MG4 Charging Cable Locked on & Now Awaiting A New Charge Port

ChrisE3

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
So I bought an MG4 - One week in the cable locked to the car whilst charging (as normal) but it wouldn't release when finished. 40 minutes of pressing buttons on the MG app and in the car failed to solve it and given it was pouring down I left the car overnight and went home to read the manual.
Turns out there's an emergency release cable inside the rear boot behind a small panel that simply pops off with a screwdriver and hey presto solved the next morning ....or so I thought.
The car then wouldn't take any charge at either the station or at home so a call to the AA - who couldn't help either and the car has now been sat at the dealers for two weeks as they await parts. The garage told me the part wouldn't be in the UK until 3rd November and when I complained said that they could take it from a new car - nothing heard since.
My first venture into electric car ownership and to say that I'm raging would be an understatement.

So I bought an MG4 - One week in the cable locked to the car whilst charging (as normal) but it wouldn't release when finished. 40 minutes of pressing buttons on the MG app and in the car failed to solve it and given it was pouring down I left the car overnight and went home to read the manual.
Turns out there's an emergency release cable inside the rear boot behind a small panel that simply pops off with a screwdriver and hey presto solved the next morning ....or so I thought.
The car then wouldn't take any charge at either the station or at home so a call to the AA - who couldn't help either and the car has now been sat at the dealers for two weeks as they await parts. The garage told me the part wouldn't be in the UK until 3rd November and when I complained said that they could take it from a new car - nothing heard since.
My first venture into electric car ownership and to say that I'm raging would be an understatement.
This is my first foray into the world of EV ownership also.

the scenario you describe, is my worst nightmare. I feel for you.

here’s hoping this will be a small hiccup, and your bad luck, is just that, bad luck.

If you ever get a chance to post a pic of the emergency charge cable release, it would be much appreciated 👍🍺

This is my first foray into the world of EV ownership also.

the scenario you describe, is my worst nightmare. I feel for you.

here’s hoping this will be a small hiccup, and your bad luck, is just that, bad luck.

If you ever get a chance to post a pic of the emergency charge cable release, it would be much appreciated 👍🍺
No problem Harry. I'll attach the page from the online manual - It was only page 169 so I should have stayed in the rain a little longer to find it....
It's inside the rear boot on the same side as the charging socket - so that you can pull the release and the charge cable at the same time.
Chris
312215885_5429560777099317_805123787885447113_n.jpg

Were you using an official MG charging cable?

Morning Ian
Yes that's the only cable that was supplied by MG with this vehicle.
I was using the same Charge Place Scotland (Scottish Government) charger that I had used earlier in the week to charge up the car. Their app also shows the time that I ended the charge when I went to collect the vehicle that night.

To reassure all this scenario is not unique to the MG4 (Look at any other EV forum). Hopefully a reducing problem across the EV space.
PS Had similar problems but thankfully never had to use the boot release.

Alan
Yes they gave me an MG3...
🤣😂🤣 you poor bugger!

The dealership that supplied my car also does accident repair for our firm….My wife pranged her brand new Kia Niro Hybrid (on the day of picking it up. -minor scratch to the front bumper). Anyway, long story short….took my wife’s car in for repair, gave me a bag of bollox MG3 as a curtesy car for a couple of days.

I thought my C-HR screamed a lot till I tried getting to 70 in that little gem of a POS 😁

🤣😂🤣 you poor bugger!

The dealership that supplied my car also does accident repair for our firm….My wife pranged her brand new Kia Niro Hybrid (on the day of picking it up. -minor scratch to the front bumper). Anyway, long story short….took my wife’s car in for repair, gave me a bag of bollox MG3 as a curtesy car for a couple of days.

I thought my C-HR screamed a lot till I tried getting to 70 in that little gem of a POS 😁
Harry
I spent nearly £30k of my hard earned money on a state of the art, high tech, economical vehicle....and ended up with an MG3....
No communication from the dealership this week at all.
Absolutely and completely gutted by it all.

Harry
I spent nearly £30k of my hard earned money on a state of the art, high tech, economical vehicle....and ended up with an MG3....
Sad to learn Chris.

I am generally fortunate enough (alas unfortunate in many cases) to be an early adopter of many things over the last 10 or so years.

I hope, in a few weeks time, the issues you have had will fade in to rear gunnels of your memory and you will be able to enjoy this car, all for the right reasons.

I have the Oil issue currently, and maybe a bit of ‘ostrich syndrome’ on my part, I am using the car as if nowt has happened.

This could be a good thing, or a bad thing, time will tell I guess.

My car will need to go back to the dealer when they ask for it, when they know what they are supposed to do about it. Guess the pixies and elves at MG China need to get a handle on this very shortly, as my dealership are in the dark as to what to do.

I can only reiterate, my experience of the MG3 is utter garbage and i do feel for you having that bag of spanner’s (a term I used when handing back the car to MG Lincoln - Charles Warner ).

I can only reiterate, my experience of the MG3 is utter garbage and i do feel for you having that bag of spanner’s (a term I used when handing back the car to MG Lincoln - Charles Warner ).
This made me laugh. Two weeks ago when my MG4 went in for the oil leak they gave me an MG3 loan car. It is certainly one of the worst cars I've driven in a long time. "Bag of bollox" - your erudite review sums it up perfectly. Fortunately for me I had it for 12 hours and 40 miles when the engine management light came on saying to stop the car. This in a car with 4k miles on the clock. It was a blessed relief, they swapped it for a Nissan.

Harry
This is my concern getting a car that I then lose to garage end up paying for something I don't have. As some members have experienced no courtesy offered to replace it, at least you got one, sort off

Sad to learn Chris.

I am generally fortunate enough (alas unfortunate in many cases) to be an early adopter of many things over the last 10 or so years.

I hope, in a few weeks time, the issues you have had will fade in to rear gunnels of your memory and you will be able to enjoy this car, all for the right reasons.

I have the Oil issue currently, and maybe a bit of ‘ostrich syndrome’ on my part, I am using the car as if nowt has happened.

This could be a good thing, or a bad thing, time will tell I guess.

My car will need to go back to the dealer when they ask for it, when they know what they are supposed to do about it. Guess the pixies and elves at MG China need to get a handle on this very shortly, as my dealership are in the dark as to what to do.

Thanks Harry

The MG3 coughed and spluttered as I reversed it into the drive last night so fingers crossed that it starts next time I need it - but I'm not overly optimistic on that TBH. The panel alignments are woeful and the mechanical parts seem to be from the 1980's.

I really don't understand why MG wouldn't have spare parts or technical knowledge in the UK for a brand new launch vehicle. Why would any business be so gung ho as to think that they can just release a product without any Plan B. I fail completely to understand that?

Why would you run the risk of undoing all of the initial good press with unhappy customers - I'm wondering if they are planning to rebadge mine as the "1 in 4" - being the number of weeks that I have owned it and actually been able to drive it....

Thanks Harry

The MG3 coughed and spluttered as I reversed it into the drive last night so fingers crossed that it starts next time I need it - but I'm not overly optimistic on that TBH. The panel alignments are woeful and the mechanical parts seem to be from the 1980's.

I really don't understand why MG wouldn't have spare parts or technical knowledge in the UK for a brand new launch vehicle. Why would any business be so gung ho as to think that they can just release a product without any Plan B. I fail completely to understand that?

Why would you run the risk of undoing all of the initial good press with unhappy customers - I'm wondering if they are planning to rebadge mine as the "1 in 4" - being the number of weeks that I have owned it and actually been able to drive it....
100% agree, I have said in previous threads that they had the chance to be a bit of a game changer with this car, but it's like they have rushed it to the market without the proper training to sales staff and having the correct support network in place (spare parts, fixes for obvious software issues and the ability to answer questions)
I spoke to a Renault sales man about the Mégane he told me they have delayed the deliveries of that car as a software issue had been identified when it was changed for the UK market. Renault decided to do the work required before delivery rather than recall the cars from customers. Seems common sense to me. Obviously a car salesman so you never know

Sorry to hear about your flap failure, these things can sadly happen. With electronic components they have a “bathtub effect” failure rate - e.g if an electronic component is going to fail it will most likely happen ether when it’s brand new or after its design life.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back