

How long since you last used the car?

I know when we left it for 10days, it wouldn't connect until we'd used the car again. Someone else mentioned if they haven't used it for a couple of days they'd seen the same. I wonder if the comms shuts down after a preset time to save the 12v battery.

How long since you last used the car?

I know when we left it for 10days, it wouldn't connect until we'd used the car again. Someone else mentioned if they haven't used it for a couple of days they'd seen the same. I wonder if the comms shuts down after a preset time to save the 12v battery.
Hadn’t been driven for about 18 hours on this occasion, but it’s been as little as 10 hours when I’ve had the same problem, which just seems a little bit too short a time if you want to take advantage of the cabin pre-heating. Interestingly, when it’s been plugged in to charge, I haven’t experienced the issue.

Yes that's way too quick. Only other thing I can think of is I know where we park, the reception is crap, but it does usually work.

Does anyone know if the 12v battery is kept topped up when on charge?

Last edited by a moderator:
Update from the dealership is that it’s not a battery issue. MG acknowledge that there are some issues with the app which they are working on, or it could be a signal issue - I’ve been asked to monitor it in different scenarios and locations to try get to the bottom of it. I’ll be interested to hear if anybody gets told something different as I’m not particularly convinced at this stage.

I don't think it's a sim card as it's a esim the head unit sort of stays on ie unlock car sit in it a minute with it all still switched off now touch the screen it will beep at your touch so I think it's running the app/sim in the background

How old is your ZS?? I'm wondering if non-essential systems are shut down at a 12v voltage, as the lead acid gets, older and colder, it will drop faster.

Mum and dad, killed the lead acid on their leaf, because they did 4000miles in 4 years, the lead acid didn't get charged enough, and was eventually beyond repair. The dealership were kind enough to replace it though as a courtesy out of warranty.

How old is your ZS?? I'm wondering if non-essential systems are shut down at a 12v voltage, as the lead acid gets, older and colder, it will drop faster.

Mum and dad, killed the lead acid on their leaf, because they did 4000miles in 4 years, the lead acid didn't get charged enough, and was eventually beyond repair. The dealership were kind enough to replace it though as a courtesy out of warranty.
It’s just a month old, or at least that’s how long I’ve had it, but who knows how long it was sitting in Shanghai!

Well mine did it today, weather is slightly warmer, so first thing I did when I powered it on, was flick it onto the tyre pressure screen, as that shows the 12v battery voltage. Okay it took me a few seconds, but the voltage was 13.3v which I don't think is unduly low.

BTW Mine is also approx 1month old, at just over 1000miles.

Probably a bit of useless information but last night my app stopped working and I done one thing different than normal I switched off my climate control ?

so first thing I did when I powered it on, was flick it onto the tyre pressure screen, as that shows the 12v battery voltage. Okay it took me a few seconds, but the voltage was 13.3v
Anything over 13V probably means it's charging, so you're really reading the DC-DC output voltage rather than the rested voltage of the auxiliary battery.

Try two presses of the start button with no foot on the brake pedal. The instruments are still running, and there is a moderate load on the auxiliary battery (fans, computers etc). You may find that the battery voltage is under 12.0V then. If it's under about 11.5V, the battery is under charged, or worn out.

It's probably worth giving the auxiliary battery a good long charge now and then, especially in cold weather.

I think the problem occurs in all the around the world MG car.

I used MG HS I-Smart Petrol (not PHEV)

The I-smart app couldn’t connect after i leave the car parked 2 hours, but if i open or unlock the car door, it can connect again.

And then after i leave the car again around 2 hours, it couldn’t connect the app again until i unlock the car.

I have this issues since this Saturday. I live in Indonesia and the weather is not snow.

Attachments

• 150927EE-362D-4932-9414-46C5DF8B891C.png
    150927EE-362D-4932-9414-46C5DF8B891C.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Anything over 13V probably means it's charging, so you're really reading the DC-DC output voltage rather than the rested voltage of the auxiliary battery.

Try two presses of the start button with no foot on the brake pedal. The instruments are still running, and there is a moderate load on the auxiliary battery (fans, computers etc). You may find that the battery voltage is under 12.0V then. If it's under about 11.5V, the battery is under charged, or worn out.

It's probably worth giving the auxiliary battery a good long charge now and then, especially in cold weather.
I would tend to agree, I was getting the charging voltage, you just can't view it quick enough the way I did it, I'll try your double press, next time if i remember.

On the app, the voltage is 13.2 at the moment, after 2 days of standing, but as someone else noted the car is on charge, and appears to maintain the 12v while plugged in.

Okay my failed again, and this time I turned it on, without engaging the HV battery, the low voltage battery was bang on 12v.

Which begs the question, I have 2 devices plugged in which could be dragging the 12v down, a hard wired dashcam, and a OBD Bluetooth Adapter, both a left permanently plugged in. I wonder how many others that are experiencing this are using similar devices.

Is your dash cam wiring on a permanent live feed ?.
If so, are you able to set the dash cam to close down / go into sleep mode after a time of inactivity?.

Is your dash cam wiring on a permanent live feed ?.
If so, are you able to set the dash cam to close down / go into sleep mode after a time of inactivity?.
The thought did cross my mind, but that sort of invalidates, the whole reason for park mode on a dash cam. It also isn't consistent how long it takes to die, if it is 12v battery drain, but I guess temperature and inital state when parked, also play a part.

Like you say, that looks like it could cause a problem, I can defintely unplug the dongle for a while, see if that improves things, problem is, it's such an intermittent problem, could only confirm that is the problem if it hasn't re-occured in a month or so.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom