MG4 Alarm

andrewhs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Does the MG4 trophy have a internal movement monitor for the alarm and if so how do you switch it off . IE i have dog i occasionaly leave in the car and dont want it setting off the alarm

I emailed MG customer services some time ago and asked the same question. Here is their reply:

I can confirm that there are no motion sensors in the car. The alarm will mainly work through the immobiliser system when someone attempts entry or start the car with no key present.

My (Trophy) alarm triggered when I locked the car ( via the app) with me inside. Perhaps it was my weight on the driver's seat ? I can't recall if I had the key with me; perhaps not.

I emailed MG customer services some time ago and asked the same question. Here is their reply:

I can confirm that there are no motion sensors in the car. The alarm will mainly work through the immobiliser system when someone attempts entry or start the car with no key present.
That’s good to know Ian. I’ll be taking the car on a ferry and on their website it says to disable your car alarm, but I can’t find anywhere in the manual that explains how to do this. If the car has no motion sensors then choppy waters ought not to affect the alarm.

They've been saying that for years though. Maybe some day, and then I will be able to go back to Bayreuth.

The Oban-Craignure is a good one to try for a practice run. I did Largs to Cumbrae last month, but that's a landing craft where you just sit in your car for five minutes then drive off again.

They've been saying that for years though. Maybe some day, and then I will be able to go back to Bayreuth.

The Oban-Craignure is a good one to try for a practice run. I did Largs to Cumbrae last month, but that's a landing craft where you just sit in your car for five minutes then drive off again.
Yes, fingers crossed it actually gets the go-ahead.

Thanks, I’m looking forward to it!

The article seems to be talking mainly about a freight ferry this year (not heard that even that is happening), then who knows as regards a passenger ferry later. Sigh.

I went over in August 2010 when my Golf was new, and I didn't think it was a good business model. At first I hesitated because the price seemed extortionate, and started looking at flights. But then I thought, add up all the flights, and then hire a car in Bayreuth, it's not going to be much cheaper (if at all), and think of the convenience and the lack of luggage restrictions, and you want to take that GTi to Germany, don't you? I went back to the booking page for the ferry and refreshed it, and the new page came up with all my details still there but about a quarter of the price!

I think they had taken so few bookings they felt they had to drop the price, but what a drop! I was ready to go for it (crying a bit) at the original price, and suddenly found myself with the bargain of the century. But the overnight accommodation on the ferry was poor. You could only book a four-berth cabin, and if you were alone you still had to pay for the four berths. They were trumpeting about how you wouldn't have to share a cabin with a stranger, but I'd happily have done that to pay a single-berth price. So I took my lilo with me, and a sleeping bag, and found a corner of the seating area to sleep on. One or two other people had done similar, but most were trying to sleep in the uncomfortable seats.

Here's Prospero on the car deck.

1688840636448.png

I would certainly have been prepared to pay more than the price I eventually paid, and to pay for a single berth in a shared cabin, so they definitely missed a couple of tricks.

While I was in Bayreuth I spoke to a friend on the phone who told me that they were discontinuing passenger services on the route. I was quite upset, because I had hoped to go back. Then I believe they stopped the freight service in 2018.

I suppose Newcastle to Amsterdam is a possibility. (ETA. Having looked at the prices, maybe not, after all.)

Last edited:
I’ll bet you’re glad you delayed making that final booking upon seeing the updated price when refreshing the page!

As you said, the convenience of having a car in terms of freedom to roam at will and the ability to carry everything you could possibly need for the trip makes a ferry crossing all the more appealing. However, it must be hard for those companies to compete with budget airlines such as Easyjet and Jet2.

Thank you for sharing the photo of Prospero. Is it typical for the car ferry not to have parking bays marked out in white lines? I’d have thought to make sure to utilize all the available space they would require such bays.

As I recall, there was some sort of marking, but I can't remember how it worked. I just remember being pleased to get that space so close to the entrance to the passenger accommodation. I had the same space both ways!

I was gobsmacked when I saw the price. It had been several weeks since I'd first checked the crossing, when I decided to pay up after all. Talk about a shock!

The price for the Newcastle to Ijmuiden crossing is ridiculous. The fare itself comes to less than £500 return, which I would pay, but then they add on compulsory cabins, and it's the same sort of deal - if you're travelling alone you have to book a 2-berth cabin and pay for both berths. It more than doubles the price. They don't even seem to have a reclining chair option at all. I'd rather drive to the Eurotunnel than pay that.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back