MG ZS EV stops charging

Mclean93

Standard Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

Haven't been on here for a while but in need of some advice ..

I have a 70 plate MG ZS EV and about 3 weeks ago it would just stop charging after 10-15 minutes or so. Had the car in the garage and then have done tests and say the is complety fine and it's my cable thats the problem. I have now changed the cable and its still cutting off.

I am using a pod point wall pod at home.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

I have tried....

1- Completely switching off the wallpod at the fuse and mains switch
2 - new cable
3 - charging at tesco car park..(works fine)

Thanks in advance.

Sorry its a 70 plate! 🙈

Last edited:
As you have tested your ZS EV on a public charger at Tesco ( I am going to assume it's a AC 7kW post and not a DC Rapid unit, because that makes a difference ) and all appears fine, then it has to be an issue with your P.P. wall box surly then ?.
You could use your Granny unit I guess for now as a temp measure.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you have tested your ZS EV on a public charger at Tesco ( I am going to assume it's a A/C 7kw post and not a D/C Rapid unit, because that makes a difference ) and all appears fine, then it has to be an issue with your P.P. wall box surly then ?.
You could use your Granny unit I guess for now as a temp measure.
Yes tesco was an AC 7kW charger. I'm trying to get hold of Rolec but having no luck getting any info out of them. Yeah I am using the granny charger atm. But bit of a nightmare when I'm doing 50 miles a day for work! Any idea what to be looking for to see if the PP is faulty?

Try contacting podpoint. I had a problem when I had solar panels fitted and found out that podpoint had a software update with respect to the power balancing of the podpoint unit.
Is that through Rolec or do I contact podpoint separately??

Okay … So, is it the earlier “Dumb” Rolec wall box unit you have, or the latter Rolec Smart wall box unit you have then ?.

Thats the charger info. I believe its one of the older ones. Sorry as you can tell im very new and inexperienced with all.of this info 🙈

Attachments

• 20230216_184626.jpg
    20230216_184626.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 66
The label states charging 16A so it will only charge around 3.5kW. Be careful if buying a new wall box as your existing cabling might not be able to handle a 7kW charger

Thats the charger info. I believe its one of the older ones. Sorry as you can tell im very new and inexperienced with all.of this info 🙈
Are you having to reset the RCD breaker in the Rolec wall box, that is possibly tripping recently, by any strange chance ?.
Does the test button on the RCD still work correctly as it should on the Rolec ?.
Can you please take a photo of the front of the wall box and then provide us with a close up picture of the area of the wall box that houses the RCB breaker switch, it is just under the little window at the top of the wall box.
Next question, how old is this dumb Rolec wall box and have you ever had the RCB breaker switch fail / replaced in your wall box in that time ?.
If not, would I be right in thinking your RCB in the wall box is a Rolec branded item and is therefore likely to be an “off white colour” and the manual isolation flick switch on the breaker, will be either blue or green in colour ?.
These Rolec supplied / branded RCB’s are a very common point of failure ( ask me how I know ).
The white bodied RCB with the blue coloured switch is the very early version, the one's with a green manual iso switch is the latter attempt by Rolec to improve the quality.
But in fact, if you give these wall boxes RCB any serious usage, it is likely to burn out and fail after roughly 13 - 15 months.
First sign of failure of the RCB is when the test button fails to work correctly, followed by the RCD tripping out and not providing a full charge when selected and need to reset the RCB manually by the owner more often.
These symptoms can be a clear indication that the RCBhas or is about to fail !,
My wall box was installed in 2016 and it has received both types of RCB ( supplied by Rolec under warranty ) and they have both burnt out and failed.
I given up using Rolec branded products and fitted a Garo RCBO instead.
These are far superior in quality at about £25.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom