MG4 : 1st Service : What to expect?

Tig170

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
1695401034815.png

Whilst I appreciate that the 1st MG4 service is merely a "car wash"?, anyone had one from MG and to what exactly you receive? - mine is due, but am slightly worried that they will start to update software, etc., as I just like my default off for LKA as it is., also any info on battery degredation after 12 months?

I payed £85, car was collected and returned same day.
It made me angry why I’m being charged £150 for nothing more than a visual check!! Taking a fxxking pee!!
I wouldn’t have minded too much if it needed an inspection every couple of years.

Tesla does not even require any servicing at all.

View attachment 20282

Whilst I appreciate that the 1st MG4 service is merely a "car wash"?, anyone had one from MG and to what exactly you receive? - mine is due, but am slightly worried that they will start to update software, etc., as I just like my default off for LKA as it is., also any info on battery degredation after 12 months?

Just had my first service. £94 quid, however got AA home start and recovery again, so was relatively happy with that.

They administered 2 x updates, and I lost the fact that the LKA remains off (from when i got the car last September). This can be found on the LKA thread where I vent a little more LOL.

The car went in earlier in the year for the update to stop people getting stuck inside the car (LOL….wow! When you think about it now, what screw up that fault was!!), but at the time, they did not administer another update (which they have now done) and the LKA remained permanently off.

So now, I am acting like a petulant child having to constantly turn the LKA off, even after just applying the parking brake.

Not sure if you are able to refuse this one, but I honestly wished I had asked. I would recommend you do.

Just had my first service. £94 quid, however got AA home start and recovery again, so was relatively happy with that.

They administered 2 x updates, and I lost the fact that the LKA remains off (from when i got the car last September). This can be found on the LKA thread where I vent a little more LOL.

The car went in earlier in the year for the update to stop people getting stuck inside the car (LOL….wow! When you think about it now, what screw up that fault was!!), but at the time, they did not administer another update (which they have now done) and the LKA remained permanently off.

So now, I am acting like a petulant child having to constantly turn the LKA off, even after just applying the parking brake.

Not sure if you are able to refuse this one, but I honestly wished I had asked. I would recommend you do.
I did and it was not applied.

From my Glyn Hopkin dealer

View attachment 20413
Nice to see those very cheap service costs for the MG4! On newer cars I go for the main dealer service for two reasons, to maintain it’s resale value and to ensure any warranty clauses are covered. Often car rust/perforation warranties rely on annual inspection having been done at dealer.

I've paid for 3 years servicing plan including the first MOT which came to a little more than Glyn Hopkin are charging at today's prices. With the way labour costs etc. are going up I thought it was a reasonable bet to do so.
I paid £399 for 3 years servicing plus first MOT ... £67.60 cheaper than the Glyn Hopkins pricing.

So mine was in last week for warranty related s/w updates ... Thankfully all that was sorted ... Which begs the question that technically my 1st is due in December (12 mths) it will be close to 15k by then anyway - WHAT will they Actually do - Is the Air Filter even changed - Are we actually paying for a wash AA and a look around?

Im on a three year fixed term service agreement c/o dealership

So mine was in last week for warranty related s/w updates ... Thankfully all that was sorted ... Which begs the question that technically my 1st is due in December (12 mths) it will be close to 15k by then anyway - WHAT will they Actually do - Is the Air Filter even changed - Are we actually paying for a wash AA and a look around?

Im on a three year fixed term service agreement c/o dealership
How does the cost of the service agreement compare with a full AA membership with repair insurance (mine is far cheaper, another argument for the electric MG ownership)? Preserving the value for the finance agreement is well worth the "hassle" of an annual service.

How does the cost of the service agreement compare with a full AA membership with repair insurance (mine is far cheaper, another argument for the electric MG ownership)? Preserving the value for the finance agreement is well worth the "hassle" of an annual service.
I own out right .. I was only asking as I'm curious what is actually done ... - And yes For a years AA - Its good value ;) Especially when I will not be renewing my existing 2 car/driver RAC policy .. and adding my Wifes car to a one car AA policy .. Win win

I was only asking as I'm curious what is actually done

Bugger....... all. At least it's relatively cheap and you get the breakdown cover. In a way the second year is the bigger rip off as they'll drain likely perfectly good brake fluid regardless of its moisture content and charge the best part of £200 for the nonsense.
The bricks and mortar dealer model really needs to be retired for the EV age but change is painful.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back