MG ZS missing V2L function

Sorry, but no. The "" symbol stands for DC ( "" is for AC)
I agree but I believe the label is wrong (line 2) should say DC\AC output as is converting DC back to AC for V2L I believe they used AC\DC as is bi-directional ?
The symbols are right as showing what the source it is coming from
input form AC (your house)
output DC (from the high voltage battery)

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. It doesn't make sense for an inverter to generate more than 240V. Even a three phase inverter (which the ZS EV doesn't have) doesn't have more than 400V between phases.

I respectfully disagree. It doesn't make sense for an inverter to generate more than 240V. Even a three phase inverter (which the ZS EV doesn't have) doesn't have more than 400V between phases.
It makes sense a DC to AC inverter will need up to 450v DC to Make 230v AC (the 230v to450v is just battery voltage at different states of charge)
That's why the first line has an AC symbol because it's drawing current from AC to convert to DC to charge the battery
The second line is showing a DC symbol because it's drawing current from the DC (battery) at max volts 450 at 22amp to make AC

Edit another way to look at it put lines one and two together as bi-directional bit like this
Screenshot_20230629-172701.png

Last edited:
The number below VMAX looks like a date in the form of YYMMDD, possibly the manufacturing date of that particular CCU unit. And that seems to track with it being generally a few months before the car was built/delivered.

What I also find interesting is that none of them mention AC output. Maybe the inverter is not actually part of the CCU?
The numbers below VMAX on my car ( see above ) read 211204.
It is a fairly early facelift model, collected in mid March 2022.
Applying the principal above, that means my inverter was made in the year 2021 / the 12 Month ( December ) and likely the 04 week.
Which could fit in with the collection date, if you add in the shipping time etc etc.

I have no clue what’s what I’m afraid, but as all the info is the same on all the labels and given that some cars can do v2l without problem, the ones that can’t should also be able to so maybe it is a software issue after all? Or do you reckon that v2l is done elsewhere inside one of the other lecky bits of the car?
I feel the fact that all the cars with broken V2L have the same number (11473414) and none of the working cars have this number strongly suggests that it is indeed this box (the CCU) that is the issue and that it is therefore hardware related.

I feel the fact that all the cars with broken V2L have the same number (11473414) and none of the working cars have this number strongly suggests that it is indeed this box (the CCU) that is the issue and that it is therefore hardware related.
So, do you reckon it’s a fault with those specific units?, or a deliberate act by MG to stop providing V2L on ZS’? If deliberate then informing customers waiting for cars to be built and shipped would seem like a reasonable request, in the same way info about them discontinuing the Pano roof filtered down. Expectation management! If I had been told that V2L was no longer available I would have cancelled the order and chosen a different car that provided it.

So, do you reckon it’s a fault with those specific units?, or a deliberate act by MG to stop providing V2L on ZS’?
I don't know, and I don't particularly care. I'm considering this a defect that was present at delivery and which needs to be fixed under warranty. I was neither informed nor did I consent to a change in specs, so I will hold MG to the specs as they were when I ordered the car (a year ago).

I don't know, and I don't particularly care. I'm considering this a defect that was present at delivery and which needs to be fixed under warranty. I was neither informed nor did I consent to a change in specs, so I will hold MG to the specs as they were when I ordered the car (a year ago).
Agreed!, I feel the same

By way of an update, I understand the UK dealer network has had a notification from MG within the last couple of days that ZS cars manufacturered from the beginning of 2023 do not have this feature. Therefore you should contact your dealer ASAP if lack of V2L is an issue, as it is for me.

UK ZS are normal single phase most houses are single phase I believe new builds will be three phase
They definitely should be. Europe does this as standard and it helps a lot with the big ticket items like heat pumps, EVs etc.

By way of an update, I understand the UK dealer network has had a notification from MG within the last couple of days that ZS cars manufacturered from the beginning of 2023 do not have this feature. Therefore you should contact your dealer ASAP if lack of V2L is an issue, as it is for me.
I wonder it this means they will be dropping bi directional charging on all models in the future.

Thanks for the update.

Just checked and I've got the same inverter code/number shown as you - car delivered March 2023 so assume it doesn't have V2L which is really annoying as was definitely a function we were planning to use this summer. Guessing MG will just hide behind the fact 'specs can change at any time'.

Thanks for the update.

Just checked and I've got the same inverter code/number shown as you - car delivered March 2023 so assume it doesn't have V2L which is really annoying as was definitely a function we were planning to use this summer. Guessing MG will just hide behind the fact 'specs can change at any time'.
If the update is correct, I don’t see how MG can expect their customers to accept this without complaint. These are £30K+ cars and the V2L capability was crucial to making the decision to spend our money with them for many of us. I have no issue rejecting my car if the dealers can’t make V2L work when it’s booked in under warranty to be looked at. Flipping cheek I say!

If the update is correct, I don’t see how MG can expect their customers to accept this without complaint. These are £30K+ cars and the V2L capability was crucial to making the decision to spend our money with them for many of us. I have no issue rejecting my car if the dealers can’t make V2L work when it’s booked in under warranty to be looked at. Flipping cheek I say!
Give them another call now and ask them to check their dealer notifications from MG. Taking the car in is pointless as there's nothing they can do.

Give them another call now and ask them to check their dealer notifications from MG. Taking the car in is pointless as there's nothing they can do.
Below is what I've agreed with the vehicle supplier a week or so ago. I'll let the process run to comply with this agreement (y)

"I am sorry to hear about the issues with the V2L function you are experiencing.

In first instance, we advise to contact your local MG retail and arrange a diagnostic and a repair as the dealership must have an opportunity to resolve the issue under the warranty.

Should the MG retailer fix the issue then its great news. However if the issue cannot be resolved and MG retailer confirms this in writing to you, then at that point you can approach XXXX with a request to reject your vehicle."

Below is what I've agreed with the vehicle supplier a week or so ago. I'll let the process run to comply with this agreement (y)

"I am sorry to hear about the issues with the V2L function you are experiencing.

In first instance, we advise to contact your local MG retail and arrange a diagnostic and a repair as the dealership must have an opportunity to resolve the issue under the warranty.

Should the MG retailer fix the issue then its great news. However if the issue cannot be resolved and MG retailer confirms this in writing to you, then at that point you can approach XXXX with a request to reject your vehicle."
Maybe they'll retro fit the V2L inverter (not).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom