MG4 Charging Cables

vini

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
placed my order yesterday, I was offered as an extra, mats and type2 cable for £255. I declined the cable but said I would take the mats, still bit pricey at £99 I thought

that made the cable cost £156, and I'm pretty sure I can get one cheaper elsewhere. Ignoring the mats :), have I made the right decision?

Last edited:
placed my order yesterday, I was offered as an extra, mats and type2 cable for £255. I declined the cable but said I would take the mats, still bit pricey at £99 I thought

that made the cable cost £156, and I'm pretty sure I can get one cheaper elsewhere. Ignoring the mats :), have I made the right decision?and is a type2 to type2 cable the one to buy, or a type2 to CCS a better choice?
Looking online, they seem to be around the £200 mark....

There would be little benefit in having the type 2/CCS cable as the car is limited in what it can receive from the wall box/onboard charger - unless you install a High Powered Charger from ABB... 😀

You can not buy a type2 to ccs.
You need a 32A single phase type2 to type2 cable.
There are many available and in different lengths.

You can not buy a type2 to ccs.
You need a 32A single phase type2 to type2 cable.
There are many available and in different lengths.
Thanks I was sure I’d seen some but obviously not - must have got confused looking so much 😀

Not sure how good they are but there are a number of type 2 to type 2 on sale around £100 if you Google cheap ev cables

6611073A-2644-41A3-8A76-4DD25D1ECE66.png

Looking online, they seem to be around the £200 mark....

There would be little benefit in having the type 2/CCS cable as the car is limited in what it can receive from the wall box/onboard charger - unless you install a High Powered Charger from ABB... 😀

I'd prefer a supplier I trust. These guys provided me with a granny lead for my Zoe for a lot less than the £500 Renault wanted for the "official" one!

Last edited:
I’m loving this forum, I’m totally new to the ev world so I have many - often silly I’m sure - questions, but so far people have been kind and very very helpful, it’s great 😀

Thanks Wonk, you’ve been a great help! I would of course have preferred to go with the MG product but if I can get a cable nearly £70 cheaper that’s reliable then I’d be happy with that

Cheers

Not having (yet) had an EV, so not ever having had to charge (public or otherwise) ... do public chargers have cables attached or do you need your own cable?

(I do have my own Wallbox Pulsar Plus at home which has a Type 2 plug fitted on the end of a 7m cable).

If 4m are sufficient for you, Tesla arguably has the best deal on Type 2 Cables.
3 Phase 32A from Mennekes or Defa (I got a Mennekes) for £85

Edit: I just read

"In order to be eligible to purchase this product, you must be a Tesla vehicle owner."

Is this true? Sorry if so, it isn't on the continent where I bought this very cable (for €99).

Even so, it may still be worth asking friends / acquaintances that drive a Tesla, since it retails for more than double that everywhere else as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Not having (yet) had an EV, so not ever having had to charge (public or otherwise) ... do public chargers have cables attached or do you need your own cable?

(I do have my own Wallbox Pulsar Plus at home which has a Type 2 plug fitted on the end of a 7m cable).
I'm in the same boat so head is buzzing with new info. This forum is great support though. As i understand things most fast chargers at places like supermarkets require you to have your own type 2 cable. They are sometimes free but much slower charge. All rapid chargers are tethered so you wont need one for those. Plug and pay! Im sure others can correct or back me up if thats about right 🤞

most fast chargers at places like supermarkets

I don't think AC Chargers are considered "fast", or are they in UK?

I wrote a long segment explaining the difference of Type 2 cables, but deleted it again - I guess there are plenty of articles you can google.

Bottom line is:
  • Yes, for public chargers you should have a Type 2 cable in your car
  • it should support 32A.

For the SR / SE Model you could get away with a single phase 32A (aka 7.2kW) Cable.
The Trophy may or may not support three phases (I've read rumours it won't in the UK, in the EU the 'Comfort' and 'Luxury' Models were temporarily advertised with a three phase 11kW Charger), so if I was getting an LR or Trophy, I'd definitely wait for confirmation or go for a three phase 32A cable (22kW) anyway. It's more expensive and a bit thicker, but also good to be future proof / for other vehicles.

But don't get tempted to go for a three-phase 16A (11kW) cable, as that would only allow 3,7kW when charging on a single phase.

Depending on the parking situation at your chargers, longer is better.

A 4m cable should be enough if you can park with the back of the car towards the charger. If you're in a situation where the charger is in front of your car, you need to cover the length of the car as well and would be better off with a 7.5m+ Lead. It may also save you if a charging spot is blocked by a petrol car and you want to park in the spot next to it. Not sure if that's a common situation where you are.

If 4m are sufficient for you, Tesla arguably has the best deal on Type 2 Cables.

"In order to be eligible to purchase this product, you must be a Tesla vehicle owner."

Is this true? Sorry if so, it isn't on the continent where I bought this very cable (for €99).

Even so, it may still be worth asking friends / acquaintances that drive a Tesla, since it retails for more than double that everywhere else as far as I can tell.
3 phase total waste of money for an MG, it can only take 1 phase.

I’m loving this forum, I’m totally new to the ev world so I have many - often silly I’m sure - questions, but so far people have been kind and very very helpful, it’s great 😀

Thanks Wonk, you’ve been a great help! I would of course have preferred to go with the MG product but if I can get a cable nearly £70 cheaper that’s reliable then I’d be happy with that

Cheers
Just make sure you get 32amp type 2 cable any length you want.

thanks, I do have a Tesla owner friend, I'll have a word...

many thanks, cable ordered, via Tesla buddy - much appreciated!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back