MG4 - batteries dies at -40c

To save everybody watching a Norwegian language video they can’t understand….. basically the MG 12v battery collapsed to 3v. So nothing works. NOT THE MAIN EV BATTERY the plain jane 12v lead acid one.

So the take for most UK members is :

We dont get much past -10 here let alone -40C so we dont need another on the list of worries.

To save everybody watching a Norwegian language video they can’t understand….. basically the MG 12v battery collapsed to 3v. So nothing works. NOT THE MAIN EV BATTERY the plain Jane 12v lead acid one.

So the take for most UK members is :

We don't get much past -10 here let alone -40C so we don't need another on the list of worries.
I agree and it's not just the MG4 that wouldn't start. Any vehicle with a 12v battery wouldn't start either.

Not often its -30 to -40c where I live in norway but if its get so cold its only to put a charger to the 12-volts battery overnight to keep the battery alive.. (or use the V2L if you are a place with no power outlet) :D The battery on mg4 and kia niro died actually.. could not recharge it and they had to buy a new one. but it was interesting to watch that the Renault Megane e-tech actuallly had more volt in the battery after 24h in -40c :) Looks like that car have a better function to charge the 12-volt batttery when its needed from the main battery.
And that is perhaps somthing that can be updated in a fix later from MG ?

Is it possible to just swap them out??🤷‍♂️
Yes.

But if it’s anything like the leisure battery in my motorhome

Lead £100
Lithium £500

Xcyber- yes you wouldnt think it impossible for the main battery to charge the 12v to stop it dying.

Unless the -40c kills it and its a losing battle

Would the 12v BMS (or charging system) be suitable for a Lithium 12v ?

Would the 12v BMS (or charging system) be suitable for a Lithium 12v ?

Most of the 12v Lithium car batteries are designed to be drop in replacements, the biggest issue is you can't jump them with another battery like you can or should I say the manufacturers strongly advise against it by stating "do not parallel batteries" and you can't use traditional battery chargers, and don't take the voltage above 14.2v else you'll damage the cells, where as a lead acid can float at 14.8v easily which is generally the highest output from an alternator.

Most of the 12v Lithium car batteries are designed to be drop in replacements, the biggest issue is you can't jump them with another battery like you can or should I say the manufacturers strongly advise against it by stating "do not parallel batteries" and you can't use traditional battery chargers, and don't take the voltage above 14.2v else you'll damage the cells, where as a lead acid can float at 14.8v easily which is generally the highest output from an alternator.
Hmm. So how does the vehicle alternator “know” that someone put a lithium in? And many alternators can go to 14.4-14.8 volts.

Its my understanding that the battery has charge management built into it.

MG4 - batteries dies at -40c !!!​

I think most things would die at -40c🥶🥶
Yeah. Im in the electronics industry and typically domestic spec is 0-70c. Industrial is -20 to 85c.

Working at -40c is a high end military spec

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel