MG4 Insurance quote

Cabbages

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Insurance is set to renew in a couple weeks after buying the car in April. I've been bracing for the worst, but it's even worse than that and comparison sites only give me higher quotes.

Model: 23 reg SE LR (phase 1)
Renewal quote: £1380 (literally double what I was paying last year for my old Fabia)
Lowest comparison quote: ~£1500

Demographics:
Relatively new driver in the UK, passed practical June 2021
3 years no claims bonus
Age bracket: 30-35
Homeowner

Am I getting shafted or is this normal? Anything I can change to lower it?

Although they're not specific to the MG4, there are a couple of threads about this in the General Chat subforum, which might help you a bit.

There was a national news story this week - one EV driver's renewal quote going from £1k to £5k and others having it refused by companies that didnt cover EVs anymore (having done so previously).

Try Aviva online. Admittedly I'm older, 20+ years no claims, garaged, but just bought MG4 XPower and paid £340 comprehensive insurance!

Try Aviva online. Admittedly I'm older, 20+ years no claims, garaged, but just bought MG4 XPower and paid £340 comprehensive insurance!
Nope, was quoted £1700 through Aviva, that's even including the discount I get through my work.

My Tesla M3 performance fully comp £500 last year.
Chopped it in for MG4 SE £750 ( first batch, not many insurance had it on system at the time)
This year renewal £1100, but managed to get it down to £584 with Aviva Zero.
In the meantime, I got a quote for the same Tesla just out of curiosity, quoted 1300!!

Played around a bit more and surprisingly a quote for the X power was £845 and Smart Brabus even cheaper at £700. I genuinely expected both to be well over a grand!

I used Aviva last December and it came in at £394 - not had a renewal notice yet as its a couple of months off, but a quick meerkat search is bringing up Aviva at £731, and curiously quite a few quotes around that mark. Best is Hastings, who I was with prior to the MG4 but they didn't have it on their system when I needed it last year, but it is a telematics policy at £582

It seems very wrong to me that a legal requirement has no regulation or control of prices - you have to have it but the suppliers can charge whatever they can get away with :(

One way to think about it is that every £100 of insurance premium cost is 1p/mile if you do 10,000 miles a year.

So if you are paying £500, it is 5p a mile, £1000 is 10p/mile.

Since cheap night rate electricity typically means a cost of 2-3p/mile, this can make a significant difference to your overall running costs.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back