MG ZS EV Weird system effect with Samsung Galaxy buds 2

Grumpy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Had a weird one today. Got into my ZS EV 2 whilst talking on my phone using my earbuds. On activating the car I got messages that all the radar, cameras and avoidance system was not available and the centre console didn't boot.
Finished the call and everything then came on as usual.
Just in case this was a freak I shut down the car, got out and made another call, got back in and pressed start. Same result. The info system and cameras and other systems didn't boot with the same errors.
Any ideas... might be a bluetooth conflict. Don't want to risk it if I'm driving and someone calls me.

I'd imagine it's a safety feature to prevent you driving with no ability to hear dangers and Emergency vehicles.

Don't let the local constabulary catch you with them in.

I'd imagine it's a safety feature to prevent you driving with no ability to hear dangers and Emergency vehicles.

Its perfectly legal to wear my earbuds as they act as hearing aids. Otherwise I would have to use my regular Bluetooth aids which unfortunately pick up the car radio as I'm driving which is distracting and the motor noise is very loud.

The buds are tied into my phone microphone and do not relay any other sounds other than those they pick up in the normal way and I've got filtering on to dampen the motor noise so I can hear clearly. I have checked and as long as I'm not receiving phone calls on them or listening to music they are not treated any differently than other in ear hearing aids.

If it was a safety feature my regular bluetooth hearing aids would elicit the same response. In any event the buds are not paired with the car so I'm at a loss as to why it happens. The only thing I havent tried is to unpair the car from the phone but then I would loose handsfree and AA as well.

Think you need to brush up on your highway code and driving laws. While there is no direct written law preventing headphones or earphones, you can still be pulled over, fined and prosecuted by Police for Driving without due care and attention.

Samsung Galaxy Pro Bud 2's are not classified as hearing aids, so you'd have the book thrown at you.

CD10Driving without due care and attention3 to 9 points

In the UK there is no written law that using headphones whilst driving is illegal, but drivers should still consider the safety implications of using headphones while driving. In addition, while there is no specific law about using headphones, the police could pull you over and issue a penalty under the driving without due care and attention act.

It could be a bit of a grey area but
Screenshot_20230206-212910.png

And

They are not approved by the British Medical Council or any authorised body in the United Kingdom, so as far as things go, you'd have the book thrown at you.

They are not approved by the British Medical Council or any authorised body in the United Kingdom, so as far as things go, you'd have the book thrown at you.
So you are saying that my standard hearing aids that prevent me hearing most sounds when driving should be used rather than my buds that give me clear hearing and are far less distracting and safer.
Where the buds are solely used for hearing aid purposes and for no other reason they are legal to use.
It's a moot point though as I can't wear them in the car if I want the navigation and radar systems working, so I have to use my regular aids which means I cannot hear anything else other than the motor whine or take them out and not hear a thing.

Don't think so as there is no written law on wearing hearing aids when driving there has to be a law on them if there is a minimum spec \ type approved

I'm just stating British Law.

You'd probably win in court if you contested it, but you'd have to spend thousands proving the Samsung Buds are safer than your normal hearing aids.

Just because you feel safer with them in, it doesn't mean your local Police will believe you, and they have to treat all offences equally at point of stopping a driver.

Try going in to the Bluetooth menu of your phone and change which Bluetooth source is used for which feature. So disconnect the Buds from handling voice and media and see if that fixes your issue.

You'd probably win in court if you contested it, but you'd have to spend thousands proving the Samsung Buds are safer than your normal hearing aids.

Just because you feel safer with them in, it doesn't mean your local Police will believe you, and they have to treat all offences equally at point of stopping a driver.

Try going in to the Bluetooth menu of your phone and change which Bluetooth source is used for which feature. So disconnect the Buds from handling voice and media and see if that fixes your issue.
I need the voice handling to make the buds work. I don't have any media on my phone so there is no distraction.
It's nothing to do with being comfortable, it's to do with being able to hear. At the moment having to drive without my regular aids due to the engine noise is far more dangerous.
I set my buds up in my mates Tesla. They didn't affect his car and it was great to be able to filter out the motor noise.
I am considering these but they are not much different to the buds and more expensive

Sorry Not very well

There is no law on wearing headphones unless driving without due care and attention separate offence

There is no law on spec of hearing aid for driving untill bigger commercial vehicles like HGV

There is a law saying you can't use your phone if it's in your hand but if you do use it you can use Bluetooth headset to stay legal as long as you're not handling the phone

Unfortunately there are some not very professional police officers out there just takes a bit of education

I need the voice handling to make the buds work. I don't have any media on my phone so there is no distraction.
It's nothing to do with being comfortable, it's to do with being able to hear. At the moment having to drive without my regular aids due to the engine noise is far more dangerous.
I set my buds up in my mates Tesla. They didn't affect his car and it was great to be able to filter out the motor noise.
I am considering these but they are not much different to the buds and more expensive
You can set the Buds to calls only and it will still keep the ANC/Ambient Sound function active.

Then it should allow all other audio to go to the car system.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230206_220659_Settings~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230206_220659_Settings~2.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 54
Sorry Not very well

There is no law on wearing headphones unless driving without due care and attention separate offence

There is no law on spec of hearing aid for driving untill bigger commercial vehicles like HGV

There is a law saying you can't use your phone if it's in your hand but if you do use it you can use Bluetooth headset to stay legal as long as you're not handling the phone

Unfortunately there are some not very professional police officers out there just takes a bit of education
Sorry Sherlock.

You can set the Buds to calls only and it will still keep the ANC/Ambient Sound function active.

Then it should allow all other audio to go to the car system.
I don't have the pro edition. In any event, I use them as hearing aids so switching to calls only is not an option.

Sounds like a software bug than safety feature to me. Report it to a dealer but cross your fingers that it will just magically sort itself out with other updates at some point!

Hearing is not a requirement for driving.

You don’t even have to declare deafness to the DVLA as a medical condition.

If it was, being sealed in a modern car with all its sound proofing and audio systems capable of drowning out any outside noise would be an issue.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom