Mg4 ev Smart app

jojodie

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi Everyone,

Im hoping someone can help me, im having massive problems with the app when trying to charge the car at home. The charger i have half the time is offline and unable to reach the server but it says i should be able to charge manually. But i have never managed to do it. I open the app and click charge i get the message sending tab come up and it says failed. Im not sure if its the car or the charger thats the problem. I have had to take it to a public charging point and it did work. Just not sure if I'm doing something wrong

Hang on ... if the car charges at a public charge point (and I assume you mean an AC charge point ... 7/11/22kW) then the problem is not the car.

What charge point do you have at home? Is there an app for it?

Its the hive charger. But that says i should be able to charge manually when the server is offline.

Attachments

• D01A3A93-2E11-41EB-99E2-091ACCBBF179.png
    D01A3A93-2E11-41EB-99E2-091ACCBBF179.png
    157.3 KB · Views: 78
Jojodie, Siteguru, forget the app for a moment. In the car menu is there a manual charge/schedule off setting. If so go to manual charge, plug the charger in and it should charge immediately. Let's not get the app involved until we know the basic charge works. If it doesn't 👀 at the charger

I have just removed the charger put it back in gone into the car pressed it on the dash and i just get the connected not charging message. I have switched off the charging schedule just encase it started confusing itself

Attachments

• B38F274E-CAFC-49CB-A834-3BB92D7B1BEB.jpeg
    B38F274E-CAFC-49CB-A834-3BB92D7B1BEB.jpeg
    292.8 KB · Views: 74
Connected not charging normally means plugged in no power or active schedule.
(and you have ensured no schedule exists) and given you say your charger is offline and public is OK it does seem to 👉 to your charger

Did you have a schedule set up on the charger before it went offline? Some chargers hold the schedule on a server not on the charger itself so if it can't communicate? But given the instructions say it should still work offline perhaps it has went faulty hence the offline error. Good luck getting it fixed

I have just removed the charger put it back in gone into the car pressed it on the dash and i just get the connected not charging message. I have switched off the charging schedule just encase it started confusing itself
It seems stopped at 80%, is it long range version or standard range?

Its not stopped at 80% it hasn't started, thats what i finished on when i got home, im on a long trip tomorrow so needed it at 100% for the morning. Good point about the schedule on the hive app its set to a charge from midnight so potentially its stuck until it goes back online and i can’t remove that because its offline. Hive never sent any instructions with the charger. Its just so stressful when you rely on it to work. Thank you

Is there a model number of some kind visible on the charger..paperwork...anything to do a google search...in the meantime can you power down the charger and restart it?

Last edited:
Did you get a granny charge cable (3 pin plug type) with your car? If yes, can you not plug into the mains (at least temporarily) to recharge your car to some extent?

I have reset it twice from the main fuse box. Still offline . Its an alfen-bv charger. I will have to call them tomorrow.

Interesting reading, doesn't help you but

@jojodie I have a hive charger though mine stay's online ok.
I believe that if it is offline so long as it has power it should work in manual charge mode. I.e. plug the lead in light goes green, plug into the car light blue (cyan) communicating followed by dark blue (solid) normal charging, (flashing) load balancing charge at a reduced rate, (alternating blue/cyan) load balancing charging paused.
Red light on charger indicates an error, reboot by powering of at the Matt-e to reboot it.
I was given an Alfen manual, there is a pdf version online here
Not really sure how much that will assist though.

Did you try calling as I think the EV charger helpline maybe manned out of office hours, click through from the app, I called on a Sunday evening and was supprised to get a reply and help. Get through from the hive app click cog top right then help at the bottom of the screen, the click call customer support.

Last edited:
I have a HIVE Matt-e fitted recently but I haven't got my EV yet. My Hive app constantly off line and the EV charger panel never have the white light or any light on. I cannot be sure whether it is working or not even if it plug into a EV.
I live in Bolton. One thing I noticed when I go to Leeds all day, the Hive app EV charger was online all the time till I came home and offline again.
This is my experience with HIVE so far.
I like to hear other people's experience with HIVE.
Thanks.

I have a HIVE Matt-e fitted recently but I haven't got my EV yet. My Hive app constantly off line and the EV charger panel never have the white light or any light on. I cannot be sure whether it is working or not even if it plug into a EV.
I live in Bolton. One thing I noticed when I go to Leeds all day, the Hive app EV charger was online all the time till I came home and offline again.
This is my experience with HIVE so far.
I like to hear other people's experience with HIVE.
Thanks.
My Hive charger works fine, the times I have used it. though I tend to charge mostly at work.
Mobile reception is poor indoors though seems to work ok for the charger to be online whenever I look/need it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back