MG ZS Steering Fault - clicking when turning

So emailed arnold shark MG after 6 months to be told my data had been lost in their cyber attack in December. Cc’d the branch manager and miraculously my steering rack “arrived” the very next morning. its all been fixed and the infotainment also updated. Will post about that elsewhere. Worth chasing up your dealers/escalating your issue if you're waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2022 ZS that started clicking intermittently about 2 months after I received the car, about 1500 miles on the clock, I am now at 10000 miles and it is getting worse.
Car has been back to the dealer 3 times, the reply from the dealer is, we can't hear or feel anything.
I actually started to think that maybe I was making it up ;)

Although the movement isn't the same as the videos from Will, I use the car a lot and it is very, very annoying.

The car went back for a 4th time this week and I managed to get one of the sales assistants to come out in the car and I showed them what was happening.
Finally someone acknowledged that hey could hear something.

Throughout this ordeal, I have regularly stated that it sounds and feels like the Uni Joint directly behind the steering wheel, and after seeing Wills video, it all started to make sense.

I would like to add that this isn't the only problem I have had with the car:
Clutch pedal creaks.
Clutch failure.
Apple Car play crashed the head unit frequently.
Appalling MPG.
Rain water seems to be leaking onto the drivers door internally.

What a joke, and all of this started very early on in the cars life.
If I could afford to clear my negative equity on the car, it would be gone in a heartbeat.

Throughout this ordeal, I have regularly stated that it sounds and feels like the Uni Joint directly behind the steering wheel, and after seeing Wills video, it all started to make sense.
Just to clarify, the double UJ joint is at the bottom of the steering column at not behind the steering wheel.
It’s a transfer universal connection between the end of the rigid steering and the steering rack of the car.
Clutch pedal creaks.
Clutch failure.
An ICE model of the ZS EV then ?.
This forum is intended for topics on pure EV’s and PHEV sorry 😢 .
Although the steering column problem is well documented over both ICE and EV models of the ZS.

Last edited:
[ Edit Coulomb: If you are having this issue, please see also the thread below; get it checked, as it could be very serious, especially if it fails at high speed:

]

Can anyone advise what may be causing this issue? The car is only a few months old and after around 1000 miles it making a clicking / creaking noise when turning the steering wheel.

I have uploaded a video of it to YouTube for you to view. It’s been to the garage three times and they are either saying they can’t hear anything or they don’t know what’s causing it.

Anything would help !
Many Thanks
Will

Hi Big, lots of different reasons for this. Search the various threads and tick off each solution until you find the one which fixes your car. Mine was failed uni joint. Video here:

I tighten up all the bolts I could get to around the steering wheel yesterday which seems to have stopped any knocking for now. I wounder how long it will last....

I tighten up all the bolts I could get to around the steering wheel yesterday which seems to have stopped any knocking for now. I wounder how long it will last....
This could suggest that it's not UJ joint that is not the issue then ?.
How many bolts did you tighten then Ian.
There should be two bolts that secure the outer steering column assembly to the body shell and then you have the single nut, that when tightened applies more pressure to the manual pinch clamp adjuster.
Not sure if you are aware, but there is one more other single column bolt that secures the steering column, but it can only be accessed from under the bonnet and you need to remove the wiper blades ( puller ) and the wiper scuttle panel first.
This single bolt passes through the main baulk head first, then secures the steering column assembly.
You maybe just able to see the tail of this bolt from under the pedal box inside of the cabin.
But it can only be tightened from under bonnet as you are unable to turn the welded nut.
One member did tighten the three same bolts, but after a couple of days the rattle came back.
He then went after the third bolt ( under the bonnet ) and it provided the fix.
Somehow the preload on the manual adjuster appears to lose it's tension after a while.
I tend to use the steering a lot, to aid me to enter the car due to a very painful right knee.
This extra pressure may be the cause of the sideways movement that is present at the steering wheel ?.
The clicking / ticking / single knock ( what ever you wish to call it ) is definitely emanating from the head of the steering column at about the 1 - 3 o'clock position I have personally found myself.
There is no feeling of any free play at the steering wheel or any vague steering wander etc.
Any symptoms in this regard, need further investigation urgently as the UJ could be an issue.
@IanE Please keep us informed on the outcome of your work.

This could suggest that it's not UJ joint that is not the issue then ?.
How many bolts did you tighten then Ian.
There should be two bolts that secure the outer steering column assembly to the body shell and then you have the single nut, that when tightened applies more pressure to the manual pinch clamp adjuster.
Not sure if you are aware, but there is one more other single column bolt that secures the steering column, but it can only be accessed from under the bonnet and you need to remove the wiper blades ( puller ) and the wiper scuttle panel first.
This single bolt passes through the main baulk head first, then secures the steering column assembly.
You maybe just able to see the tail of this bolt from under the pedal box inside of the cabin.
But it can only be tightened from under bonnet as you are unable to turn the welded nut.
One member did tighten the three same bolts, but after a couple of days the rattle came back.
He then went after the third bolt ( under the bonnet ) and it provided the fix.
Somehow the preload on the manual adjuster appears to lose it's tension after a while.
I tend to use the steering a lot, to aid me to enter the car due to a very painful right knee.
This extra pressure may be the cause of the sideways movement that is present at the steering wheel ?.
The clicking / ticking / single knock ( what ever you wish to call it ) is definitely emanating from the head of the steering column at about the 1 - 3 o'clock position I have personally found myself.
There is no feeling of any free play at the steering wheel or any vague steering wander etc.
Any symptoms in this regard, need further investigation urgently as the UJ could be an issue.
@IanE Please keep us informed on the outcome of your work.
A week on still no knocking..

I basically drop the dropped the plastics as best as I could around the wheel and nipped up all the bolts I could get to, I also nipped up the Allan bolts I could get to. Interestingly there is an allan bolt directly behind the wheel at the top of the column which is very easy to get to, This took a good extra half turn I have a feeling this may of been the one making the noise.

A week on still no knocking..

I basically drop the dropped the plastics as best as I could around the wheel and nipped up all the bolts I could get to, I also nipped up the Allan bolts I could get to. Interestingly there is an allan bolt directly behind the wheel at the top of the column which is very easy to get to, This took a good extra half turn I have a feeling this may of been the one making the noise.
I am really pleased that your efforts have been rewarded !.
Hopefully 🤞 it cures the problem and remains so.
Did you have to remove any screws to drop the steering column covers, top and bottom and what type are they ?.
How many nuts / bolts did you manage to check tighten in total.
I imagine there is a nyloc nut on the back of the steering column manual pitch bolt clamp ?.
Where are the Alan key bolts located ?.
Thanks for taking the time for posting back and any help will be appreciated 👍.

Last edited:
I am really pleased that your efforts have been rewarded !.
Hopefully 🤞 it cures the problem and remains so.
Did you have to remove any screws to drop the steering column covers, top and bottom and what type are they ?.
How many nuts / bolts did you manage to check tighten in total.
I imagine there is a nyloc nut on the back of the steering column manual pitch bolt clamp ?.
Where are the Alan key bolts located ?.
Thanks for taking the time for posting back and any help will be appreciated 👍.
About this nuts / bolts tightening issue, would it be possible to post some pictures on nuts / bolts / access points to tighten so that it could be easier for us to fix the problem ourselves? Thank you very much!!!

About this nuts / bolts tightening issue, would it be possible to post some pictures on nuts / bolts / access points to tighten so that it could be easier for us to fix the problem ourselves? Thank you very much!!!
Sorry, I don't personally have any photo's on this subject.
Maybe another member can kindly provide them please ?.

Hello everyone,

I've been experiencing a clicking/knocking noise in my MG ZS MK2 (SR) for the past three months. I have an appointment tomorrow to get it checked after waited for two months, but here's the catch: since the cold weather started last week, the noise has mysteriously disappeared. I'm concerned that I won't be able to explain or replicate the issue when I bring it in, and I certainly don't want to be charged £150 for a non-issue. Additionally, I've booked an appointment for a squeaking noise coming from the rear of the car when going over speed bumps. This issue has been persisting since last year and wasn't resolved during my car's 1st service.

Apart from the above no other issues, really love the car though and meets my expectation. Had done only 6k miles and will keep it for few more years.

Any advice on how to handle this situation or what to expect during my appointment tomorrow would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I have a 71 plate z s with 13000 miles on clock.
Recently I began to notice a grinding or knocking noise from steering which was noticeable when turning at slow speed e.g. Parking or reversing out of driveway
Shortly after this the steering failed completely as the universal joint at the bottom of the steering rack had parted company with the rest of the unit, so no steering.
Luckily we were doing a 3 point turn at the time so no real danger but on the open road or a motorway this would have been very dangerous.
Car was picked up by breakdown truck to dealer
3 days later dealer says they can book the car in by May _ 6 weeks after car breaks down!
We are given a courtesy car, which was changed after 5 days and is now being changed for a hire car until our vehicle is repaired. This may take several weeks. Any comments or advice

I have a 71 plate z s with 13000 miles on clock.
Recently I began to notice a grinding or knocking noise from steering which was noticeable when turning at slow speed e.g. Parking or reversing out of driveway
Shortly after this the steering failed completely as the universal joint at the bottom of the steering rack had parted company with the rest of the unit, so no steering.
Luckily we were doing a 3 point turn at the time so no real danger but on the open road or a motorway this would have been very dangerous.
Car was picked up by breakdown truck to dealer
3 days later dealer says they can book the car in by May _ 6 weeks after car breaks down!
We are given a courtesy car, which was changed after 5 days and is now being changed for a hire car until our vehicle is repaired. This may take several weeks. Any comments or advice
I covered my issue in the video posted within this thread. Good luck

IMG_20240418_184701.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom