MG ZS Steering Fault - clicking when turning

I had mine serviced on Monday and the steering click looked at. They tightened up the same tilt mechanism bolt that I did and the click was gone, until I turned into our road, 8 miles later, then it was back. Mine's definitely not the UJs, the noise is more of a single knock as you pull on the wheel as you're turning, go over a bump or pull on the steering wheel when climbing in. It goes away for a short while if I undo and redo the tilt clamp, but always comes back. I may have a go at the whole set of mounting bolts when the weather improves, if that doesn't do it then it has to be a new column as the clamping mechanism is not fit for purpose and I think it's an integral part of the column.

I thought I'd have a go at the other (yellow) column mounting bolts today, I'll leave the bulkhead ones for now.
Took the bottom cowling off the column, nipped up the two yellow ones, tight, made very little difference, they were fairly tight anyway. I noticed while I had the cowl off that when I moved the wheel side to side (not turning) the whole of the tilt clamp was moving as I had it unclamped and between the clamp and the column were some laminated steel plates that separated as I moved the wheel. I believe it's these that are the wrong material (too soft) and are getting squished as any sideways force is put on the wheel.
Anyhow, because tightening this clamp nut too much makes it difficult to clamp or unclamp the tilt mechanism, what I did was set the wheel to my preferred tilt position, clamp it, then because I had easy access to the right hand (green) nut with the cowl off, I tightened the nut nut right up, foregoing the ability to adjust the wheel, and it's now solid, no play, no knock. We'll see how long that lasts, but for now I'm happy, I know exactly where the problem lies, I just can't know for sure why it loosens but I suspect rubbish materials on the clamp.
I can't see the point of having a new column if it's going to be the same a few months later.

I thought I'd have a go at the other (yellow) column mounting bolts today, I'll leave the bulkhead ones for now.
Took the bottom cowling off the column, nipped up the two yellow ones, tight, made very little difference, they were fairly tight anyway. I noticed while I had the cowl off that when I moved the wheel side to side (not turning) the whole of the tilt clamp was moving as I had it unclamped and between the clamp and the column were some laminated steel plates that separated as I moved the wheel. I believe it's these that are the wrong material (too soft) and are getting squished as any sideways force is put on the wheel.
Anyhow, because tightening this clamp nut too much makes it difficult to clamp or unclamp the tilt mechanism, what I did was set the wheel to my preferred tilt position, clamp it, then because I had easy access to the right hand (green) nut with the cowl off, I tightened the nut nut right up, foregoing the ability to adjust the wheel, and it's now solid, no play, no knock. We'll see how long that lasts, but for now I'm happy, I know exactly where the problem lies, I just can't know for sure why it loosens but I suspect rubbish materials on the clamp.
I can't see the point of having a new column if it's going to be the same a few months later.
Get bit of detective 🕵️‍♀️ work @Kithmo .
It will be interesting to hear, if increasing the pressure via the nut on the steering clamp, turns out to be a long term fix.
I like you, believe we have a couple of different issues causing this noise at the wheel.
The failed UJ in the video is more than a little concerning for both the owner and MG themselves that’s for sure !.
You would definitely be able to feel the play in the column, when rocking the steering wheel if the UJ was in this state.
There would be a considerable amount of free play present at the steering wheel, that’s for sure !.
A couple of U.K. owners have had there columns replaced, which had cured the problem it would appear.
MG must be 100% aware of this issue, because they have released a service bulletin ( MG - 0020 ) that recognises the problem.
I understand, this MG - SB recommends replacing the steering column, not sure if this means the entire column assembly, or just the lower section, that houses both of the UJ joints, I have no idea.
This section is splined to the column at the upper point and the lower point attaches to a similar splined shaft of the steering rack.
Both points have a pinch bolt that passes through the knuckles of the coupling and is then torqued up to the manufactures spec.
MG would not be taking this type of action unless they where total convinced that it was a real safety concern.
Maybe they have identified a problem with the UJ joints, on certain cars that has resulted in premature failure.
UJ steering joints are see a potential wear point, but certainly NOT at this early stage in the cars life !.

Good Day

Hello, I would like to ask I change the steering column it needs to wheel alignment?
steering wheel off-center a little bit.

Just for information I had my steering column replaced straight away by the MG dealers here in Queensland and the problem was resolved. I was satisfied with the process and speed of repair but wondered how many other MG models suffered this issue and whether or not it was restricted to just the MGZS EV?

Just for information I had my steering column replaced straight away by the MG dealers here in Queensland and the problem was resolved. I was satisfied with the process and speed of repair but wondered how many other MG models suffered this issue and whether or not it was restricted to just the MGZS EV?
The problem appears to affect the ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) model only.
It is a common reported issue and MG are aware of it.
The fix has been to replace the steering column assembly.
I am a little surprised by its failure rate, because I am informed that it is a Bosch part, which are generally pretty good quality ????.
It’s about 5 hours of labour to replace the column I think.
The issue is likely to be the availability of replacement parts as normal.

Good Day

Hello, I would like to ask I change the steering column it needs to wheel alignment?
steering wheel off-center a little bit.
Re-aligning the steering geometry by centralising the steering wheel first, then adjusting the tracking is likely to be the corrective action the dealer will take.
I would get it booked in as soon as possible, because steering adjustment issues are over covered under warranty, if reported very early !.

I have the same issue currently, just had the car back from MG after having the steering column replaced, still clicks as much as it did before when turning and now the dash rattles too, nightmare.

I have the same issue currently, just had the car back from MG after having the steering column replaced, still clicks as much as it did before when turning and now the dash rattles too, nightmare.
That's not good, take it back.

Mine has a faint click, but not every time you turn the steering wheel . Not effecting steering the car at all , so it's direct and good.
So is it worth doing anything with it.
I have seen one person had their botch steering column universal joint collapse, so not safe.

Hi, I had mine changed under warranty. Partly peace of mind and partly thinking of a new buyer or trade in to come when the price is negotiated downwards because of it.

The new arrangement appears to have solved my problem which got worse and worse after approximately 7,500 kms.

Doug

Thankyou for the advise. Ours has done 5000km, still not very loud yet, can feel it holding the steering wheel as well as hearing it.

Thankyou again , I just hope our mg dealer knows what they are doing when the time comes to take it in.

Mine has a faint click, but not every time you turn the steering wheel . Not effecting steering the car at all , so it's direct and good.
So is it worth doing anything with it.
I have seen one person had their botch steering column universal joint collapse, so not safe.
Hi Rex, our Uni joint failed. I suggest keeping an eye on it and if it gets worse take in for a warranty fix. Enjoy the ZS EV 😃

My ZS EV is now 15 months old and the clicking started around at around 1,000 miles and got steadily worse until I had play in the steering wheel which began to rattle going over bumps etc.

I informed my dealer last September when it went in for the first service and they told me on picking the car up that a new complete steering column had been ordered.

November it was fitted and the car is running great now. I have just 2,500 miles on the speedo now (December) so thanks to Chorley Motors MG in Burnley who did not mess about and sorted the problem first time I am a happy bunny.

That's great, I have told my dealer about ours, they said just bring it on when I am ready, so hopefully they will be just as good here in Australia

That's great, I have told my dealer about ours, they said just bring it on when I am ready, so hopefully they will be just as good here in Australia
Dealer experiences vary widely, here's hoping yours is good. Please let the community know how you go. There is a section within this site which lists dealers globally and you can add your experience there to help others when searching for a good dealer. Cheers

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom