MG4 Frunk now available

Given that I'd only really use a frunk for my Type 2 cable, and that sits on top of the plastic "engine bay" cover (under the bonnet) anyway, I can't see the point.
Do you secure it in any way or does it just get compressed between the bonnet and plastic which in turn stops it moving?

Unless it is a decent size and the bonnet has a remote release and gas struts, it is a pain in the bum opening it up regularly to use it.

In practice, people don't use them that much, so it is a bit like range - everyone thinks they need more than they do, it can be comforting to have it available. But actually, we managed fine without frunks for 100 years.
I agree about the slight bottom pain lifting the bonnet but some months I don’t use the cable but often use the boot so it’s handier keeping the cable under the bonnet and not potentially having to empty the boot to lift the floor to find the cable.

Do you secure it in any way or does it just get compressed between the bonnet and plastic which in turn stops it moving?
It just lies there lightly compressed between the bay cover and the bonnet liner. The plugs are positioned towards the bonnet catch with the cable loop further up the cover. Mine came in a poly bag and that's what it lies inside. I think @Rolfe puts hers in the same place, although hers is in a cloth bag I believe.

I'm going to buy another frunk later this year, because it's a pain to empty the entire trunk on vacation to get under it. The way I see it, anything emergency related (except crash related stuff) you can get out of the trunk/passenger compartment is a big plus.

charging cable, granny charger, battery booster come to mind. Just stuff that moved away from the lower trunk give me more space there to play with. But before I buy the frunk, I want to mount gas struts on the bonnet.

Has anyone been brave enough to try rerouting the plumbing and cabling under the bonnet? There is a lot of empty space between bits in there so shifting the innards about could create a decent amount of storage.

Unless it is a decent size and the bonnet has a remote release and gas struts, it is a pain in the bum opening it up regularly to use it.

In practice, people don't use them that much, so it is a bit like range - everyone thinks they need more than they do, it can be comforting to have it available. But actually, we managed fine without frunks for 100 years.
You are right... We managed without for a hundred years. That comment will push me over the top and realise this is my final effort into this Frunk business. Way to expensive for a mould injected piece of plastic and the gain is way too low.

It just lies there lightly compressed between the bay cover and the bonnet liner. The plugs are positioned towards the bonnet catch with the cable loop further up the cover. Mine came in a poly bag and that's what it lies inside. I think @Rolfe puts hers in the same place, although hers is in a cloth bag I believe.

Correct. I just chuck the thing on top of the plastic tray, in the bag it came in, and close the bonnet on top of it. It works perfectly. I saw a reviewer do it in a YouTube video and just copied what she did.

Correct. I just chuck the thing on top of the plastic tray, in the bag it came in, and close the bonnet on top of it. It works perfectly. I saw a reviewer do it in a YouTube video and just copied what she did.
I’ve done the same from day one except for the latter half of my ZS ownership when I had a frunk box. That was excellent as it held granny and her extension as well. But I’ve never bothered with a frunk box in the five and don’t even use the zipped MG bag any more. Coil the cable, plugs pointing forward and that’s it. I remove the cable at service time because the technician gives you a scolding and 200 lines for having anything stored under the bonnet 😱

ABLVV86lXVzsOlVK4Qe5ETZVU6oUGuo5xa19wh_qtiZLDTNWvhkyx_YsnnyBoe-5jsTbk-Agfu2gIBdJZxzGWDUC95gHmbkOdHNDeht7ej1Cl8vjcAKHYbvr7CFlmWrtZ8kPuUmsTkZa0yK-bL_uV-TIS-dc-SVcSAuA1x3h_DO87n9ldPL4heKOAcoB0_MRS3VkLzHC94iGpFa0H1gGMqxxsb2pi-667Pt6NiN-jgxx8gJAXhuKIlCqTu408GqJBiNdSKBO_bh-JHs9r4Rr2dtaBbgDj_5W28RdplZS819ir9NwfP3CxII1E00k76Ybo1CzJgKkT4v_JWCXNet1LOidFYnhJUnFNUWe0ctRhpQYvGye6ARTgiYm91Qz6ByxKpu4ZXRlX7M26YdBkKjy-Kjdl61D1nWlwXf3t-1YGKKYuHNEmTBqWplZ1zoWsvPxJN4k7Vov81FvASMQbcmmhjYVVg6FJ4x_ugT-7niUCpRzb_PZN_CRQCgBvE8eeNsQ-33z8EsT2b3iIDOPDwPj198NRMuzOW8dhlXCe4nroeeLFufak1ZsAZeaINObbKio6yo8TmMjl3viUdJbedCuG9f9tahkmAEJB5iyl3nDRQ4ow8YgwEpgP0_7491iwXhNaLKgKZ28qmTINcLbniUEkrt-k7M72OEaSWIk1KZTvlKLDjycKNX65C6jW9Y3hRWgWSQ3sQRPwJI0Fq_hFlLF9G7HngoeHgOG_0PsPE6LqbY_xnc8pSBIx0Uh6rEgJUuJ1dbU4ABLKb6tZ4FRj1st2AsuKg4WFBI_DubhAlAytwOACnxAgU-p8VGdEuOT-szoR0U50-eDtyTVPsahmObK7bplWDlxmKLzRHQgTVZ6XGlKyt7BneWJXzYKupDLGjp7sSONf4_p-D8WrcrAdspUSKgJGrqWsHDn5FdrrIOIR_iEgE4_N3mBcK7kmVOt-5pA9a3whKMl71UJseLhVgLW=w1287-h723-no
There's not that much need for buying this, it's room enough for a bag with charging cable, the V2L cable and some extra cans with washer fluids under the bonnet

There you go, it's loaded, I was able to put in it: my my charger for the house and my T2/T2 cable, my cable for the V2l, an energy meter, my 3 high visibility vests for the rear passengers that I never have, my Witter sign collar, and part of gloves and some rags. You don't need to add anything more but I have the under trunk free.
I tested the container with the bottles of coke for those who are interested and to get an idea of the volume: I was able to put 2 bottles of 1.75 liters of coke and one 30 cans of 33 cl.

All levels are accessible

Attachments

• frunk2.jpg
    frunk2.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 162
  • frunk1.jpg
    frunk1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 159
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel