MG4 Frunk now available

I think frunks / froots are a neat idea but mostly not needed. For them to be truly convenient then they need to be a decent size, properly sealed and an easy bonnet release (ideally remote or sensor) with gas struts to make them convenient.

Most of the time a boot with foldable back seat is more than enough. I suppose for those cramming a family in for the holidays any extra space is gold dust but the MG4 isn't supposed to be a large family car.

€132 plus VAT. Plus shipping. Not sure I will bother. If I really need boot space I put my Type 2 cable under the bonnet anyway. It’s a 5m 3 phase cable so quite heavy and bulky but it fits.
When you say you put your type 2 under the bonnet have you already removed the surplus plastic trim to enable a 'Gap' ?

When you say you put your type 2 under the bonnet have you already removed the surplus plastic trim to enable a 'Gap' ?
No, I simply lift the bonnet lid and spread out the cable on top of the big black plastic cover. I don’t keep my cable in a bag so not sure if you would need to remove the bag to uncoil the cable and spread it out a bit.

You don't even need to take the cable out of the bag. So long as you position it right, and this is not hard to do, you just chuck the cable, in its bag, on top of the plastic tray, and the bonnet will close on it quite easily.

I saw a woman do this in a YouTube video about the car and tried it, and it works.

So all that frunk is going to do for you is give you somewhere to carry your granny cable. How many people carry that all the time? I know I don't.

That is costly for a piece of plastic! I wonder what will be the cost if someone 3d prints it? It shouldn't be that hard to design and print and could cost less than half the listed price.

€132 plus VAT. Plus shipping. Not sure I will bother. If I really need boot space I put my Type 2 cable under the bonnet anyway. It’s a 5m 3 phase cable so quite heavy and bulky but it fits.
Pulling the bonnet release, lifting the bonnet, putting the bonnet prop in place.putting the cables in the tray, holding the bonnet releasing the prop and finally closing the bonnet, ensuring nothing is caught !

Or throw the cable being the drivers seat or in the passenger footwell. 😀👍

That is costly for a piece of plastic! I wonder what will be the cost if someone 3d prints it? It shouldn't be that hard to design and print and could cost less than half the listed price.
Around 1kg of plastic for a 3d printer is around £20, but most commonly avaliable 3d printers are quite limited in the size of objects they can print - Anything larger than 300mm in any dimension it considered tricky, but not impossible

I agree it's expensive for what it is but they've got to recover the time it's taken to design the product and it will be only made in limited numbers.
I think if it was larger and could hold a lot more then the price would be more attractive but that's not possible the way the car is designed.

THAT is costly for a piece of plastic! I wonder what will be the cost if someone 3d prints it? It shouldn't be that hard to design and print and could cost less than half the listed price.
The average consumer, including myself could only dream of having a 3D printer that large, or print with that sort of quality, let alone fathom how many days it would take to print it, or the cost in reels of suitable thermoplastic, cheap PLA won't suffice.

As in everything, copying someone else's time and money spent in research and development shouldn't be hard, but best leaving it to those that would steal someone else's design and also have the equipment to injection mould items.

The real issue is the lack of space in the frunk, thats not the designers fault, the end consumer had to weigh up if something like this produced on a small scale is worth the cost.

Ouch it's a bit expensive, it'll be cheaper sending your frunk luggage ahead in an Uber. If they added significant storage I'd maybe buy it if it was more like £75 but how can a mid range android phone or TV cost less than an injection/blow moulded bit plastic

Given that I'd only really use a frunk for my Type 2 cable, and that sits on top of the plastic "engine bay" cover (under the bonnet) anyway, I can't see the point.

Pretty much every EV could have a "frunk" with minimal effort. It's strange that so many don't especially since almost every car journalist calls out the lack of on in their reviews.
Unless it is a decent size and the bonnet has a remote release and gas struts, it is a pain in the bum opening it up regularly to use it.

In practice, people don't use them that much, so it is a bit like range - everyone thinks they need more than they do, it can be comforting to have it available. But actually, we managed fine without frunks for 100 years.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom