MG4 Android auto not responding or hearing my voice

AdamMGEV

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
So on my MG5 android auto worked fine. I could press the button, speak and it typed out the message, called people etc. On my MG4 I can hold down the speak button... it will hear me to say play music... but if it reads out a message or asks me which track etc.... basically if I need to respond she doesn't hear me (no wife jokes please)... if I press the talk button again she just starts again so I can respond to anything.

Anyone else had this issue? I don't think its my phone as it used to work on the MG5. I've not had the android update yet, so not sure if that would help.

I'll have to try that next time I use the car - basic AA functionality works fine for me, but I've not tried doing anything like sending a text.

FWIW I have R13 software without the AA pre-production message.

I'm going to start this thread up again.
Android auto works great, few disconnections here and there but am using a well used lead.
I do have an intermittent problem with voice commands though.
I can "ok google" and it starts listening, but as soon as I begin to speak it just goes "boop" and stops. Same behaviour on 2 phones.
It has worked a few times though, maybe at the start of the journey I'll set a destination, but then I can't use commands to answer messages or make calls or anything else.

Does this sound familiar?

Edit: I'd also add that the voice commands for car based settings also seem totally useless, perhaps not a coincidence. Linking back to another gripe, why can't it activate every setting in the menus, so I can avoid using the screen. I'm currently using voice commands with a very irritated significant other.

AA listens to me OK, and also reacts to follow-up commands. (i.e. I did a test sending a text whilst driving and it worked as I expected).

AA listens to me OK, and also reacts to follow-up commands. (i.e. I did a test sending a text whilst driving and it worked as I expected).
I'll try to remember to test it before starting journeys, too much of a fiddle once I've remembered it doesn't play nice and the car is moving. Might try a new cable but not sure I want to fight the plastic tray insert again hah.

I am having a lot of problems with Android Auto. 1 out 3 phones connects. Did a factory reset and all connected then switched car off and now only 1 connects

I'm going to start this thread up again.
Android auto works great, few disconnections here and there but am using a well used lead.
I do have an intermittent problem with voice commands though.
I can "ok google" and it starts listening, but as soon as I begin to speak it just goes "boop" and stops. Same behaviour on 2 phones.
It has worked a few times though, maybe at the start of the journey I'll set a destination, but then I can't use commands to answer messages or make calls or anything else.

Does this sound familiar?

Edit: I'd also add that the voice commands for car based settings also seem totally useless, perhaps not a coincidence. Linking back to another gripe, why can't it activate every setting in the menus, so I can avoid using the screen. I'm currently using voice commands with a very irritated significant other.
I have this issue, wonder if it specific to the a version of infotainment software, or maybe Trophy as it works for Siteguru he has an SE

I have this issue, wonder if it specific to the a version of infotainment software, or maybe Trophy as it works for Siteguru he has an SE
Yeah I have the trophy.

I played with it a bit earlier, holding the steering wheel voice button would work, pressing the mic button on the screen would work, but saying "ok Google" did not. It even did another weird thing where parts of the screen would go black and the little bar didn't pop up.
I couldn't replicate the problem as it was before. 🤷

I have a Trophy, and also have issues with the car assistant hearing me, whether it’s the MG assistant or Siri via CarPlay. The shortcuts to start the assistants work just fine; they appear and wait for my command but when I speak it doesn’t hear me, & then it times out from silence

Weirdly I’ve had this work before, and I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t use my voice anymore knowing I’ll need a software update first. Shame really because I use hands free siri quite a lot to pick new music and/or reply to messages whilst driving

First ever post. I have the trophy and experience the same issue when moving. Somedays it works once and then stops. I swear it's a bug. It's as if the car is interpreting the voice as a keyboard and won't allow it while moving. When the car is stationary it works great.

First ever post. I have the trophy and experience the same issue when moving. Somedays it works once and then stops. I swear it's a bug. It's as if the car is interpreting the voice as a keyboard and won't allow it while moving. When the car is stationary it works great.
Nice! I hadn't thought about testing stationary Vs stopped. I'd only presumed it stopped working and stayed broken.

I have exactly the same problem on a mg zs ev.

As soon as the car is moving , voice command is not listening ( dots stay still) .
I had tried with two différents phone one of them is latest 8.8.6 with coolwalked forced using root and unroot. The other one a recent android 12 with a fresh install ( so without coolwalk).
The car has been factory reset today and run R22 update.
The last time it happened in novembre it solved by it self after trying another mg at dealershop ( it failed like mine ) but worked again on the way home)

Things starts to failed again after i upgrade my android auto version and clear android auto cache and data.

Is this a safety feature to prevent from talking to your car while drivin ?

I have exactly the same problem on a mg zs ev.

As soon as the car is moving , voice command is not listening ( dots stay still) .
I had tried with two différents phone one of them is latest 8.8.6 with coolwalked forced using root and unroot. The other one a recent android 12 with a fresh install ( so without coolwalk).
The car has been factory reset today and run R22 update.
The last time it happened in novembre it solved by it self after trying another mg at dealershop ( it failed like mine ) but worked again on the way home)

Things starts to failed again after i upgrade my android auto version and clear android auto cache and data.

Is this a safety feature to prevent from talking to your car while drivin ?
Same issue with me recently too. I'm using a Pixel 7 pro and doesn't matter if I use wired or wireless (via an adapter).

Did someone has no problem at all and can give us setting ? ( Phone android version , car version etc..)

I wouldnt be so disapointed if it had never worked.
I am working in IT mobile app and i really have no clue where it can came from.

I will root again my mobile and try Android auto tweaker crazy options.

I wouldnt be so disapointed if it had never worked.
I am working in IT mobile app and i really have no clue where it can came from.

I will root again my mobile and try Android auto tweaker crazy options.
It would be really helpful to know your findings, or at least if it is AA app or firmware related?

Mine seems to work OK (SE SR)

AA = 8.6.625054-release (not Coolwalk)
Car = 1100R13 Infotainment version

I just tried again with my son's phone ( meizu 9 ) by installing the available AA 8.6.625054 keep everything as default. ( autorize and validate )

During first setup , the phone told me i forgot to activate the handbrake ( So i pressed parking)

Voice command is working but not when the car is moving ! ( when it would be the most usefull )

Pressing the brake until 0 Kmh and the voice command is working again like it should.

With my "rooted again" phone, I clean Android auto ( it goes back to non coolwalk )

I tried a lot of AA tweak like disable telemetry, reduce the usb speed and so...
and reactivate coolwalk of course.

3 phones with different setup... it must be the car system !

Siteguru did you try to drive with your car or use voice command only parked ?

Siteguru did you try to drive with your car or use voice command only parked ?
At the risk of sounding irate, and wishing people would actually read a (one page) thread .... 🙄

Nice! I hadn't thought about testing stationary Vs stopped. I'd only presumed it stopped working and stayed broken.
So I thought mine had been fixed with the software update as it works when parked but not when moving. However it did once on my drive today, I think its either random or its when she asks me the question first time... I can reply... but multiple or if i hold down the button and ask something she doesnt hear it. When stationary it works all the time, driving doesnt.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back