MG ZS EV tyre pressure

proudZSowner

Established Member
Reaction score
As I did on Tesla some time ago, I increased the tire pressure on the MG to 3.1bar.
Perhaps the sound of the (winter) tires is a little louder, but consumption has also dropped...

I've never experienced people referring to tyre pressure as 'bar' before. I thought it was mainly PSI.
Is this another thing we have to start mentally converting (kms to miles etc.)?

I've never experienced people referring to tyre pressure as 'bar' before. I thought it was mainly PSI.
Is this another thing we have to start mentally converting (kms to miles etc.)?

the question is whether it should be an international MG ZS forum or imperial only?
however, i will try to consider both options, on long term run i guess there will be more MG owners who use the metric units - you are the admin and can decide.

Back to topic - default is 2.6bar / 37.7098118818772psi ;)

2020_03_04_13:09:22_01.jpg

the question is whether it should be an international MG ZS forum or imperial only?
It's available to use by everyone who can access it, but messages not in English might not get many replies yet.
I wouldn't impose a restriction on what people can discuss within the rules.
I'm just surprised that there is an alternative to PSI.
^ It's good that there are tyre temperature readings. Not seen that before, either.

As I did on Tesla some time ago, I increased the tire pressure on the MG to 3.1bar.
Perhaps the sound of the (winter) tires is a little louder, but consumption has also dropped...
What's the maximum pressure permitted in the tyres?

Over inflating the tyre will cause them to wear more in the centre section of the tyre which will reduce the mileage you’ll get before replacing them.

As we are talking tyres, Ours arrived with Chinese Michelin tyres made domestically , are these the default brand or a random O.E fit on the production line I wonder ? Not sure of the TP's but will check them cold tomorrow. We have been for a drive today for my other half to familiarize herself with the car , it drives and handles very well. Strangely I will not miss my Lexus IS F Sport !!!

Checked my Tyre pressures today,cold, dealer set them at 35psi. Manual suggested 33psi. It's minor and academic,but, I'm sticking with 35/36 as it performs well, nice ride, comfortable, and good road holding. Michelin Tyre www site suggest that this is acceptable re Tyre performance for a vehicle of this kerb weight .

My manual gives tyre pressures (cold) 2.3 Bar/34psi for front and rear wheels. Reading the posts above makes me wonder if/why different pressures are given in some manuals? Although I used Metric and Imperial pressures at work I have always preferred psi for tyre pressures!

Its all a balance. I normally go for the slight lower figure, because I it gives a more comfy ride. My old airline shows both scales simultaneously....but I still think in terms of PSI. I am ashamed to say that after several months of ownership, I have only just checked my tyre pressure, all were at 40 PSI....now 34!

While Ive got my camera in my hand, I thought I'd share my new badges with you. You may hate them like the rest of my family, but I love them. I'm proud that its an EV....it should shout it out.

thumbnail_IMG_7902.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_7903-2.jpg

Last edited:
I have increased my tyre pressure back up to 38psi when cold and I seem to be getting more miles per kWh, see photos below. Driving today managed to get between 4.7 and 4.9 miles per KWh over a short period of distance....when my tires were at 35 cold I struggled to get to 4.0 miles, not sure if the increase in overall weather temp has made this difference....comments and opinions are welcome.

Attachments

• 83CD5F03-65F9-4A0A-B2CE-5A7DA8EF9837.jpeg
    83CD5F03-65F9-4A0A-B2CE-5A7DA8EF9837.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 898
  • D4C8C4DD-8216-4EBD-8CEA-F63DFA23A5A6.jpeg
    D4C8C4DD-8216-4EBD-8CEA-F63DFA23A5A6.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 393
  • F7A98880-9A37-4363-BF40-3295A9CE74BF.jpeg
    F7A98880-9A37-4363-BF40-3295A9CE74BF.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 752
I’d be tempted to say the majority of the efficiency gain is down to the warmer weather

Its all a balance. I normally go for the slight lower figure, because I it gives a more comfy ride. My old airline shows both scales simultaneously....but I still think in terms of PSI. I am ashamed to say that after several months of ownership, I have only just checked my tyre pressure, all were at 40 PSI....now 34!
While Ive got my camera in my hand, I thought I'd share my new badges with you. You may hate them like the rest of my family, but I love them. I'm proud that its an EV....it should shout it out.
View attachment 113View attachment 114
I recognise that badge... used to have them on my Outlander lol! They look in keeping with the car. I actually don't like how the car doesn't shout "EV" more, looking near identical to the Petrol version. Please tell me you're converting that delorian to EV... :p

There are a couple of DeLoreans converted to EV's, but they were done a few years ago with the older technologies. One at Belfast University and the other in the USA. A friend in north Derbyshire, is looking at converting one using stuff from Jag I Pace.

My current car is one of only a hand-full of RHD cars, so is simply too rare to muck about with.

thumbnail_IMG_4881.jpg

Last edited:
I recognise that badge... used to have them on my Outlander lol! They look in keeping with the car. I actually don't like how the car doesn't shout "EV" more, looking near identical to the Petrol version. Please tell me you're converting that delorian to EV... :p
Yes you are quite correct, I still have my PHEV. I bought a couple of second hand cheap badges off eBay, and got my Dremel out and cut off the "Plug In Hybrid" bit. I think they suit the car.

PS...... I think the panel gap on the MG is better than on the Mitsubishi!

thumbnail_IMG_7929.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom