MG4 Charging Cables

Hi. Can anyone recommend a good 3 pin charger for use when at holiday cottages etc? My MG4 is being supplied with the type2 to type2.
You can use any 3 pin UK to type 2 charger , but if I were you I would go for a mid range price with a decent quality cable and not the cheapest . Price range from just over £100 to about £400.

Well, you can tell I'm thick, I thought when you had a home charger installed, it came with the required cable. You got that nice box and the cable.
Idiot question maybe, but if not, that's even more money to spend in the initial outlay
:unsure:
It depends. If you get a tethered wall box, it'll come with the cable. If it's untethered, it won't. Advantages/disadvantages to both.

there must be a few mg4's on the road now perhaps? I would be interested to know who got what cable wise when they picked their cars up?

1. no cable provided free
  2. granny cable at no extra cost
  3. type2 type2 cable at no extra cost
  4. both granny cable and type2 type2 cable at no extra cost
  5. had to pay for a cable
a poll might be nice but I have no idea how to set one up, if anyone fancies putting one in that might be nice? feel free to change the wording or add options
I got a type 2. With the surprise 11kW charging I might replace it with a 3 phase to capitalise on the abundance of free or cheap CPS 11/22 posts.

I got a type 2. With the surprise 11kW charging I might replace it with a 3 phase to capitalise on the abundance of free or cheap CPS 11/22 posts.
That's what I did. Managed to buy a Mercedes one on eBay for £70 + postage (seemed brand new). Get a solid 10 kW from CPS and Tesco PodPoint chargers

Well, you can tell I'm thick, I thought when you had a home charger installed, it came with the required cable. You got that nice box and the cable.
Idiot question maybe, but if not, that's even more money to spend in the initial outlay
Tethered (cable attached) and untethered (no cable)?

It depends whether it's a tethered charger or not.

It depends if it's a tethered charger or untethered.

Edit: Oops! Double posting

That's what I did. Managed to buy a Mercedes one on eBay for £70 + postage (seemed brand new). Get a solid 10 kW from CPS and Tesco PodPoint chargers
Be warned that Tesco PodPoints will start wanting payment from Nov 1st.

there must be a few mg4's on the road now perhaps? I would be interested to know who got what cable wise when they picked their cars up?

1. no cable provided free
  2. granny cable at no extra cost
  3. type2 type2 cable at no extra cost
  4. both granny cable and type2 type2 cable at no extra cost
  5. had to pay for a cable
a poll might be nice but I have no idea how to set one up, if anyone fancies putting one in that might be nice? feel free to change the wording or add options

picked up my new MG4 last week

Granny cable provided free
offered a Type 2 - Type 2 cable for £250 - declined as its cheaper elsewhere

picked up my new MG4 last week

Granny cable provided free
offered a Type 2 - Type 2 cable for £250 - declined as its cheaper elsewhere
hope you're enjoying your new car

cheapest I found was a 4 metre Tesla type 2 type 2 cable for £85. it's heavy duty and the 4 metre length is not a problem for me. at the time I had to know a Tesla owner so it could be bought through their account, but I believe non Tesla owners can set up a Tesla account now. there may of course be easier and cheaper ways to get one, hope you get sorted

Macdonsj, does your new Trophy come with L2 and L3 connectors in place in the car charger socket? The reason I ask is some LR owners are saying they are no longer provided to allow 11kwh charging as an option

Macdonsj, does your new Trophy come with L2 and L3 connectors in place in the car charger socket? The reason I ask is some LR owners are saying they are no longer provided to allow 11kwh charging as an option

i'll have a look tonight when i charge

as a newbie
on this topic - can i assume that these cables are fairly similar when in the same price bracket
seen some at just over £100 and the evonestop version (which was recommend earlier) is £125

is there much difference in them or any to avoid?

Macdonsj, there are a number of reputable cable providers online such as ev extras, ev cable shop to name but two. First what length do you need? If you don't have L2 and L3 connectors then you need 32a single phase, if you do have L2 and L3 it may be worth buying a 32a 3 phase to get 11kw charging if you some charging stations near you that can provide that rating. Avoid some ebay options imo and deal direct with dealers.

I have used this company twice to get 7.5 and 10m leads and they are 👍

Macdonsj, there are a number of reputable cable providers online such as ev extras, ev cable shop to name but two. First what length do you need? If you don't have L2 and L3 connectors then you need 32a single phase, if you do have L2 and L3 it may be worth buying a 32a 3 phase to get 11kw charging if you some charging stations near you that can provide that rating. Avoid some ebay options imo and deal direct with dealers.

I have used this company twice to get 7.5 and 10m leads and they are 👍

my plan is to get this cable in order to take advantage of free charging until i get my home unit installed (and get an untethered point there) so the 3 phase option isn't something i would explore

5m should suffice as i have a decent sized front of house drive area that i can position the vehicle accordingly

Just checked mine (delivered last Monday). All 7 pins present and correct.

my plan is to get this cable in order to take advantage of free charging until i get my home unit installed (and get an untethered point there) so the 3 phase option isn't something i would explore

5m should suffice as i have a decent sized front of house drive area that i can position the vehicle accordingly
Have a look at the top of this forum, classified ads. There is a single phase cable on there for £90 delivered

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back