MG4 granny charger

MoGaafar

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi fellows,

I have a question here,

I'm an MG4 owner in the UK, can I use the supplied granny charger on any socket in the house?

Like the one in the garden used for the lawn mower?

Thanks in advance.

Hi fellows,

I have a question here,

I'm an MG4 owner in the UK, can I use the supplied granny charger on any socket in the house?

Thanks in advance.
Yes but, the socket need to be properly wired in good condition. Keep an eye on it when you start using the 13amp, some people have had problems with the socket overheating and causing burn marks around the live pin. That said Ive used mine for the last 6 months from 3 different outlets without any issues including leaving it on for 10 hours continuous. just be wary of using an extension lead.

Thanks for your help, I'll keep an eye on it then, the problem that I might need to keep it charging for like 24 hours to be fully charged 😆

I put in my own plug/circuit for it with 6mm² cable coupled to a 25 A breaker

The other circuits on my house overload easily and trip the breakers which was troublesome when cooking dinner or something

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but, the socket need to be properly wired in good condition. Keep an eye on it when you start using the 13amp, some people have had problems with the socket overheating and causing burn marks around the live pin. That said Ive used mine for the last 6 months from 3 different outlets without any issues including leaving it on for 10 hours continuous. just be wary of using an extension lead.
And if you have to use an extension make sure you uncoil ALL of the cable from the reel or coil. (Mind you it’s really best to always do that whenever using an extension to save it overheating)

Hi fellows,

I have a question here,

Thanks in advance.
How old is the socket and has it been used much?
If the terminals are loose or worn then drawing 2.2kW for 24 hours will generate a bit of heat.
Get it checked out and replaced with a good quality new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be looking to granny charge when I get my XPower next week - will be using an extension to begin with and will get an outdoor socket with RCD installed to prevent using an extnesion cable.....my house just had a full rewire 6 months ago so should be good.

Neighbour across the road as been granny charging for the last 3 years using same extension cable without issues - though I will closely monitor when i start using it

You can buy specific extension cables designed for EV granny charging that use a thicker diameter core wires. Wires need to be 1.5 sq.mm minimum to be safe. I have one for emergencies/visiting family. Extension lead has large outdoor waterproof socket, and inline RCD.

You can buy specific extension cables designed for EV granny charging that use a thicker diameter core wires. Wires need to be 1.5 sq.mm minimum to be safe. I have one for emergencies/visiting family. Extension lead has large outdoor waterproof socket, and inline RCD.
Hi where did you get this from? Have got a self catering break coming up pre Christmas and unsure of proximity to indoor sockets. For next year I have made sure properties have home chargers, but would be handy if they dont work.
Thank you

The cable arrived today, excellent service from Tough Leads. It is a solid bit of kit, with upgraded cable etc, works ok and well worth the money imho. How often it will be used beyond next month who knows, but will be there just in case. However the MG4 has its charge flap on the opposite side to the EV6 and should my home charger fail I can then plug into mains socket in the garage without having to awkwardly reverse in.
I bought mine from Tough Leads. They were recommended by someone else on this forum.
Thank you for the heads up

Hi fellows,

I have a question here,

Thanks in advance.
Hi
could you use the one in the garden and do you know how this has been wired in, the lawnmower motor would be around the same wattage as the granny charger but the lawmower is only use for a short time. Would have it all checked by an electrician before using.

Last edited:
Hi
could you use the one in the garden and do you know how this has been wired in, the lawnmower motor would be around the same wattage as the granny charger but is only use for a short time. Would have it all checked by an electrician before using.
I’ll have nightmares next worrying about hoards of Grannies on their Xpower mowers drifting over vast lawns of ice plants 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Hi fellows,

I have a question here,

Thanks in advance.
The socket in the garden needs to be wired to the same spec as the house sockets. If you use an extension lead it’s best to have one that’s made for granny charging. Then If the socket overheats there’s likely a fault with the wiring that’s needs looking at. I use my granny charger a lot and the socket is barely warm throughout.

Standard household extension cords are not good enough & will overheat. They may say rated at 10 amps but that is more like the peak than continuous. 1.5mm copper is the minimum. 2.5mm is used in heavy duty cable & will run at continuous 20 amps. This is the size of TPS cable that supplies your 3 pin socket so long as it was installed by a licenced Electrician & not a do it yourselfer.

Hi fellows,

I have a question here,

Thanks in advance.
Sorry but I don't know how to start a new thread SO - here is my QUESTION can I use an MG granny charger 3pin to Type to on my Renault Zoë without blowing either of them up? Are they generic products?

You'll notice on the iSmart app the the charge rate for a granny charger; it varies (MG5) between 1.78-1.92kw. That's approx 8-9amps. Nevertheless, since I've been using a granny since 2020 (ZS, now MG5) yet the (IP65) socket recently replaced. And it's not that expensive. I suggest your shed socket be replaced asap.

2.5 sq mm is better, and keep cable as short as possible because you will lose charging power due to cable resistance. 👍

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back