MG4 dead - First edition Trophy

Camspeed

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Yesterday I parked up at home and plugged in the charger. I locked the car and all seemed ok. Then 2 hours later I got an App alarm saying the air bag sensor and power steering were faulty. Id had the air bag one before.
Looking out the window I could see the rear lights were flashing......never seen that before. I assumed it was something to do with the alarm.

So I went out to it and the remote didnt work, the doors were unlocked and the car is totally dead. It wont communicate with the app so I assume the 12v battery is dead.

Anyone experianced this?

Did you take it to your dealer when you had the airbag warning go off before?
I beleive some cars have a fault on the airbag sensor and what you describe with the lights flashing and the doors unlocked it looks like the car thinks its been in a crash and the airbag has activated.

I beleive some cars have a fault on the airbag sensor and what you describe with the lights flashing and the doors unlocked it looks like the car thinks its been in a crash and the airbag has activated.
Good shout, it was a while ago now but I'm sure we had a member that actually saw a bit of the airbag sticking out and had dust in the car.
Similar scenario with the warnings

no it was whist I was away....so not had chance. It needs to go to the dealer as the list of prblems is growing.

1. Radio screen goes blank sometimes
2. DAB screen scrolls and needs resetting weekly
3. Some sort of attension camera system.....always showed a fault
4. Door lock buttons wont work.
5. It thinks its a different year sometimes
6. I can turn off the lane assist and it stays off because its trying to kill me when on
7. Range struggles to do 200 miles in summer
8. Auto headlights way too sensative and on every day
9. Drivers seat squeaks
10. Car dead on my drive!

You know what......ive ignored all of this as ive put it down to a cheap chinese car but when I write it down........time I sold it!!!! 7k miles on the clock.......wtf!

Ive put a jumper on it and its running........why the 12v battery died I dont understand.

Last edited:
Ive put a jumper on it and its running........why the 12v battery died I dont understand.
Cars, even electric ones, are pretty complex and unlike aeroplanes aren't built with triple redundancy so random weirdness happens. The battery on my old Astra used to discharge itself overnight at random every few months, even after it was swapped out, and nobody could ever work out why. A mechanic said the only solution they could think of would be to strip out all the wires and put them back in but that would not be a good use of his time or my money. The solution was just to keep one of those battery jump starters in the boot - worked every time to bring it back to life.

I’m starting to worry about picking my MG4 SE SR due End Oct I’m thinking changing my mind tbh sounds a bit scary

On this forum you will see lots of problems because it is people seeking help. You will not often see people posting that their car is working perfectly. So far my Trophy from April 23 has not failed me. Yes LKA is not perfect and the autolights not sensitive enough to lights but it does what I want it to do. I am satisfied with it but that won't stop me from seeking software upgrades at its first service. If you have a good dealer you should be ok. Follow the pickup checklist.

The auto lights can be dangerous since they can come on under a bridge and give other motorists the impression you have 'flashed' them. I turn the auto lights off when driving during the day.

I’m starting to worry about picking my MG4 SE SR due End Oct I’m thinking changing my mind tbh sounds a bit scary

I think you’re right to be concerned.
As I said in another post where a prospective owner is concerned, I genuinely think your ‘risk of issue ’ or ‘probability of problem’ is higher with an MG than other cars.
I’ve seen far more common issues on this forum than any other car forum I’ve been a member of in decades, and that includes so-called unreliable makes like Alfa Romeo.

Normally I’d be drooling over the X-power and all that power for less money than the competition, but I wouldn’t touch one with a 40’ pole.
That says a lot.

But if you do go for it, just don’t give MG any slack.
If you note any issues, act on them quickly while rejection is easy.
Don’t excuse them as foibles or try and lessen them by saying ‘well it’s a budget EV’
Act.

Or just prise off the cover on the light sensor. Works perfectly then.

That’s the spirit.
A visible hole in the dash with a chip on show.
Brilliant.

As I said in another post where a prospective owner is concerned, I genuinely think your ‘risk of issue ’ or ‘probability of problem’ is higher with an MG than other cars.
I’ve seen far more common issues on this forum than any other car forum I’ve been a member of in decades, and that includes so-called unreliable makes like Alfa Romeo.

Normally I’d be drooling over the X-power and all that power for less money than the competition, but I wouldn’t touch one with a 40’ pole.
That says a lot.

Don’t excuse them as foibles or try and lessen them by saying ‘well it’s a budget EV’
Act.
Thankyou for that. 😊
My concern really is the one I’m getting is in the showroom - maybe an earlier edition with all the faults still there if that makes sense. Idk I drive 8 hours up and down northern motorways yday and didn’t see one MG4 like 7 hours of driving.

no it was whist I was away....so not had chance. It needs to go to the dealer as the list of prblems is growing.

1. Radio screen goes blank sometimes
2. DAB screen scrolls and needs resetting weekly
3. Some sort of attension camera system.....always showed a fault
4. Door lock buttons wont work.
5. It thinks its a different year sometimes
6. I can turn off the lane assist and it stays off because its trying to kill me when on
7. Range struggles to do 200 miles in summer
8. Auto headlights way too sensative and on every day
9. Drivers seat squeaks
10. Car dead on my drive!

You know what......ive ignored all of this as ive put it down to a cheap chinese car but when I write it down........time I sold it!!!! 7k miles on the clock.......wtf!

Mine is in next week for a 'leaking' 12v battery - Cant park up for more than 48 hours without it being flat.. Will report back ...

It is a great car, mine has been faultless bar the known software niggles. Reading forums always magnifies problems due to the Negativity Bias effect. Most happy drivers don't constantly report how happy they are whereas those with significant faults almost always post about them.

The main thing is to get a good dealer. All cars can have faults, it is how they are dealt with that matters. A good dealer will work with you to sort problems out.

It is a great car, mine has been faultless bar the known software niggles. Reading forums always magnifies problems due to the Negativity Bias effect. Most happy drivers don't constantly report how happy they are whereas those with significant faults almost always post about them.

The main thing is to get a good dealer. All cars can have faults, it is how they are dealt with that matters. A good dealer will work with you to sort problems out.
You have to admit when you have a trawl through other EV forums compared to this one they are a bit of a non event.
Not saying there aren't faults and my own car had one but the "foibles" and "work arounds" in here are a lot more common.
As are the quality control issues and reports of frequent poor customer care
You shouldnt need to pull fuses or sensor covers off, put tape over things, fabricate your own sensor covers or have pre flight check lists.

It's a shame because the car really does drive well

I don't have to admit anything, you are not interrogating me under a swinging light bulb! 😉

I'm not in the habit of spending time on forums for products I don't own, so I can't comment on that - nor can I necessarily take it as true simply because you keep saying it. I'd want to see a least a proper study done.

When I had several VW group cars there were tons of issues people reported on forums, particularly with poor quality and failures and software problems and tons and tons of dealer complaints. EVs are in general much more reliable than ICE cars, so it is all relative, but this is the first EV I have owned, we'll see how it compares long term with others.

Yes, some people have come up with their own solutions for minor issues, that's to be applauded but they are not at all required - I have none of them on my car and my so called 'pre-flight' is quick and becoming a common experience on many new vehicles because of the NCAP rule changes.

That says a lot.

Act.

That’s the spirit.
A visible hole in the dash with a chip on show.
Brilliant.
I've got to laugh Bowfer, I've only had mine 10 day's and am already considering rejection 🤣🤣 I can honestly say the honeymoon period is at an end.
Today..... a van was delivering my side of the road, I could see right round it and started the manoeuvre....BANG! Car just did and emergency stop.
Made me look like a right ****.
Then It wouldn't bloody move so I was blocking the road. Hugely embarrassed.
I've had all the glitches mentioned throughout the forum and done the reset with the homekey to clear.
LKA disappeared from the menu so I couldn't turn it off!! (Back after another reset) Tomorrow when I go out I will unlock the car, get in, let the car go through it's rigmarole until it says "Hello Chris and Jenny" then I will turn off LKA and see what happens.
I've had it in my truck whereby if you rush the dash start up and drive off you have all sorts of errors.
We will see.
Went into the dealer today to mention glitches and " The Hum"
Honestly Itchy chins and scratched heads is all I got!!! Didn't even want to book it in til they know what "The Hum" is and whether they will do anything about it 🤣🤣🤣 I've got til the 30 day point Haven't I???

It is not a swinging light bulb it is a spot light.

And I expect better of you podcast boy than the sly dig about spending time on forums of products you don't own. (Call it morbid curiosity plus it's busy in here because there is so much stuff acting up, other forums are boring)

also the same NCAP rules apply to all new cars and yet a lot of them actually work as they are intended and aren't dangerous.
Quite surprising that a safety feature that is actually safe, it might catch on😉

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back