MG4 efficiency - impossible to run fan without heater on

BugEyed

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
The original Gen 1 Mark 1 Nissan LEAF had a PTC heater rather than the heat pump of most later models. A "feature" of the set up was that it wasn't possible to run the fan without the PTC heater running, regardless of the temperature set on the climate control or outside. So even in say 30C outside temperatures the heater ran if you wanted to have the fan circulate some air. In more UK normal temperatures turning the fan off meant the car misted up.
Fast forward a decade, my MG4 appears to be similar. There's a physical switch that allows me to turn the fan off/on, but once on the PTC heater seems to have a minimum setting of 18C - anything less seems to set the fans on full. So at current seasonal temperatures below 18C I seem to have the options of fan off and misting up or running the PTC heater with associated loss of range.
Has anyone else noticed this?

Yep it’s really annoying

Our EV6 with PTC heater had a heat switch as well as an ac switch so with heat switch off fans fan with just outside air no heating

Helped a lot with range the MG4 mists up so quick if you try running with fan off. Would be great to get a heater disconnect to take away this heat load that’s not needed and just use ambient air

Last edited:
Interesting, I didn't know that the EV6 "only" had a PTC. Interesting that it has a switch - software only I presume?

Interesting, I didn't know that the EV6 "only" had a PTC. Interesting that it has a switch - software only I presume?

All Kia and Hyundai EVs (Heatpump or PTC) have both a Heat switch and a AC Switch, you need the Heat switch on or it olny blows ambient, Confuses the hell out of a lot of new owners coming from ICE who are not used to it and expect heat on demand

dash.jpeg

As for Heat pump on the EV6, its standard on the GTLineS - but optional on the Air and GTLine

This can't be right. Don't you just turn off heat and AC but leave the fans on? I spend at least a 3rd of the year on only fans

You CANT just turn off heat. There is no off switch, you can only lower the temp to reduce the PTC Load, but below 18c and it goes crazy and just sets the blowers on full thinking you want repid cooling

This can't be right. Don't you just turn off heat and AC but leave the fans on? I spend at least a 3rd of the year on only fans

It isn't "right" but it is how it currently works. I'm like you - I run for a large part of the year on ambient only.

For me I'm interested as to how much this contributes to the poor overall economy - certainly the first few miles while the cabin heats to 18C are very poor economy (~2 miles/kWh) which then drags down the rest of any shortish trip.

There is plenty of spare space in the Dropdown Menu Screen, They could easily add an ambient air button in there to disable PTC Heater, as the Climate Screen is a bit clogged up already

View attachment 12718

Interesting that the EV6 has a physical switch.

Back in the day the bodge for the Gen 1 LEAF was a switch to add in a resistor to falsify the cabin temperature such that the PTC switched off. Obviously I hope that MG come up with a software solution along the lines that you suggest but ......

Where are you getting 70% from? Is it the minimum state of health per the MG warranty? (I've not looked. Highly unlikely for the SR version with the LFP battery to be as low as 70% after 7 years - more like 90%+) 120 miles round trip should be easily achieved in the SR version, all year round.

And in a few years time the charging infrastructure will be much improved - in fact you may even have charging facilities at your place of work by then. :)

You CANT just turn off heat. There is no off switch, you can only lower the temp to reduce the PTC Load, but below 18c and it goes crazy and just sets the blowers on full thinking you want repid cooling
Ok. So what if you set the temp to "min" or whatever it's called and then turn down the fans after it goes full speed?

Anything below 18C results in the fans going crazy and the fan control no longer has any effect. As far as I can tell the only way to control them is either to turn the power off to the HVAC on the physical button risking misting up or increase the temperature back to 18C or more hence turning the PTC on.

Any help gratefully received.

A type of heating element.

Taking the car back today I discovered that running the fan at 1 for a while allows you to set the temperature to Lo without the fans going mad. I'm sure I tried this previously without success and no longer have the car to reproduce it on.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back