MG ZS EV will changing factory rim to a CSA aftermarket Alloy Rim reduces range?

Oze

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Unfortunately my car got bumped with gutter and bent my rims.
So if i buy aftermatket quality Alloy rim same size with same tyre reduce the EV range?

Unfortunately my car got bumped with gutter and bent my rims.
So if i buy aftermatket quality Alloy rim same size with same tyre reduce the EV range?
If you are not able to locate a direct OEM factory replacement, then using a set of after market wheels of matching size / width / weight etc.
This could be seen as an option, but keep with the factory spec/d tyres, I would.
The range loss then ( if any ) will not be THAT noticeable in my opinion.
If you increase the size of the rims then you will see a difference.
It could be regarded as a modification by your insurance company as @octagon has correctly pointed out, so I would check with them first.
Also, there is T&C's of the warranty to consider as well ?.

I suspect that what you are looking for is some theories (or better, practical) knowledge as to whether the aerodynamic effect of swapping the standard wheels with their aerodynamic covers for different wheels without aerodynamic covers? That thought has crossed my mind and when my ZS arrives I intend finding out by doing a known trip covers on, then the same trip covers off. I would imagine that the difference would show in the kw/hr consumption figure very quickly if indeed there is a significant difference. If there is no significant difference I will probably leave the covers off as the stock wheels look better to my eye, maybe with a gloss black paintjob perhaps.

Non-standard wheels count as modification. This may impact on your insurance premium.
Fortunately, most insurance companies don't actually care about alloy wheels, although Australia is a hell of a lot stricter on modifying cars so I would definitely check your insurance even allows aftermarket rims. But in answer to your question, yes it will affect the range of the vehicle, but I would imagine that effect will be so marginal you will not notice it.

Thanks for response eveyone.
So i found 2x factory rims from wrecker as there is none in Australia atm.
And got wheel alignment done.
Now report is saying that rear left is 5 degree Toe is out and its not adjustable.
Question is should i get that fixed ? It will need whole new rear axel . Or simply live with it and replace tyre when it gets eaten sooner?

Attachments

• 20220521_130839.jpg
    20220521_130839.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 179
Also anybody know how to register the new valves with the car? Tyreoni s?

Attachments

• 20220521_170716.jpg
    20220521_170716.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 149
Not sure if I reading these figures correctly or not, so forgive me if I wrong here.
I am looking at the figures for the rear wheel after the measurement checks.
It would suggest to me that the measurement permissible tolerance is 0.5mm to 4.8mm.
Your actual reading taken is 5.8mm.
Therefore, although this IS outside of the manufactures spec, you are 1.0mm outside of that upper end of the scale.
I guess the $99 question is this, do you go chasing that 1.0mm of out of tolerance ?.
Are you 100% positive that the wheel on in that position is 100% running true ?.
Maybe ( as you suggested ) then, that you use the car and pay some close attention to how that tyre wears ?.
Regarding the pressure sensors, if they are the OEM units, they have a self learning capability.
After driving the car for about 5 - 10 miles they should relearn the figures.
It’s the same if you disconnect the 12 volt battery, you will lose the values on the TPMS in the dash panel.
But after a short drive, they will return.

Can you clarify which wheels were damaged in the first place?

Not sure if I reading these figures correctly or not, so forgive me if I wrong here.
I am looking at the figures for the rear wheel after the measurement checks.
It would suggest to me that the measurement permissible tolerance is 0.5mm to 4.8mm.
Your actual reading taken is 5.8mm.
Therefore, although this IS outside of the manufactures spec, you are 1.0mm outside of that upper end of the scale.
I guess the $99 question is this, do you go chasing that 1.0mm of out of tolerance ?.
Are you 100% positive that the wheel on in that position is 100% running true ?.
Maybe ( as you suggested ) then, that you use the car and pay some close attention to how that tyre wears ?.
Regarding the pressure sensors, if they are the OEM units, they have a self learning capability.
After driving the car for about 5 - 10 miles they should relearn the figures.
It’s the same if you disconnect the 12 volt battery, you will lose the values on the TPMS in the dash panel.
But after a short drive, they will return.
Its funny my front & rear right rim was damaged. But Toe on LHS rear is out?
Will TPMS sensor relearning happen if the rims are different. Surely they need to be re paired like a bluetooth connection?

Will TPMS sensor relearning happen if the rims are different.
Are you using your original TPMS sensors from damaged rims ?.
If so, they should relearn after a spell of driving.
If you are using after market sensors or the sensors that came with the replacement rims from the breaker yard, then NO.
These will need re-programming to the car.

Are you using your original TPMS sensors from damaged rims ?.
If so, they should relearn after a spell of driving.
If you are using after market sensors or the sensors that came with the replacement rims from the breaker yard, then NO.
These will need re-programming to the car.
Do you know how to reprogramme?

Sorry, no.
I believe you need a piece of equipment to coded them ?.
The original one’s should already be coded to the car.
On our previous car, we just bought a simple relearn tool.

Cost less than £10 delivered from China and you just needed to put the car into learn mode, and then go to the corner where the turn signal light was on, and hold it against the tyre where the stem was, and press a button. The car would honk, and you would go to the next corner and repeat. When all 4 was learned, it would give a different honk and the procedure was over.

So easy, that my 6 year old could master it :)

On our previous car, we just bought a simple relearn tool.

Cost less than £10 delivered from China and you just needed to put the car into learn mode, and then go to the corner where the turn signal light was on, and hold it against the tyre where the stem was, and press a button. The car would honk, and you would go to the next corner and repeat. When all 4 was learned, it would give a different honk and the procedure was over.

So easy, that my 6 year old could master it :)
any link you might have handy? or model number for this relearn tool? Cheers

any link you might have handy? or model number for this relearn tool? Cheers
That particular tool only worked on GM vehicles between 2 production years, so not much good for the MG.

Also, in the MG, i have not seen any menu, where you would be able to start the learning procedure, so they are probably self learning or need a special tool, connected to the OBD connector.

I think i will just have my existing wheels fitted with Crossclimate 2 tyres, nowadays, in Denmark, there are no more than a handful of days, with actual snow on the road, so i think this will be the "cheapest" option to not have to have the tyres changed and TPMS relearnede 2 times a year by a garage.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom