MG ZS EV Temperature and drastic drop in miles per kWh

Has anyone found a way to pre-heat the battery whilst the car is plugged in? On my LR trophy, the battery heating on the app does not work (although sometimes it says 'success') and the only way I can get the battery to heat is with the charger disconnected and the car in 'ready' mode.
Not exactly but putting cabin heater on definitely warms the battery when on charge and after the 10 minutes is up the battery heater is displayed in app some times as on

True, but it's probably not too far past the 2030 deadline before the price of used ICE cars take a nose dive, as tax disincentives start and they start to become close to worthless.
It remains to be seen how the "stick" part is implemented.... although watching what happens to the carrot part has been a tad baffling

Not exactly but putting cabin heater on definitely warms the battery when on charge and after the 10 minutes is up the battery heater is displayed in app some times as on
Sadly, that does not work on mine. I've tried both AC on and screen demist and although the cabin heat comes on and the car starts charging again, the battery heater remains off (a LR trophy ZSEV). The only way I can find to engage the battery heater is to unplug the charging cable and put the car into 'ready'.

I don't know if you might find this one worth watch too. I'm keeping an eye on it myself and hoping more people will eventually vote on the poll, as it's easier to gauge results that way:
Yes l am thinking the same, found a huge drop in miles, but now put it in garage night times to charge, hopefully will be better

It can be good..in winter
-2 ..trip 220 km slow driving. 50 km left!! I didn't believe it.

15,7 kw 100 km.

Same trip to home today almost the same conditions.

20 kw /100 km.

We have charge it.

Attachments

• IMG-20221216-WA0028.jpeg
    IMG-20221216-WA0028.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 64
You know how I roll by now @N2STY.
A lot of comments last week, reported large drops in predicted range in the much colder temperatures conditions of -6.
I reported similar drops in predicted range in our LR also, with on real surprises TBH.
Members worrying if they had problems with either their cars or their batteries !.
As a creature of habit myself, I always offer the car the same opportunity with regards to charging SOC / location / trips reset etc.
As you know, it is easy to spot any switch in trends and behaviour changes from the norm.
Well I did post that these big changes were down to the low ambient temperature fluctuations, but this was dismissed by somebody ?.
Well - After conducting my usual charging routine last night, with ALL of the parameters identically set, the only difference was the improved weather condition.
I am glad to report that my theory was proven correct.
I have screen shots on my phone of the battery SOC percentages, both before and after charging, from the same home location over the last ten days and both the internal temperatures of the car the outside temperatures also.
There maybe some people who maybe interested in this stuff, but I find it unnecessary to upload all of the pictures TBH.
Keeping it very brief and simple, here is a snap shot across a couple of days.
Saturday 17.12.2022 -5 degrees SOC 78% and a predicted range of 200 miles.
Sunday 18.12.2022 -6 degrees SOC 78% with a slight reduction in range of 199 miles.
The car did not move between readings taken.
Monday day time, used the car a run the car down to about 38 % SOC.
Set the car to conduct a delayed charge in the army hours of Monday morning.
Monday 19.12.2022 +9 degrees set charging level SOC to 80% and the following morning, the normal predicted range of 212 miles has returned, like magic.
This is what I have consistently seen when charging to 80% from March of 2022 when we collected the car.
The predicted range dived when the temperature plummeted over about 10 days.
That is enough research done to satisfy myself enough really.
I notice that nobody has posted today to say that the range has increased slightly ? 🤣.
So, when the temperatures drop significantly don’t panic folks, it’s not that your battery is a fault, it’s just an EV thing 🤣.
I will insert a couple of photos only folks.

6B2E99A9-9C6E-4EA0-98DB-B836E73EE2BE.jpeg

EAA520E4-D68D-47A6-B32D-9E96077ED1E7.jpeg

AB52E565-EEC6-4996-BB96-0943FCCEE361.jpeg

Last edited:
I found under MONTA by Meg Parker giving the battery mileage at different temperature range.
-20c average loss -50%
-10c average loss -40%
0c average loss-20%
+10c average 100% charge
+21.5c average+15%
+40c average drop 20%
So 21,5c is the best optimal temperature.

You know how I roll by now @N2STY.
A lot of comments last week, reported large drops in predicted range in the much colder temperatures conditions of -6.
I reported similar drops in predicted range in our LR also, with on real surprises TBH.
Members worrying if they had problems with either their cars or their batteries !.
As a creature of habit myself, I always offer the car the same opportunity with regards to charging SOC / location / trips reset etc.
As you know, it is easy to spot any switch in trends and behaviour changes from the norm.
Well I did post that these big changes were down to the low ambient temperature fluctuations, but this was dismissed by somebody ?.
Well - After conducting my usual charging routine last night, with ALL of the parameters identically set, the only difference was the improved weather condition.
I am glad to report that my theory was proven correct.
I have screen shots on my phone of the battery SOC percentages, both before and after charging, from the same home location over the last ten days and both the internal temperatures of the car the outside temperatures also.
There maybe some people who maybe interested in this stuff, but I find it unnecessary to upload all of the pictures TBH.
Keeping it very brief and simple, here is a snap shot across a couple of days.
Saturday 17.12.2022 -5 degrees SOC 78% and a predicted range of 200 miles.
Sunday 18.12.2022 -6 degrees SOC 78% with a slight reduction in range of 199 miles.
The car did not move between readings taken.
Monday day time, used the car a run the car down to about 38 % SOC.
Set the car to conduct a delayed charge in the army hours of Monday morning.
Monday 19.12.2022 +9 degrees set charging level SOC to 80% and the following morning, the normal predicted range of 212 miles has returned, like magic.
This is what I have consistently seen when charging to 80% from March of 2022 when we collected the car.
The predicted range dived when the temperature plummeted over about 10 days.
That is enough research done to satisfy myself enough really.
I notice that nobody has posted today to say that the range has increased slightly ? 🤣.
So, when the temperatures drop significantly don’t panic folks, it’s not that your battery is a fault, it’s just an EV thing 🤣.
I will insert a couple of photos only folks.

View attachment 13886

View attachment 13887

View attachment 13888
Since the temps are back up to about 5-8C since the cold spell, mine has “improved”from about 2.2-2.4 m/kWh to 2.9-3.

It’s better but for me it’s more concerning as once I got to about 8-10C in the Ioniq I was easily doing 4-4.5 The difference is huge in range; it means about 150 miles in the MG and 170-180 in the Ioniq.

Since the temps are back up to about 5-8C since the cold spell, mine has “improved”from about 2.2-2.4 m/kWh to 2.9-3.

It’s better but for me it’s more concerning as once I got to about 8-10C in the Ioniq I was easily doing 4-4.5 The difference is huge in range; it means about 150 miles in the MG and 170-180 in the Ioniq.
There you go !.
Happy ( ish ) Bunny 🤣

True, but it's probably not too far past the 2030 deadline before the price of used ICE cars take a nose dive, as tax disincentives start and they start to become close to worthless.
Looks like the disincentives will start prior to 2030, The EU announced & approved a new carbon tax for buildings/heating & road transport fuels last week, The UK's ETS (emission trading scheme) is still linked to the EU's despite brexit. The new Carbon Tax was supposed to have started in 2025 the same time as the New Euro 7 emission standard but world affairs have pushed it back until 2027.

It will put around 10p on a litre of petrol & 12p on a litre of diesel. There is an €87billion social climate fund for European citizens, I wonder if we'll get owt this side of the channel? EU approves CO2 tax on heating and transport, softened by new social climate fund

I have had my Long range trophy since February and a recent check states that battery condition is 100% having covered about 6000 miles.
Since the temperature has dropped over the last few weeks I have found the range on a calculator full charge has. Dropped from about 275/280 miles to about 220 with no changes in the way it is used. Have others had a similar experience.
Does no remember that a petrol car will drastically drop mpg in the winter. I had a Kona hybrid that would do 60mpg in summer on long runs and barely 35 mpg in the winter

You could always add a battery to your household system and use "Cheap stored power" throughout the day?
Ok it costs a fair bit for the battery but it may be worth considering.?

That’s a very interesting point and perfectly relevant. We seldom look at the complete picture when calculating costs (particularly cost per mile). A reduced off-peak cost nearly always comes with a higher peak cost as you mention. The financial impact does depend on how much off peak v peak that you consume too.

In the current market on an EV tariff you typically can pay about 10p/KwHr more on l
That’s a very interesting point and perfectly relevant. We seldom look at the complete picture when calculating costs (particularly cost per mile). A reduced off-peak cost nearly always comes with a higher peak cost as you mention. The financial impact does depend on how much off peak v peak that you consume too.

In the current market on an EV tariff you typically can pay about 10p/KwHr more on your peak rate compared to a tariff without the benefit of EV off peak discounted rate, in order to get the convenience of that cheaper off peak tariff. Although who knows how this figure will continue to fluctuate…

I use around 3000kwhr a year peak so I’m paying around £300 extra on my ‘home’ usage to subsidise my off peak EV charging which uses around 4000kwhr a Year at about 12p/KwHr.

I travel about 15000 miles year = approximately 3p/mile - if you add in the extra that I need to pay off peak to get the cheaper peak tariff (£300) - that increases to about 5/mile (so it not far off doubles the cost in my case). The standing charges are very similar on both types of tariff.

Off course if I charged my EV using peak rates it would cost around three times more and instead of around £480 a year more like £1500 a year, but that’s for me and not everyone.
If you’re travelling relatively short distances a Year (you mention 7500miles), or can’t charge using a competitive off peak tariff, then the current financial benefits of an EV are really not that great any more (this has been done to death elsewhere).

Still the most economic way to go for me is a cheaper off peak tariff, but if that starts to creep up it will soon become less relevant.
It’s a good point that you make.

your peak rate compared to a tariff without the benefit of EV off peak discounted rate, in order to get the convenience of that cheaper off peak tariff. Although who knows how this figure will continue to fluctuate…

I use around 3000kwhr a year peak so I’m paying around £300 extra on my ‘home’ usage to subsidise my off peak EV charging which uses around 4000kwhr a Year at about 12p/KwHr.

I travel about 15000 miles year = approximately 3p/mile - if you add in the extra that I need to pay off peak to get the cheaper peak tariff (£300) - that increases to about 5/mile (so it not far off doubles the cost in my case). The standing charges are very similar on both types of tariff.

Off course if I charged my EV using peak rates it would cost around three times more and instead of around £480 a year more like £1500 a year, but that’s for me and not everyone.
If you’re travelling relatively short distances a Year (you mention 7500miles), or can’t charge using a competitive off peak tariff, then the current financial benefits of an EV are really not that great any more (this has been done to death elsewhere).

Still the most economic way to go for me is a cheaper off peak tariff, but if that starts to creep up it will soon become less relevant.
It’s a good point that you make.
I've had my MG5 LR since December 2022. I'm averaging 2.7 M/KWH but keep Heater to min . Really disappointed, I was expecting at least 220miles in the winter.. Thanks for your input at least it's out there how bad the MG5 performs in the winter.

I've had my MG5 LR since December 2022. I'm averaging 2.7 M/KWH but keep Heater to min . Really disappointed, I was expecting at least 220miles in the winter.. Thanks for your input at least it's out there how bad the MG5 performs in the winter.
Is that the mk2 or old model

I got 4.7 M / KWH on Friday night ( 7c) in a ZS EV LR connect.

How far did you go?
Was only local. A couple of miles. It was the return trip home at about 10.30 pm. I'd been out a couple of hours. The first trip outward got me to 4.2. In eco. No heating. Just seat warmer for a bit. I didn't need anything more. No steaming up so no need for HVAC. I'm using the pingo silicon dehumidifier bags now also. 2 in the front. 1 in the rear.

How are the trips you are doing?
On short trips the battery doesn't get a chance to warm up so under 3m/kWh is pretty normal for temperatures under 5c.
Once the temperatures get into double figures the m/kWh should get nearer to 4 which means the range will increase.
If you reset your trip counters and turn ac and fan off the GOM will look better too.
P.S. you have posted in the ZS bit of the forum🙂

How are the trips you are doing?
On short trips the battery doesn't get a chance to warm up so under 3m/kWh is pretty normal for temperatures under 5c.
Once the temperatures get into double figures the m/kWh should get nearer to 4 which means the range will increase.
If you reset your trip counters and turn ac and fan off the GOM will look better too.
P.S. you have posted in the ZS bit of the forum🙂
Didn't realise, was looking at the info.

MG5 is the 61kw battery. Model Exclusive, manufactured in June 2022.

It should state on the display on all MG EVs the type of battery fitted

Blimey, I get 2.4 with heaters on, seats on, & foot down as much as possible!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom