MG4 dead - First edition Trophy

I've got to laugh Bowfer, I've only had mine 10 day's and am already considering rejection 🤣🤣 I can honestly say the honeymoon period is at an end.
Today..... a van was delivering my side of the road, I could see right round it and started the manoeuvre....BANG! Car just did and emergency stop.
Made me look like a right ****.
Then It wouldn't bloody move so I was blocking the road. Hugely embarrassed.
I've had all the glitches mentioned throughout the forum and done the reset with the homekey to clear.
LKA disappeared from the menu so I couldn't turn it off!! (Back after another reset) Tomorrow when I go out I will unlock the car, get in, let the car go through it's rigmarole until it says "Hello Chris and Jenny" then I will turn off LKA and see what happens.
I've had it in my truck whereby if you rush the dash start up and drive off you have all sorts of errors.
We will see.
Went into the dealer today to mention glitches and " The Hum"
Honestly Itchy chins and scratched heads is all I got!!! Didn't even want to book it in til they know what "The Hum" is and whether they will do anything about it 🤣🤣🤣 I've got til the 30 day point Haven't I???
Up to 30 days is easy, up to 6 months they need 1 opportunity to fix it, am I right in saying you have an X Power, I genuinely thought they would have worked hard to have it sorted on them

It is not a swinging light bulb it is a spot light.
Ah... the sweet light of truth illuminating our world, so comforting. 😁
And I expect better of you podcast boy than the sly dig about spending time on forums of products you don't own. (Call it morbid curiosity plus it's busy in here because there is so much stuff acting up, other forums are boring)
It was not a dig - I was just being honest that I don't look at other forums so I can't comment.
For the record, I have no problem with you being here, I think you are often very helpful and I have said that before. But I am not the same as you.
also the same NCAP rules apply to all new cars and yet a lot of them actually work as they are intended and aren't dangerous.
Quite surprising that a safety feature that is actually safe, it might catch on😉
What I meant was NCAP rules require a preflight on most new cars, so that's not really a criticism only of MGs. Some cars make it easier to turn stuff off, for sure, but I am not finding it a problem and that's the honest truth. My LKA behaves itself as do the other systems. I still prefer to turn it off but I would on any car.

This is far and away the best car I've ever owned and I've had plenty of new cars from 'proper' makes. Surveys here have consistently indicated that a large percentage of people love their MG4s. Yes, there is a significant minority with problems, granted.

Me too seeing as China have had "The Hum" since the started making them???
Another point I forgot was that the radar cruise can also make you look silly....
I tried it today on the A40, arrow straight road 72mph, bright and clear, set at max distance, 3 bars, (still too short a gap Imho) Despite car in front visually maintaining 70 mph, my car kept slowing and dropping back to about 65mph, then speeding to catch back up before repeating. Had to switch it off.
Makes me look like a **** AGAIN🤣🤣 Sorry forgot to quote post

Last edited:
I've got to laugh Bowfer, I've only had mine 10 day's and am already considering rejection 🤣🤣 I can honestly say the honeymoon period is at an end.
Today..... a van was delivering my side of the road, I could see right round it and started the manoeuvre....BANG! Car just did and emergency stop.
Made me look like a right ****.
Then It wouldn't bloody move so I was blocking the road. Hugely embarrassed.
I've had all the glitches mentioned throughout the forum and done the reset with the homekey to clear.
LKA disappeared from the menu so I couldn't turn it off!! (Back after another reset) Tomorrow when I go out I will unlock the car, get in, let the car go through it's rigmarole until it says "Hello Chris and Jenny" then I will turn off LKA and see what happens.
I've had it in my truck whereby if you rush the dash start up and drive off you have all sorts of errors.
We will see.
Went into the dealer today to mention glitches and " The Hum"
Honestly Itchy chins and scratched heads is all I got!!! Didn't even want to book it in til they know what "The Hum" is and whether they will do anything about it 🤣🤣🤣 I've got til the 30 day point Haven't I???

Yeah at only 10 days rejection should really just be a formality.
It was still ‘relatively’ easy for me past the 30 days, once their one attempt to repair failed.
With hindsight I should have rejected within the easy 30 days, as there were enough faults at that point already to do so.

What I meant was NCAP rules require a preflight on most new cars, so that's not really a criticism only of MGs. Some cars make it easier to turn stuff off, for sure
Again some cars don't need any preflight as everything is safe unobtrusive and works as it was intended.

Again some cars don't need any preflight as everything is safe unobtrusive and works as it was intended.
Don't be silly - LKA is the number one annoyance that people turn off across all brands and I believe you have even said this yourself, many reviewers certainly have. Anything people CHOOSE to turn off (due to defaults they can't change) is pre-flight. I choose to turn some things off, but I don't have to turn anything off, it all works as intended on my vehicle.

The big issue with MGs is getting the right software updates and calibrations so that these systems work properly on every car. That's the bit other manufacturers do a lot better, although even then, some, like VW, took 2 years to crack the software side.

I think MG have at most another year to improve their systems so that the cars behave more consistently. If it goes on much longer than that, they'll have a deserved reputation for problems and deserve a "steer clear" label for their EVs.

The reason I am optimistic is that there have been a steady stream of fixes and improvements on hardware and software in a relatively short time. That tells me there's a solid ability to engineer the car, what needs work is consistency, communication (esp. with their dealers) and attention to the service experience. These are all eminently solvable with needing any great technology, so I assume it is policy that is holding them back. Policies can change overnight and if they are serious with going upmarket (eg with Cyberster), they'll have to.

I think you’re right to be concerned.
As I said in another post where a prospective owner is concerned, I genuinely think your ‘risk of issue ’ or ‘probability of problem’ is higher with an MG than other cars.
I’ve seen far more common issues on this forum than any other car forum I’ve been a member of in decades, and that includes so-called unreliable makes like Alfa Romeo.

Normally I’d be drooling over the X-power and all that power for less money than the competition, but I wouldn’t touch one with a 40’ pole.
That says a lot.

But if you do go for it, just don’t give MG any slack.
If you note any issues, act on them quickly while rejection is easy.
Don’t excuse them as foibles or try and lessen them by saying ‘well it’s a budget EV’
Act.

That’s the spirit.
A visible hole in the dash with a chip on show.
Brilliant.

Actually no. A few quid for a 3D printed sensor cover with an open top and there's no visible hole and no chip on show (other than in the reflection from the inside of the windscreen in certain light conditions).

Put a bit of clear polythene over the open top of the new sensor and you're completely sorted.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back