MG4 ER - serious fault after 7 days

Baroo11

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
Hi

My MG4 ER was delivered 7 days ago. Minor issues from the start - CarPlay not working, can’t bind to app but driving ok.

Last night when leaving work the system error message pops up and says take to a dealership. Then changes to HV Battery shut off. Car won’t move from neutral so can’t drive it. After 30 mins, I was able to drive home with no problems.

Exact same thing happened this morning. Once I could drive it, went straight to a dealership. They said they couldn’t fix it, would need to go to another dealership 15 miles away.

To cut a long story short, the other dealership told me not to drive it and it’s being towed to them tomorrow.

Has anyone else had this issues? At this point I’d like to hand it back but it’s on a 3 year NHS lease.

On your two 'minor' problems. For CarPlay to work you will need a high speed cable. There is a thread on this.
ISmart not binding could be due to multiple problems including servers being down. There are threads on this but make sure the End user licence agreements have been accepted.
All the best with sorting out the more serious problem. It's a long shot but check the 12V battery terminals are tight. Drivers have reported they aren't always tightened after the sea voyage.

You have rights.
If it’s a lemon, speak to the company leasing the car to your employer (NHS?) they will sort you out. Intact I’m pretty certain they want you to call them before you get it towed to the other dealership

You have rights.
If it’s a lemon, speak to the company leasing the car to your employer (NHS?) they will sort you out. Intact I’m pretty certain they want you to call them before you get it towed to the other dealership
I have spent the day on the phone with the NHS Lease team and the 2nd dealership. This is the plan advised by them - call the AA and have it towed. Really hoping it can be sorted quickly. Or that I could get my trusty Kia e-Niro back!

If the fault can’t be rectified you can reject it and they will then have to sort it
I really hope so. It seemed like the supplier was being difficult with my lease company saying it was a problem with my home charger and not a “warranty fault”. Used my charger for 3 years with my previous EV so that theory is clearly wrong.

I am wondering if it’s just a knackered 12v battery. Some of the symptoms you are listing have been seen before.
The fact that waiting 30 minutes helps. And then the next day after a cold night it doesn’t start.
Out of curiosity, any chance you managed to bind the car to ISMART now?

I am wondering if it’s just a knackered 12v battery. Some of the symptoms you are listing have been seen before.
The fact that waiting 30 minutes helps. And then the next day after a cold night it doesn’t start.
Out of curiosity, any chance you managed to bind the car to ISMART now?
I’ve not tried again but will report back!

Hope it’s something simple but not great for a brand new car to have a dodgy battery. It’s only done 120 miles.

Was this the error by any chance? I had this and charging issues on 4 day old trophy LR. Took a bit of complaining and then they did several modules updates after 3 weeks and all was fine since.
20231113_163439.jpg

Check the terminals on the battery (12v) are tight. Some have reported them loose causing random faults not disimilar.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back