MG ZS missing V2L function

Just for info, this is the schematic that came with the MG V2L cable, confirming a 2000 ohm resistor 👍
Thanks, that is good to know in case my dealer tries to give me grief for not using an "official" MG cable but a self-built one. I can now prove that it is according to MG specifications.

Can I ask how much you paid for it? I've heard about ridiculous prices of upward of 300 quid.

I can’t see V2L mentioned anywhere on the MG website (UK) for any variant of the MG ZS.

I reckon they have quietly dropped it as a cost saving measure.

Well, the online manual on my MG app says I have it, so it had better well appear at some point!

Attachments

• IMG_3478.png
    IMG_3478.png
    265 KB · Views: 125
I can’t see V2L mentioned anywhere on the MG website (UK) for any variant of the MG ZS.

I reckon they have quietly dropped it as a cost saving measure.
It was part of the ad on Autotrader when I purchased via this dealer. The UI in the car has the option for discharging.

I have done some digging thanks to the excellent internet archive. Compare and contrast page 26.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-06-27 12-26-49.png
    Screenshot from 2023-06-27 12-26-49.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 117
  • MG_ZS_EV_Brochure_Apr_2023.pdf
    6.9 MB · Views: 210
  • New_MG_ZS_EV_Brochure_Jul_2022.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 180
I have P.M’d @Miles Roberts CG to see if he can shine any light on the subject of why some owners of ZS EV Trophy model cars that where registered in 2023 are having difficulties trying to get their cars to provide a discharge.
Even via the official MG V2L cable ?.
He is a very busy man, but hopefully he can find some time to investigate and get back to us 👍.

I've booked my car into local MG workshop to have V2L checked out/updated?, but the first available appt was a month away so I've had to go with that. In the meantime I have also raised the issue with the Lease arrangers and the finance company, so going for a multi pronged attack :)

I'll post any updates here.

I have P.M’d @Miles Roberts CG to see if he can shine any light on the subject of why some owners of ZS EV Trophy model cars that where registered in 2023 are having difficulties trying to get their cars to provide a discharge.
Even via the official MG V2L cable ?.
He is a very busy man, but hopefully he can find some time to investigate and get back to us .
Excellent, much appreciated 👍

BTW mine is a SE long range, not a Trophy.

Wow. This really cheeky how they quietly removed v2l from the brochure...
But they kept over the air updates... Which are non existing. Lol

Don't think many people use v2l, but those who intended and got car without it will be really upset. Rightly so...

According to the MGmotor portuguese site, the V2L function is still mentioned but it says "only long range" model.

Wow. This really cheeky how they quietly removed v2l from the brochure...
But they kept over the air updates... Which are non existing. Lol

Don't think many people use v2l, but those who intended and got car without it will be really upset. Rightly so...
Yes, I am one of those very upset people. Also the dealers will be upset too as many of them are still advertising this functionality:

According to the MGmotor portuguese site, the V2L function is still mentioned but it says "only long range" model.
I have a LR model and it still doesn't work.

Small print at the bottom of the brochure

"Terms and Conditions: Every effort has been made to ensure that the contents of this publication were accurate and up to date at the time of being
published (April 2023). Please note colours and accessories are for illustrative purposes only. Colours and finishes replicated are subject to limitations
of the printing process and may vary from actual colour and paint finish. MG Motor UK endorses a policy of continuous improvement and reserves the
right to make changes at any time without notice to colours, accessories, material, design, shape, specification and models. Items may be discontinued
at any time. Actual UK specification may vary from vehicles shown. For latest information, please speak to your MG dealer."

As my plan was to use V2L to power a fridge while camping next week, and now I can't, a neighbour has offered to lend me his camping cool box which runs off 240v and 12v. I'm thinking I'll plug it in at home on 240v before I go so it gets nice and cold, then plug it into the ZS's 12v on the journey down to maintain the temperature and then run off 12v whilst camping.

Does anyone know how the 12v battery will cope with that?, does it get topped up constantly by the cars main battery, or does it only top up while the car is switched on? Obv's I don't want to flatten the ZS battery and end up stranded. I do have a 12v power pack with jump leads which I assume would be enough to get the car to wake up if the 12v battery does die?

This is all new to me, so hence all the questions :) any advice would be appreciated 👍

Small print at the bottom of the brochure

"Terms and Conditions: Every effort has been made to ensure that the contents of this publication were accurate and up to date at the time of being
published (April 2023). Please note colours and accessories are for illustrative purposes only. Colours and finishes replicated are subject to limitations
of the printing process and may vary from actual colour and paint finish. MG Motor UK endorses a policy of continuous improvement and reserves the
right to make changes at any time without notice to colours, accessories, material, design, shape, specification and models. Items may be discontinued
at any time. Actual UK specification may vary from vehicles shown. For latest information, please speak to your MG dealer."
I'm not sure I'd classify removing a feature as continuous improvement. I also don't think its fair for the onus to be on the buyer. "Can I just check it still has 4 wheels and a motor please?"

I have just received a reply from Miles ref the question regarding V2L problems on some 2023 registered cars.
Unfortunately he not able to provide an instant answer, due to holiday commitments.
But has promised to answer the question as soon as he possibly can.
He will be attending a dealer conference on the 10 July and he will raise the question there, if he does not hear sooner.
Personal, he has NOT heard anything regarding the removal of the V2L function on the ZS EV ( face lift ) himself.
I will post ASAP folks !.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom