MG4 1 year on, the good and bad

mradamjames

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Ok, so lets do good stuff first.

We got the orange trophy edition, all bells and whistles.

This car is a dream to drive, excellent handling and goes like 💩 of a shovel. Have driven a LOT, in all kinds of weather (blizzard weather in Sweden too) and it’s been great. Really can’t fault it in that regard. Also, of course it looks rad.

The bad.

Windscreen wipers for some reason don’t jet water to a large central part of window, leaving a persistent dry patch. Excessive amount of wiper wash gathers on driver side and seems quite inefficient. Have taken to dealer, more or less fobbed off.

Infotainment. IMPOSSIBLE to have a second phone access or work with it. Can be charged via lead but car simply won’t accept a second phone - despite having done everything imaginable, really. I’m not a tech newbie, it just refuses. So, for one year my partner has had to listen to Swedish radio when she drives. This is crap. Reported to dealer, fobbed off.

Also, the infotainment system is just super glitchy, intermittently unreliable and generally a bit annoying.

Can’t switch off aggressive land keeping assist. Every time you get in the car, every SINGLE time, you have to go through a few menus and turn off. This is just infuriating and actually quite dangerous as you often do this whilst driving.

Hearing system. Intermittently doesn’t work. Believe me when I say this is c r a p p p y. We have had to cancel a couple of trips simply because driving 45 mins in -12 with cold air blowing at you feels idiotic and is extremely uncomfortable. Have reported to dealer, they have installed update. Still occasionally doesn’t work.

The app. WHY CAN ONLY ONE PERSON LOG IN? This app is just terrible. Slow, glitchy, unreliable.

Rubber floor mats. Less that 1 year in, more like 8 months in fact the driver one has a hole where my heel goes which is about the size of an apple. All the water drains through. The mats are made of an obviously cheaper rubber. Reported to dealer, they sent pics to MG… waiting on possible warranty.

Ice in the charging port. Sometimes liquid freezes in there and you can’t charge the car. Thats fun.

Charging port door. Lock has broken and now it won’t shut. Which means you get an annoying alert when you drive. Fun. Reported to dealer, new part sometime coming.

Shoddy build quality on fabric behind flip down seats. They literally just cut a hole with a knife in fabric to let latch fit through.

Lights. They just don’t seem to have a far enough throw when dimmed, not good.

Visibility out of rear with child’s seat behind passenger = next to zero.

So, yeah.

Love driving it. But Jesus wept, did they cut corners or what to keep cost down.

Windscreen vipers, just look to adjust the nozzles yourself.

Infotainment, LKA, heating system - probably some updates to apply by the dealer, if they would bother.

App - over time probably updates will slightly improve it.

Floor mats should probably be done "reklamera" (swedish) on to dealer, regardless of warranty.

Charging port door, I gently applied some spray silicon on the areas that could freeze, with a rag, as I don't want to spray directly inside that compartment. What would help some.

Lights, just adjust them yourself, it is not that complicated.

Visibility with the child seat is poor yes. Big C-pillar and small rear window. As most other new cars, so problem would exist on those as well. 360 cam is good.

Nozzles can’t be adjusted, both dealer and I have tried.

That’s lame re infotainment. Just weak sauce.

Look forward to app updates.

Yes re mats, waiting.

Waiting on door locking mechanism replacement for change door, it’s broke.

Lights, have tried. Their really isn’t much wiggle room.

You can adjust the washer jets, I did mine today.
Very awkward and a bugger to move, (and aim accurately) but they do move.
A thin flat screwdriver is what I used.

Edit: A great deal easier when your wipers are in the service position.

Last edited:
As above, washer jets can be adjusted. Manual page 299…

Attachments

• IMG_7718.jpeg
    IMG_7718.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 80

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member